LU 177 "selective" Seniority.

542thruNthru

And let me just explain why I'm OK to take the hit later when I move to feeder. Because I work in probably the most desirable building/center in 177. If they allow package to package to retain seniority, there will be a tsunami of 15-20 year drivers transferring to my building. I have no interest in that. I'm worried about numero uno

I believe when you transfer building it's different. It should be center to center in each building

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

And let me just explain why I'm OK to take the hit later when I move to feeder. Because I work in probably the most desirable building/center in 177. If they allow package to package to retain seniority, there will be a tsunami of 15-20 year drivers transferring to my building. I have no interest in that. I'm worried about numero uno
What's the most desirable bldg in 177?

dudebro

I'll bet he means Tinton Falls or maybe Lakewood. There are a ton of drivers up in Edison or even Meadowlands who live "down the shore" where houses are more affordable. If they had the chance, they'd NEVER take the Turnpike again...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They can't transfer unless there's a job available right? So in order for there to be a tsunami of drivers there would have to be a tsunami of new jobs or retirements, and since you guys bid for life the job they transfer in on would be the job they stay on. I don't understand why you think you will have to go to a 6 month bid just because they retain their seniority when they transfer.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

They can't transfer unless there's a job available right? So in order for there to be a tsunami of drivers there would have to be a tsunami of new jobs or retirements, and since you guys bid for life the job they transfer in on would be the job they stay on. I don't understand why you think you will have to go to a 6 month bid just because they retain their seniority when they transfer.
If I have more seniority than him why wouldn't I be able to bump him.......why wouldn't the time I spent humping bundles give me the right to a more desirable delivery area

Every member in feeders that wants to make this change is out to better themselves.....if they weren't a red line would be acceptable to them but they don't want that because they would be fighting for something without personal gain
So are the the feeder street... It's a two way street... The main goal is to have everyone go to there rightful spot.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Don't you guys bid for life?

Another stupid idea. My local all package car routes are up for bid every spring. It all goes very smoothly.
Bid for life? Asinine!

In the Central Region, if you win a bid on a pkg car route....

You are on it until you bid a different route, and are allowed 3 bids per year.

The only stipulation being, you can't bid back to your original route

within the 1st year.

In feeders, there is an annual bid.

And seniority prevails when changing classifications.

(the exception being Local 135)

Works just fine.

-Bug-

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Package guys and gals do... He is just throwing sheet at the wall just to see if will stick... He isn't even in local 177.
What I'm asking is if I have more seniority than man in brown why wouldn't I be able to use my seniority to move to his building.....we both have the same qualifications....my seniority should count under the new rules

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What I'm asking is if I have more seniority than man in brown why wouldn't I be able to use my seniority to move to his building.....we both have the same qualifications....my seniority should count under the new rules
Yes you would be able to use your seniority to move his building by winning a bid on an open route. Given that bids are for life in 177 that would be your new route at least until you can bid on another open route.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Another stupid idea. My local all package car routes are up for bid every spring. It all goes very smoothly.
Bid for life? Asinine!
I wouldn't like it either. I can see the appeal for a junior driver who's terrified of getting bumped but for a senior driver it looks more like a trap.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bid for life? Asinine!
I wouldn't like it either. I can see the appeal for a junior driver who's terrified of getting bumped but for a senior driver it looks more like a trap.
I have been on my bid route since 2000.
The way I see it, you make a route what you want it to be when you win a bid.
It's had it's ups and downs as we went to the PAS system, then to ORION, with various supposed technological advancements designed to speed up my aging body in between....not.
But all in all, I have been able to keep things the way they need to be, with the help of 9.5 language and a whole bunch of fortitude.
I can't imagine having to rebid every year, as this route is mine, until I choose for it not to be.