Made "book", or "graduated" or "qualified" or whatever the hell you call it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
442257D0-3B12-4FD5-92EB-F58352B77BD9.gif
I am also echoing what other drivers are saying at my Center, not management. Many of the guys are able to retire and have been there forever and they all just say how short we are and it's a great job if you have good stress management. Saturday one guy told me how he could have retired years ago but he keeps at it because he loves the income and it's worth it.

PT Car Washer

He may, but he should understand that he has no real guarantees after peak. If he is in the Central he is in for a rude awakening after peak
Some new drivers figure out you can take a chance and drive 3 days a week and make more money then working inside 5 days a week. Your first few years of driving are not much fun. And it only gets worse after you make top rate.

Dumbo

By the way Burrhead I think you are hilarious. You're like a Browncafe tween who can't put their phone down during dinner because you have to comment and monitor every post on this site. What's even funnier is you're retired, hate the company with a passion, yet it has you by the balls 24 hours a day through this site. I think last time I posted, a month ago, you even told me you were on the beach on vacation with your son's while you were ranting against me, and I had to tell you to put your damn phone away and enjoy your family time. Whatever makes you happy, brother.

RoadKill25

Been a week since I qualified. I had ran 30 min or so under allowed every day since my 2nd week. I really like our supervisors and management at my Center. The drivers at our center have a generally positive attitude and are really helpful. Reading this site I never would have thought I could have done it, and actually enjoy it. Yes, it's stressful at times, and yes it not for everyone, but if you have a good work ethic, and a thick skin, you can do it. It sucks some days when I'm in it, but at the end of the day I feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of being a hard worker for my money, and a sense of comradery.

I've been thrown out blind several times now, in the dark, cold, starting with a blown out truck and I take it one stop at a time and don't get overly stressed.

Saturday sucked. We all had blown out trucks which we were still loading an hour after we started work, I had 210 stops, tons of apartments with closed offices which I had to bring back, and didn't get back until 930. But damn it felt good to make 5 1/2 hours of OT.

You can do this job if you have the right attitude. There are hubs hiring drivers off the streets regardless of what you see on this site...they cannot find enough people who actually can do the work or want to work hard. It's a new generation of work ethic and it's not easy to find hard workers. I also appreciate that although they are so short on drivers, they uphold their safety standards and absolutely will not just give people a pass. Lots of people still wash out.
I posted almost an identical summary on here 8 years ago (under a different name, can't remember login etc, it's been a while)...now 8 years later I've filed a greivence and have gotten into several arguments with management. all because of them taking advantage of drivers. while I still enjoy my job and generally like the managers, I now know they will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.

PT Car Washer

After 40 years I have seen what happens to new drivers and other employees including management. I love my job now because as long as I show up on time and look Like I am working I am making $34.10/hr PT and OT after 5 hours.

Dumbo

After 40 years I have seen what happens to new drivers and other employees including management. I love my job now because as long as I show up on time and look Like I am working I am making $34.10/hr PT and OT after 5 hours.

Exactly. Its not a sprint it's a marathon. It's all about the end game. You just said you love your job. Of course you do it for the money and benefits and stick it through the tough times. Trust me, I took a huge pay cut taking this job for the benefits of the long run.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
By the way Burrhead I think you are hilarious. You're like a Browncafe tween who can't put their phone down during dinner because you have to comment and monitor every post on this site. What's even funnier is you're retired, hate the company with a passion, yet it has you by the balls 24 hours a day through this site. I think last time I posted, a month ago, you even told me you were on the beach on vacation with your son's while you were ranting against me, and I had to tell you to put your damn phone away and enjoy your family time. Whatever makes you happy, brother.

Is that you, long time no see.see your still whining about the same things

Carry on with yo bad self

PT Car Washer

Exactly. Its not a sprint it's a marathon. It's all about the end game. You just said you love your job. Of course you do it for the money and benefits and stick it through the tough times. Trust me, I took a huge pay cut taking this job for the benefits of the long run.
I stick around to see just how much worse management can make the job. Routes going out with 130 stops to 150 to 180 to 200+. And when it all fails, sup calls me up to see what I can do.

Dumbo

Is that you, long time no see.see your still whining about the same things

Carry on with yo bad self

Here's the thing though. Just like last time we "spoke" I had to point out the fact that you were making inaccurate statements. Such is now, where you say I'm "whining about the same things", yet factually you cannot look through my posts and find a single whine. In fact, this post was a positive one on my own experience. It only reiterates that your contributions to this site are not to be taken seriously in any way. You were also the guy who said I was hired Seasonal and they were lying to me. You were also the guy who said I wouldn't make book. You also said they would send me home every day which they haven't. You simply are just factually wrong. I know, Burrhead. Facts are hard. Here's the other thing. I respect you for your years of hard work, and I know you have a great friendship among these internet people you don't know, but I don't respect insistant cynicism and social media posts counts. You must be the life of a party.

Really though, I'd love to see an honest reason why you spend so much of your time on here when, disgruntled, bitter, a naysayer for new hires, retired, and yet dwelling in the very environment that you loathe so much all day every day when you could unplug from it and spend more quality time with your loved ones. Please indulge. Mentally it doesn't seem very healthy.

Last edited:

Richard Cranium

Been a week since I qualified. I had ran 30 min or so under allowed every day since my 2nd week. I really like our supervisors and management at my Center. The drivers at our center have a generally positive attitude and are really helpful. Reading this site I never would have thought I could have done it, and actually enjoy it. Yes, it's stressful at times, and yes it not for everyone, but if you have a good work ethic, and a thick skin, you can do it. It sucks some days when I'm in it, but at the end of the day I feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of being a hard worker for my money, and a sense of comradery.

I've been thrown out blind several times now, in the dark, cold, starting with a blown out truck and I take it one stop at a time and don't get overly stressed.

Saturday sucked. We all had blown out trucks which we were still loading an hour after we started work, I had 210 stops, tons of apartments with closed offices which I had to bring back, and didn't get back until 930. But damn it felt good to make 5 1/2 hours of OT.

You can do this job if you have the right attitude. There are hubs hiring drivers off the streets regardless of what you see on this site...they cannot find enough people who actually can do the work or want to work hard. It's a new generation of work ethic and it's not easy to find hard workers. I also appreciate that although they are so short on drivers, they uphold their safety standards and absolutely will not just give people a pass. Lots of people still wash out.
If your numbers are correct you will be a wash as well. Sounds like HR may be a better path for you.

Dumbo

If your numbers are correct you will be a wash as well. Sounds like HR may be a better path for you.

Not sure I follow. By making scratch they are going to wash me out after I've made book?? So, they are going to come up to me and say, "Listen. You've been under allowed too much. We are going to move you to HR"?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I would think peak would be when the worst of the management attitudes come out, not when it's slow and easy for everyone.
peak is a vacation for ops supervisors, they don't have anyone in IE or the Ops Managers yelling at them for small crap

non-peak, especially in the summer, is the most stressful time by far, you'll see

you're not totally wrong with what you say, you're just not as right as you think

good luck

Dumbo

My sympathies to you and yours.

There's this thing called free will I've heard about. Basically how it works is that I plan on taking responsibility for my own choices, and changing the things I find I no longer want to partake in. So at some point if I decide that getting paid six figures and having the best health insurance isn't worth the headache of moving cardboard around, I can and will actually change those things I am capable of changing. I'm pretty sure UPS has no legal means of keeping me employed if I decide of my own free will I no longer want to?

Jesus this site is just full of whiny bitches. Man up and stop bitching about something you voluntarily partake in every day. . Oooh! The drama! The slavery!

Out of the couple hundred thousand UPS drivers out there, this site basically has about 20 people who whine about everything in their lives like little kids, about 10 people who actually have a sense of logic and can see different perspectives, and about 8 that are just trying to be helpful and appreciate their jobs. It is hardly representative of the majority of UPS, which is why this site isn't even remotely accurate in it's information. In fact, as I said before, most of the drivers in my hub actually think they have a great job considering the money and insurance. I haven't really seen anybody in my hub who sound like many of you, and I've made friends with older and younger drivers. Most people who like their jobs don't join forums because they go to work, make money, deal with BS, and then go home and spend time with their families. Not sit on a little brown screen bitching all night until their next shift.

Last edited: