Low seniority, full time driver forced to work local sort after delivery? Is this allowed?

johnny_hotdog

This all may depend on what region you are in and what the supplements say. I know in the central they cannot force you to go help another driver once you have finished your work. I would assume that they could not force you to local sort either. I am pretty low on the list and I have been asked to help many times and I usually do but if I have something going on or if they don't give me a day or two notice that they want help I will most likely say no.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This all may depend on what region you are in and what the supplements say. I know in the central they cannot force you to go help another driver once you have finished your work. I would assume that they could not force you to local sort either. I am pretty low on the list and I have been asked to help many times and I usually do but if I have something going on or if they don't give me a day or two notice that they want help I will most likely say no.

How are they going to be able to give you a day or two notice that they may need help on the local sort?

While they may not be able to force you to go help another driver I am pretty sure they can force you to help out on the local sort, as needed.

OPTION3

We can force you if we go from the bottom.

It isn't so clear cut as to why we are short. Like Friday, a bunch of people called in because they decided they wanted a 4 day weekend. So we should have a bunch of people in reserve for days like that? I staff 10% over our general need which covers vacations and call outs. But if a large group decides they don't want to work, I have no choice but to ask drivers to unload their trucks.

It isn't always about the company being cheap.
Expect the unexpected

OPTION3

How are they going to be able to give you a day or two notice that they may need help on the local sort?

While they may not be able to force you to go help another driver I am pretty sure they can force you to help out on the local sort, as needed.
FORCING does not work out well. We had a feeder driver forced to help load an air trailer in an outlying center....twisted an ankle...couldn't drive the air trailer to the airport.....as a result 5 air cans missed service......not a good day for the sup who made that decision. Side note....this just in from region.......feeder drivers are not to be forced to load trailers! Good choice

JL 0513

Yes they can force from the bottom after asking seniority, at least in most locals. Occasionally, you will have a day when half the local sort is out for one reason or another. And the sup is probably only going to know this an hour before the shift.

Would you rather see the sups unloading cars? Didn't think so.

Pretty easy money too. $50/ hr to unload. The regular unloader is around $10 so obviously the company does what it can to avoid this but they can't over hire for the occasional mass callout.

BrownArmy

Can't in my district. We aren't allowed to let PTers get any OT or double shift.

And here's part of the problem...

UPS would rather pay OT for a FT driver than OT for a PTer.

Brilliant.

I can understand why they would cut routes and load up drivers...it's cheaper to pay four FT drivers OT than it is to put out five routes.

That at least makes sense, from a financial standpoint.

But using FT drivers and paying them OT because you are unable to give PTers overtime?

UPS - bending over to pick up a shiny dime, while silver dollars are falling out...

542thruNthru

If you don't mind the extra work then great. If you do not like it then I suggest this. Go VERY slow. When they tell you to speed up throw as many miss sorts as you can. When they yell at you for that. Go VERY slow. Rinse and repeat. Two days of that and they will be begging other people to work instead of you.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

So rather than pay some kid $10/hr for 8 hours they would rather pay a driver $50/hr for 1-2 hours?
Well after that 5 it would be overtime, but pretty much. It's a killer some days for both sorts. 4 days a week we are staffed just fine. But Monday I'm screwed, and Friday preload is screwed. It would help us a ton to be able to get someone from the other sort to help.

Always comical when we're late. "Why were you late?" You wouldn't let me double shift so I didn't have enough employees. "Not a good excuse." K.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If you don't mind the extra work then great. If you do not like it then I suggest this. Go VERY slow. When they tell you to speed up throw as many miss sorts as you can. When they yell at you for that. Go VERY slow. Rinse and repeat. Two days of that and they will be begging other people to work instead of you.
Or you can do what you're being paid to do and be an adult who does his job.

Comments like that are why unions get bad raps.

542thruNthru

Or you can do what you're being paid to do and be an adult who does his job.

Comments like that are why unions get bad raps.

I understand what you're saying but this company likes to turn a rare emergency into a twice a week thing.

Also he did the job he is paid to do. He is a FT driver. Should he also clean the toilets and his center manager car because he is being paid? Like I said helping out in an emergency is one thing but having to do it once a week is just plain ridiculous.