Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

bowhnterdon

Do you guys even understand the process for "dues checkoff"???

As I understand it, UPS's Payroll Dept only processes the specific monetary deductions requested from the Locals.
UPS is not responsible for keeping track of who owes what, the Union is....and rightfully so.

While I tend to agree that there is obviously a "disconnect" somewhere in this scenario, it seems grossly unfair to assume all the culpability lies with the Company.
Actually if I had to bet, I would put my money on the notion that the Local made the mistake.

Posting this pains me, as I have a deep seeded bias in regards to most of these type of situations, but what's right and fair is rarely gray.

In the end, in my opinion, this is just another instance where "autonomy" is giving the IBT a black eye.
Shouldn't their be a formula that is followed unilaterally, nationwide, to deal with seasonal and vacation replacement workers and what they owe the Union in regards to dues and initiation/hazing fees???
When I was in Office, Ups only took out what the Local requested. No questions asked. If we said $10 it was $10. So, I agree, the Union is most likely to blame

Karma...

I would think that "initiation fee"by definition only applies to people who have made their probationary period and are hired as possible permanent (?) employees and not as seasonal people. hence the initiation into the teamsters..its a curious situation and not in the spirit of the holidays !

542thruNthru

Union dues don’t go towards the pension; they go towards pinky rings.

giphy-13.gif

Yolo

It's legit what this guy Austin is saying, the entire net amount of your paycheck gone to initiation fee. wow. ok I get it but at least a heads up that they gonna grab your entire check. To top it off it's this Time of year when people need their $. Local 25 could've done better. Not a good look

Is this fixed yet? Don't be afraid to drag these dip:censored2:s to court.

SoCalUPS

Let me explain what happened. Initiation is due. UPS made a clerical error by authorizing the complete amount. Since the money is owed, the Union will not give you a dime back. I tell all new hires to never authorize dues check-off while you are paying initiation fees. The Union could care less how many hours you work, they want your money. Be careful what forms you sign at your Union. Always self pay until your initiation is completely paid. I've been a victim of this as well. Couldn't pay my rent because the Local took all my check

PT Car Washer

Let me explain what happened. Initiation is due. UPS made a clerical error by authorizing the complete amount. Since the money is owed, the Union will not give you a dime back. I tell all new hires to never authorize dues check-off while you are paying initiation fees. The Union could care less how many hours you work, they want your money. Be careful what forms you sign at your Union. Always self pay until your initiation is completely paid. I've been a victim of this as well. Couldn't pay my rent because the Local took all my check
Are you still going to work everyday?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Again, this is not how "dues check off" works.

The Union makes the specfic monetary request, then the Company withholds and forwards that amount to the Union.
It's not the Company's responsibility to keep track of who owes what and when, it's the Union's responsibility.

So in this specific scenario, where it wasn't an anomaly for an individual, rather an entire demographic among the workforce, it's highly unlikely that this was some sort of "UPS made clerical error".

RolloTony Brown Town

The Union makes the specfic monetary request, then the Company withholds and forwards that amount to the Union.
It's not the Company's responsibility to keep track of who owes what and when, it's the Union's responsibility.

So in this specific scenario, where it wasn't an anomaly for an individual, rather an entire demographic among the workforce, it's highly unlikely that this was some sort of "UPS made clerical error".

This is exactly what happened. No offense to the guys coming to the defense of the teamsters but just because you’re a teamster represented employee or they’ve been good to you doesn’t mean they are exempt from making mistakes.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
This is exactly what happened. No offense to the guys coming to the defense of the teamsters but just because you’re a teamster represented employee or they’ve been good to you doesn’t mean they are exempt from making mistakes.
The defense is based on it being a mistake as opposed to one guy in local 25 being corrupt as the title reads. Sometimes things happen because of repetition.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The defense is based on it being a mistake as opposed to one guy in local 25 being corrupt as the title reads. Sometimes things happen because of repetition.
How do you take that from the thread title, that "one guy in Local 25 being corrupt" being the accusation?

....also what "repetition" would ever justify withholding a $500 initiation fee and dues from a single check, for any employee, let alone a seasonal, non-seniority worker??

If it was truly "a mistake" by the Local, then shouldn't it also be the Local's mistake to correct???
Instead, according to the OP, it's the Company stepping up to make it right...

I can see where @RolloTony Brown Town sees those defending this Local, in this instance, as "homers".

This annual practice (and BC debate) as to whether temporary, non-seniority, seasonal employees with no expectation of gaining seniority being charged a $500 initiation/hazing fee is a continued black eye and PR nightmare for an organization (the IBT) that can hardly afford anymore bad press or internal turmoil.

Monthly dues....by all means, initiation fee....no way.

Last edited:

SoCalUPS

You are absolutely correct. "Dues check-off" should not work this way. All unpaid balances are in Titan. But dues coordinator does let Company payroll know how much is owed by a Member if it's for initiation. That way payroll takes portions at a time and not the entire amount. This is on the Company. Union will not offer a refund for monies owed.

Last edited by a moderator:
after that" mishap" last week now today's check no initiation or dues taken out? what the heck is that about? shop steward at Norwood who's a good guy told me he hasn't got an answer from local 25 at all since last week's debacle. Hmm. If it really was ups that made a mistake it would be an absolute :censored2: show with the union filing grievances! Nah this was a deliberate money grab by local 25.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are absolutely correct. "Dues check-off" should not work this way. All unpaid balances are in Titan. But dues coordinator does let Company payroll know how much is owed by a Member if it's for initiation. That way payroll takes portions at a time and not the entire amount. This is on the Company. Union will not offer a refund for monies owwd.
This is just not true, or the way it works at all.

....and if the OP's version of the story is accurate, it is on the Local Union, not the Company.

Care to make a wager?

Maplewood

UPS should be offering helper work to part-timers first. They are too tight and bull-headed to pay pension contributions on the part-timers extra hours so they go to the street. The reason helpers have to pay dues and initiation and that peak drivers only pay a fee(paid by the company) is because the bargained language is ment for teamsters to be helpers.

Why because they got dues that were going to them contractually like they were suppose to? It's just that typical UPS screwed it up and took out too much? And UPS didn't turn in the dues applications like they were suppose to? Or how about how UPS has been letting union employees work at a union job and not pay their dues for months? Don't feed me the bull :censored2: they were paying dues cause you're not even in my local.
The contract also says that it’ll take them in 32 dollar installments.