LOCAL 391 is GARBAGE

wilberforce15

You seem to be confusing our pensions with Social Security. Last time I checked both of our plans were in great shape. And giving sound financial advice isn’t the mark of a boomer. I’ll listen to any good advice from anyone. This younger TiKTok generation should as well. They really need it.
There is no chance our pensions survive the next 30 years and give me anything.

PT Car Washer

There is no chance our pensions survive the next 30 years and give me anything.
Okay. So what is the plan? Live off of Social Security like so many try to do. Works real well if you live in a tent and ride a bicycle around picking up pop cans for the $.05 deposit money. Winters can be a bit rough.

wilberforce15

Okay. So what is the plan? Live off of Social Security like so many try to do. Works real well if you live in a tent and ride a bicycle around picking up pop cans for the $.05 deposit money. Winters can be a bit rough.
I'm making plenty of money outside UPS, which is why I stay part-time for benefits.

wilberforce15

I make plenty of money working for UPS. Plus being a PT delivery driver at top rate when needed.
That's great. Everyone under 50 should completely provide for their own retirement, assuming UPS isn't going to be there.

But back to the point of the thread, it makes perfect economic sense for me to stay at UPS, because I have massive benefits expenses without UPS, and I make a good rate with lots of vacation.

It makes little or not sense for anyone in my area to start at UPS - they don't need the benefits, they get paid more for easier work elsewhere, and they don't have vacation. That's why PTers will never show up at union meetings. If they want a better deal, they quit their job.

PT Car Washer

That's great. Everyone under 50 should completely provide for their own retirement, assuming UPS isn't going to be there.

But back to the point of the thread, it makes perfect economic sense for me to stay at UPS, because I have massive benefits expenses without UPS, and I make a good rate with lots of vacation.

It makes little or not sense for anyone in my area to start at UPS - they don't need the benefits, they get paid more for easier work elsewhere, and they don't have vacation. That's why PTers will never show up at union meetings. If they want a better deal, they quit their job.
Working PT at UPS was the dream job for collage kids. Made the same hourly rate as FT and OT after 5 hours. Which was very rare except at Christmas. Holidays and weekends off. Hardly anyone figured on a pension and very few used the medical benefits.

wilberforce15

Working PT at UPS was the dream job for collage kids. Made the same hourly rate as FT and OT after 5 hours. Which was very rare except at Christmas. Holidays and weekends off. Hardly anyone figured on a pension and very few used the medical benefits.
Yep. It used to be a good job. That's why PTers used to participate.

Now, they have no reason to apply, let alone stay, and definitely not attend a union meeting.

wilberforce15

That was in the Central Region and 40 years ago. Get over it.

It still is a good "short term" job.

Unless.... both of you career PT employees can't grasp the understanding of it.

It's not a good short term job. You get lower pay, no benefits, and harder work than you do at local retailers.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's not a good short term job. You get lower pay, no benefits, and harder work than you do at local retailers.
All of these contractual inadequacies you complain about are the direct result of part-timers being so apathetic for the past three decades. You keep blaming the current conditions that YOU ALL created on reasons why younger employees should go elsewhere and without noticing the irony . LMFAO

wilberforce15

All of these contractual inadequacies you complain about are the direct result of part-timers being so apathetic for the past three decades. You keep blaming the current conditions that YOU ALL created on reasons why younger employees should go elsewhere and without noticing the irony . LMFAO
Old guys looked out for you. Part timers didn't vote in the 60s. Or 70s. Or 80s. Or 90s. Or 00s. For as long as they've existed, part timers have never, and will never vote at the same rate. Or anywhere close.

Fulltimers will always have more of a vested interest and more participation. It is your job to sell the next generation on the benefits of the brotherhood. It's not their job to take the hits for your increased wages.

You are the entitled, whiny one. Typical boomer.

wilberforce15

You voted for contracts that made the job crappy, and then blame the people who don't want to do it. Such a joke.