Local 2727 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi-Wan

You airline mechanics are being dangerously close to being out of a job. Who supports you? You make way too much money for what you actually do. Call me names, it doesn't matter, you're still on your way out if you keep it up!

DOLdwg, maybe you should read up on what an Aircraft Mechanic is responsible for and the knowledge that has to be obtained, experience is key. High responsibility jobs usually coincide with good pay!

WHAT DOES AN AIRCRAFT MECHANIC DO?

AIRCRAFT MECHANICS have the important responsibility of keeping planes operating safely and efficiently. They service, repair, overhaul, and test aircraft.

Airframe and Power Plant (A&P) Mechanics work on various parts of the aircraft. The airframe includes the wings, fuselage, brakes, tail assembly, and the oil and fuel tanks. The power plant is the engine and propellers (if used) of the aircraft. Some of the important tasks they may perform include the following:
  • Adjust, align, and calibrate aircraft systems using hand tools, gauges, and test equipment.
  • Examine and inspect engines or other components for cracks, breaks, or leaks.
  • Test engine and system operations using test equipment.
  • Listen to engines to detect and diagnose malfunctions.
  • Use tools such as ignition analyzers, compression checkers, distributor timers, and ammeters.
  • Take apart and inspect parts for wear, warping, or other defects.
  • Maintain aircraft systems by flushing crankcases, cleaning screens, greasing moving parts, and checking brakes.
  • Assemble and install electrical, plumbing, mechanical, hydraulic, structural, parts, and accessories.
  • Use hand tools and power tools.
  • Remove or install engine using hoist or forklift truck.
  • Read, understand, and work from aircraft maintenance manuals and specifications.
  • Modify air or spacecraft systems, or components.
  • Ride aircraft and make necessary in-flight adjustments and corrections.
Aircraft Body Repairers, also known as Aircraft Body and Bonded Structure Repairers, perform the following tasks:
  • Reinstall repaired or replacement parts using riveting or welding tools, clamps, and wrenches.
  • Repair, replace, and rebuild aircraft structures and sections, such as wings, fuselage, rigging, and hydraulic units.
  • Repair or fabricate aircraft sections or parts, using metal fabricating machines, saws, brakes, shears, and grinders.
  • Trim and shape replacement section to specified size and fit.
  • Secure section in place using adhesives, hand tools, and power tools.
  • Read work orders, blueprints, and specifications.
  • Examine sample or damaged part or structure to determine repair or fabrication procedures and steps of operations.
  • Locate and mark dimension and reference lines on defective or replacement part using templates, scribes, compass, and steel rule.
  • Remove or cut out defective part or drill holes to gain access to internal defect or damage, using drill and punch.
  • Communicate with other workers to fit and align heavy parts or discuss processing of repair parts.
  • Clean, strip, prime, and sand structural surfaces and materials prior to bonding.
  • Cure bonded structure, using portable or stationary curing equipment.
  • Spread plastic film over area to be repaired to prevent damage to surrounding area.

fr8dog

You airline mechanics are being dangerously close to being out of a job. Who supports you? You make way too much money for what you actually do. Call me names, it doesn't matter, you're still on your way out if you keep it up!

Who supports us ???????????? The pilots and all the ups teamsters? So no planes and no trucks.

brownone

Who supports us ???????????? The pilots and all the ups teamsters? So no planes and no trucks.

Wtihout UPS you are just Teamsters and IPA members without jobs. If there is a mechanic works stoppage it will benefit neither side, but it is unavoidable. A Corporation making money is not evil and does not mean that it is a give a way program to the employee's. This includes management and hourly. Mechanics will pay for benefits in some way shape or form. Before you throw Scott Davis at me, if you want his job go apply for it. If there is a work stoppage, there will most likely be less folks working in all facets of the company then there are now when it ends. Yes this will include management.

UPSSOCKS

WHAT!!!!!!! If you think the ground operation will strike for a bunch of overpaid, ungrateful, lazy, mechanics then your are officially nuts. I am glad you think that, because atleast it will let you know what your "brotherhood" cares about.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
NMB Denies Teamsters Request For Release From UPS Negotiations 06/01 01:34 PM

United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS:$61.17,00$-1.59,00-2.53%) applauded a decision by the National Mediation Board late Tuesday to keep Teamsters-represented aircraft mechanics at the negotiating table.
"The company and union can reach an agreement through ongoing negotiations," UPS spokesman Norman Black said in a prepared statement.
Robert Combine, president of Teamsters Local 2727 in Louisville, Ky., didn't have an immediate reaction to the development.
Last week, the union requested that the National Mediation Board release the aircraft mechanics from contract negotiations, citing "more than four years of bargaining without reaching an agreement."
The release would have triggered a 30-day countdown leading up to a potential strike, provided either side rejected requests for binding arbitration.
Combine said in a statement last week that the UPS aircraft mechanics didn't want to strike but had voted "overwhelmingly to do so" if UPS continued to take an unreasonable negotiating tact.
Black said Tuesday that UPS has been negotiating in good faith, and he voiced confidence that an acceptable agreement can be reached.

National Mediation Board Declines to Release Union from Negotiations with UPS 06/01 01:59 PM

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The National Mediation Board has denied a request to be released from contract negotiations filed by the Teamsters local that represents airline mechanics at UPS (NYSE:UPS).
The request to the Board was made last week by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters on behalf of Local 2727, which represents UPS’s airline mechanics. The NMB denied the request in a notice sent to UPS and the union today.
The NMB’s notice states simply that the record of the negotiations to date demonstrates a release is not in order at this time. The decision means that UPS and Local 2727 remain in recess, subject to the mediator's call back to the negotiating table.
“UPS is pleased that the NMB has denied the Teamsters' request for a release from mediation because we believe the company and union can reach an agreement through on-going negotiations,” the company said in a statement.
“It is important to remember that our mechanics already have the best jobs in their industry and we are offering to enhance their position. We are ready to finalize a contract that rewards our employees while allowing us to remain competitive. We look forward to returning to the table.”

mrv

DOLdwg you need to "Just Calm Down"....In the end we will have a contract, and you can continue to sit in the AGB pushing reports. For a lot more money than we are asking for. Just remember you would not be making nearly as much without our 43$ base.

mrv

Dol this is just off the web what do you think will happen next?. See if you can make respond without the friend- word. BTW DOL I did not report you, you can use as many friend-words as you want!!

Last edited:

mrv

Sorry DOL I cannot make the link work. Take a chill pill and "Just Calm Down"

Last edited:

geneva54

We are better off just leaving things the way they are and letting the economy recover even more. RIght now we are getting decent pay and not paying for healthcare. No worries...............it's all good:happy-very:

pomf

Good. At least the NMB has some common sense.

We are better off just leaving things the way they are and letting the economy recover even more. RIght now we are getting decent pay and not paying for healthcare. No worries...............it's all good:happy-very:

It you happy with the current situation, why did you vote to strike? That makes no sense. Also, if you think the company will change their position in the future... keep dreaming.

mrv

Being denied a release definitly took away a good barganing chip. Now we wait for the next round of talks. If somthing is not hammered out by October we start all over. Enjoy the contract you have now.....its going to be a long summer.

Obi-Wan

How much did it cost UPS to get the NMB to side with them? Spirit Pilots make double what the mechanics do, but they got released?

Glad we got Obama in there who is supposed to be on the side of the unions.

It's funny that people comment that aircraft mechanics make too much money, what about the drivers? $31/hr to drive a truck? FedEx drivers get $26/hr. I'm not saying that you shouldn't fight for what you can get, don't get me wrong, but don't say we make too much money! If we pay for health insurance, you will pay for health insurance and someone that is part-time might as well go on welfare!

I think it's time to lay off another 100 mechanics. People that say, "no big deal, we can wait another year for a contract", tick me off!!! I know people that I have worked with that are laid off now with families and no insurance, quit being selfish and fight for your brothers & sisters. Because times are good for you, doesn't mean it's good for the 150 that are laid off. Whomever said they can wait another year for a contract, "pays good, free healthcare", I hope you are one of the 100 that are about to get laid off! It's time to think of someone other than yourselves and stick together. YOU COULD BE NEXT!!!

UPSSOCKS

How much did it cost UPS to get the NMB to side with them? Spirit Pilots make double what the mechanics do, but they got released?

It's funny that people comment that aircraft mechanics make too much money, what about the drivers? $31/hr to drive a truck? FedEx drivers get $26/hr. I'm not saying that you shouldn't fight for what you can get, don't get me wrong, but don't say we make too much money! If we pay for health insurance, you will pay for health insurance and someone that is part-time might as well go on welfare!

I think it's time to lay off another 100 mechanics. People that say, "no big deal, we can wait another year for a contract", tick me off!!! I know people that I have worked with that are laid off now with families and no insurance, quit being selfish and fight for your brothers & sisters. Because times are good for you, doesn't mean it's good for the 150 that are laid off. Whomever said they can wait another year for a contract, "pays good, free healthcare", I hope you are one of the 100 that are about to get laid off! It's time to think of someone other than yourselves and stick together. YOU COULD BE NEXT!!!

Cry me a river... Should of made sound investments to prepare for these kinds of things......

UPSSOCKS

Even the NMB knows you are way out of line.... WORK AS INSTRUCTED OR HIT THE ROAD...... And for what it is worth drivers packages and feeder, have a much more difficult job than you do....

Status
Not open for further replies.