Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

anHOURover

Attachments

• 7A3B2D23-9D11-4C0E-91AB-EEBD2DDBDFD1.jpeg
    7A3B2D23-9D11-4C0E-91AB-EEBD2DDBDFD1.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 182

Karma...

Be practical.....Pay up...Save your receipts....If and when you leave make sure you get a union withdrawal card so if you work at a teamster job in the future you have already paid your initiation.

SoCalUPS

This is just not true, or the way it works at all.

....and if the OP's version of the story is accurate, it is on the Local Union, not the Company.

Care to make a wager?
Whether the Union requested to much or the Company took to much doesn't matter. They won't see a refund

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's a nice thought, but the reality is different.
Supervisors working during peak, is the result of a few things:

1) The company intentionally understaffing the operation.

Based on how many people you see taking the tour, that's not reality.
So. the Company "tries" to hire (for peanuts) and can't retain seasonal employees and that somehow entitles them to work supervisors???

Maybe if they paid better....

I say they do it by design, year round, and if the Union was smart they would assess every supervisor working to pay dues for the month and initiation fees.

2) People signing up to "double shift" and not showing up.

Happens every Saturday and Sunday sort.
Again, the need for "double shifting" screams understaffed and is not grounds for accepting the Company violating the Contract by working the army of part time supervisors that they keep on hand for just such occasions.

Make them pay dues for the month and initiation fees.

3) Part-time employee's that don't realize.. during peak.. it's not part-time.

Hence the reason, for overtime.

This one is my favorite.

Where does the Company (and you) get off expecting a "part time employee" to accommodate full time (and then some) expectations for a month and half out of the year.

Not only is this typically excruciatingly hard work to perform for 4 hours let alone 8 or more with only a ten minute break, it is also implied by definition of the term "part time" that these employees may have other interests and commitments outside of UPS.
These include school, other jobs, and parental responsibilities to name a few.

If the Company wants full time commitment from hub employees, they can create more 22.3 positions, until then they can consider supervisor working grievances the cost of doing business within their deficient, part time worker business model they exploit year round by supplementing supervisors doing our work.

Stop making weak excuses for the Company and start collecting dues and initiation fees when supervisors do bargaining unit work.

~Bbbl~™

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I missed your reply.

So. the Company "tries" to hire (for peanuts) and can't retain seasonal employees and that somehow entitles them to work supervisors???

I say they do it by design, year round, and if the Union was smart they would assess every supervisor working to pay dues for the month and initiation fees.

Again, the need for "double shifting" screams understaffed and is not grounds for accepting the Company violating the Contract by working the army of part time supervisors that they keep on hand for just such occasions.

I can't disagree with your line of thinking.

But....

If the company follows the contract by "exhausting all means" to cover the

work, what is the contract violation ? And, how would you (contractually)

force PT supes to pay dues ? The provision isn't there.

This one is my favorite.

Where does the Company (and you) get off expecting a "part time employee" to accommodate full time (and then some) expectations for a month and half out of the year.

Where do part-time employee's (and you) think there is a contractual exception

to the hours they are required to work ? Hence, the overtime language.

This one is my favorite.

Yep.... mine too.

Not only is this typically excruciatingly hard work to perform for 4 hours

Wow.

Can you be any more melodramatic ?

It might be hard work.

And some newbie, could bruise their thumbs and forefingers.... that would

require them to seek medical treatment, so they can operate their phone.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I missed your reply.
My reply was somewhat belated, but you have been noticeably absent as well???
I can't disagree with your line of thinking.

But....

If the company follows the contract by "exhausting all means" to cover the

work, what is the contract violation ? And, how would you (contractually)

force PT supes to pay dues ? The provision isn't there.
How do you quantify (or qualify) the term "exhausting all means"???
While the contract provides for minimums in regards to compensation, when they do nothing or little to "sweeten the pot" to make the job competitive with other local employers, can it be said that they "exhausted all means"?

As far as how to make the argument to charge these part time supervisors to pay dues, I believe the legal term is "preponderance of evidence"???
Show that the Supe working isn't an anomaly, rather a daily occurrence....and make the argument that they were a "seasonal worker" supervising nobody, much as they do when they have fledgling supervisor candidates drive during Peak.

Show me a Center Manager who doesn't claim that they were once a "package car driver"???

This argument has even more traction in the Central Region during the "vacation replacement" period, where every day counts towards seniority, and many supervisors have used that provision to cross over to the Union side of the fence.

....or wait for it, write it into the contract???
Where do part-time employee's (and you) think there is a contractual exception

to the hours they are required to work ? Hence, the overtime language.
By definition of the term "part time" vs "full time"???

Full time implies a "career", while part time asserts a "partial commitment".

Overtime language provides for a pay scale, not employee obligation.

I would love to argue this notion in front of an unbiased arbitrator.
Wow.

Can you be any more melodramatic ?

It might be hard work.

And some newbie, could bruise their thumbs and forefingers.... that would

require them to seek medical treatment, so they can operate their phone.
No drama here at all...???

Not sure of what your frame of reference is, but the packages we process only seem to get bigger, while the "smalls" go to the Post Office (in bags of 50's or more).

When I refused to go home "hours only" a few Saturday's ago, they stuck me in the metro unload for my last two hours....can't imagine doing that, or anything similar, for 8+ hours.

I have to believe if you were to experience this first hand, you would need your "bruised thumbs and forefingers" to dial 911.

Last edited:

What'dyabringmetoday???

This one is my favorite.

Not only is this typically excruciatingly hard work to perform for 4 hours let alone 8 or more with only a ten minute break, it is also implied by definition of the term "part time" that these employees may have other interests and commitments outside of UPS.
These include school, other jobs, and parental responsibilities to name a few.

If the Company wants full time commitment from hub employees, they can create more 22.3 positions, until then they can consider supervisor working grievances the cost of doing business within their deficient, part time worker business model they exploit year round by supplementing supervisors doing our work.

Stop making weak excuses for the Company and start collecting dues and initiation fees when supervisors do bargaining unit work.

~Bbbl~™
If Big Union Guy says this is the way it is, this is the....way it is. Lol.

SoCalUPS

They re-instated the $32 payment plan after they got all the money? How crooked is that??
The coward union had no comment. At least man up and own it.
Like I stated before, the Union won't give the money back. Maybe the labor charge helps. What I don't understand is how anyone in that Local office didn't realize this nonsense? And after being called by multiple Members during the holidays, how did they not make it right??? The Teamsters are going downhill fast

rod

Retired 22 years
Like I stated before, the Union won't give the money back. Maybe the labor charge helps. What I don't understand is how anyone in that Local office didn't realize this nonsense? And after being called by multiple Members during the holidays, how did they not make it right??? The Teamsters are going downhill fast
Union membership is steadily going down hill and CRAP like this don’t help their image. Whoever was responsible for this should be tarred and feathered and ran out of town.

trickpony1

Whoever was responsible for this should be tarred and feathered and ran out of town.

It's all a "money grab".

I vividly remember many years ago, when I was a PT preloader, sitting at the BA's desk at the union hall expressing a concern (about what...I don't remember).

The BA's response was, "...you're lucky to have a job.".

I still remember that incident.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's just so painfully obvious.

If a seasonal employee works for 5 weeks, Local 25 can only receive $160 from that employee in initiation fees under the past system, instead of $500, so they changed the rules....all to be "initiated" into a Union they have no expectation to even be a member of after that 5 weeks.

It's shameful if this Local doesn't step up and make it right, and embarrassing to the IBT as a whole.

Isn't the President of this Local (Sean O) claiming to be a "reformer" now and running for IBT President in the next General Election with Fred Z???

Not a good look....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It's all a "money grab".

I vividly remember many years ago, when I was a PT preloader, sitting at the BA's desk at the union hall expressing a concern (about what...I don't remember).

The BA's response was, "...you're lucky to have a job.".

I still remember that incident.

Were you talking to the BUG