Major Fail At Our Ground Terminal Already

It will be fine

Sounds like some may not have read the fine print before signing on the dotted line.
We all read it. It just doesn't matter. All my drivers are covered by DOT HOS, can't work 7 days straight. The amount of overstaffing I'd need to cover another day is absurd and they know they aren't paying enough for that. There's no real expectation to cover Sunday. It's there just in case weather shuts us down for a day.

Bounty

We all read it. It just doesn't matter. All my drivers are covered by DOT HOS, can't work 7 days straight. The amount of overstaffing I'd need to cover another day is absurd and they know they aren't paying enough for that. There's no real expectation to cover Sunday. It's there just in case weather shuts us down for a day.
Sounds like you are paying a lot of overtime(yea right)

gixxer squid

I looked at my schedule k last night and schedule k is about "thresholds". Not sure where the potential commitment about Sunday was. But again, maybe it was the small print one needs a magnifying glass to read

bacha29

Here's your problem guys. What you see as people, they see as components. Something that can be pulled off the shelf like car parts and thrown in the truck. They clearly believe that there is still much more uncompensated economic value they can out of you guys . And when HD and Ground are finally consolidated it will be a permanent Monday through Saturday work week for everybody and it will take some very attractive offers to get people to put themselves in that 70 hour meat grinder . Getting the money to do so out of Fedex will be even more difficult because Ground is the only thing supporting the stock price and that's all that matters to them.

bbsam

Staff member
Here's your problem guys. What you see as people, they see as components. Something that can be pulled off the shelf like car parts and thrown in the truck. They clearly believe that there is still much more uncompensated economic value they can out of you guys . And when HD and Ground are finally consolidated it will be a permanent Monday through Saturday work week for everybody and it will take some very attractive offers to get people to put themselves in that 70 hour meat grinder . Getting the money to do so out of Fedex will be even more difficult because Ground is the only thing supporting the stock price and that's all that matters to them.
Uh, yeah. We've been saying that for the last 5 years.

NYCFXG

I don't know about everyone else in the region, but I am rolling over a full days worth of deliveries. It's been hard to get a good nights sleep the last 3 nights when vision shows 2 times the packages of a normal peak day. I run my routes at about 75-80% volume to make them viable during peak. During peak they have gotten close to 100% of what I have calculated my routes to be able to do in a 10 hour day. My numbers are showing 20 hours of work per truck. 3 days I have been sitting on an extra driver helper and budget without the volume showing up. This will be a 7 day week, no matter what. Thankfully, I have drivers who want the extra money.

It will be fine

I was told our region was 50 trailers behind today, not counting how backed up the east is. Mostly Walmart volume. Next week will be a total cluster with all the TVs and furniture. I think it's clear we are not prepared for peak this year, especially the Linehaul department.

NYCFXG

I was told our region was 50 trailers behind today, not counting how backed up the east is. Mostly Walmart volume. Next week will be a total cluster with all the TVs and furniture. I think it's clear we are not prepared for peak this year, especially the Linehaul department.

The excuse we were given today was that the Linehaul guys went over HOS having to wait in line at the HUB. We are falling so far behind and it is being compounded every single day. We won't get fully caught up this weekend but they will make for damn sure to get as many trailers in as possible for the extra sort on Monday. The problem is :censored2: rolls down hill. If the LH guys run over and then give us the work all at once my guys will run over and packages won't get delivered next weekend. They expect us to simply have this infinite work force. They were trying to bestow their infinite wisdom on us about how to "stagger" our work force to make sure they would have enough hours for the new 6 day work week. Apparently, a driver doesn't need to actually know the route to deliver on it. "Just give them strips to deliver" - actual advice we were given. All while they have a work force of temps that deliver 30 stops in 11 hours.

Purplepackage

I honestly think ground would be this backed up even if everyone person working for ground was a "fedex employee". The company dug this hole

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The excuse we were given today was that the Linehaul guys went over HOS having to wait in line at the HUB. We are falling so far behind and it is being compounded every single day. We won't get fully caught up this weekend but they will make for damn sure to get as many trailers in as possible for the extra sort on Monday. The problem is :censored2: rolls down hill. If the LH guys run over and then give us the work all at once my guys will run over and packages won't get delivered next weekend. They expect us to simply have this infinite work force. They were trying to bestow their infinite wisdom on us about how to "stagger" our work force to make sure they would have enough hours for the new 6 day work week. Apparently, a driver doesn't need to actually know the route to deliver on it. "Just give them strips to deliver" - actual advice we were given. All while they have a work force of temps that deliver 30 stops in 11 hours.
Telling you how to use independent contractors? Lmao. You all look more and more like employees every day.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm amazed when they think we're going to bail them out miraculously. We'll do what we can, but I'm not.running my team 14 hours a day.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm amazed when they think we're going to bail them out miraculously. We'll do what we can, but I'm not.running my team 14 hours a day.
Well that's very noble and all that but are you gonna put on a uniform and help deliver some of this mess?

robdabanks

They been calling big accounts asking to take on Saturday delivers all bc the hub in NJ was so backed up. My vision report has been saying over 200 stops a day but I haven't cracked 100 in 2 days

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

They're starting to feel the love from Mr. Smith, aren't they? Sounds like Ground is in even worse shape than Express this Peak. Hopefully, the media will pounce early this year and get the word out that shipping your holiday crap with any FedEx opco is a bad idea. That would cost poor Fred big money.

bbsam

Staff member
They're starting to feel the love from Mr. Smith, aren't they? Sounds like Ground is in even worse shape than Express this Peak. Hopefully, the media will pounce early this year and get the word out that shipping your holiday crap with any FedEx opco is a bad idea. That would cost poor Fred big money.
It's a strange detached sensation, being in the midst of this failure because it's not on us. This falls squarely on Memphis and Pittsburgh and I'll be interested to see how they spin it into another rousing success of a peak.

MAKAVELI

It's a strange detached sensation, being in the midst of this failure because it's not on us. This falls squarely on Memphis and Pittsburgh and I'll be interested to see how they spin it into another rousing success of a peak.
They can't blame this on weather at this point. That's one of their favorite excuses.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Maybe the truth gets out this year. I couldn't agree more that the problems stem from the top. Get used to it, because it's SOP.

To them, you're just not working hard enough, despite being set-up to fail. They'll just send out platitudes like the one from Ron, and expect you to work an effing miracle.

And you're right that even if this Peak is an utter failure, they will spin it to be another outstanding holiday season. Lies, and more lies.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Maybe the truth gets out this year. I couldn't agree more that the problems stem from the top. Get used to it, because it's SOP.

To them, you're just not working hard enough, despite being set-up to fail. They'll just send out platitudes like the one from Ron, and expect you to work an effing miracle.

And you're right that even if this Peak is an utter failure, they will spin it to be another outstanding holiday season. Lies, and more lies.
It's an effing miracle that people continue to ship with FedEx at all. Overpriced and unreliable service with nothing but excuses galore.