Major Layoffs

NJ12hrday

they laid-off about 15 drivers between 3 centers 2 weeks ago and then called them in that morning begging them to come in. this past week they needed more drivers than they had.

feeder

Central Pa Member
I work in a building with 30 fdr drivers. 3 weeks ago, we heard and talked about the upcoming feeder run cuts.. This week management put up 2 new feeder jobs and no feeder cuts or layoffs...Layoffs!!! Not here, I dont think so....

bluehdmc

I work in a building with 30 fdr drivers. 3 weeks ago, we heard and talked about the upcoming feeder run cuts.. This week management put up 2 new feeder jobs and no feeder cuts or layoffs...Layoffs!!! Not here, I dont think so....

As I understand it Stroudsburg got 4 runs from Parsippany, (one of them was mine):angry: stuff from Illinois to Hartford, Ct. They are bypassing Parsippany.

A

anonymous6

Our head shop steward told me that we should expect a 10-15% runs cut in the next couple months and that was a conservative estimate.

also the restructuring of the districts nationwide will mean 5000-7000 management reduction.

Our head shop steward told me that we should expect a 10-15% runs cut in the next couple months and that was a conservative estimate.

also the restructuring of the districts nationwide will mean 5000-7000 management reduction.

Does IE get their numbers from your head shop steward?

outamyway

9 of the 14 article 40 air drivers in our building are being dropped to their choice of preload, local sort or layoff(I am one of them). Not to mention quite a few full time drivers will be cut with in the next couple weeks.

The kicker is management plans to use any 22.3 combo person not already doing EAM's to come off the preload to deliver EAM's. There is vague language in the contract about a combo driver working other classifications in the event of low volume. The union is already looking into it.

browniehound

Yessir. A couple of those are coveted routes, no? It's January, so the retirees will open up a few slots.

I probably shouldn't have put my name up, and waited for the triple bump for the next wave of openings, but I put my name up. Also rumour is that those drivers who do go as covers will be bumped down to part-time if they don't have seniority to bump the other covers, until at least May-June when vacations kick in.

Side note - you have to love the "extension of annual bid" purpose, keep the PT's out (sarcasm)

I would never bid cover from the PT ranks because you will never work. You will never work because management will only train you on the one route so you can make senority and after 30 days you will be the bottom guy with zero knowledge. You will show up to work everyday and not have a route.

If you are PT or a 22.3 FT employee I would wait until you have enough juice to bid a route. You may make less per hour in your current job but probably more per week.

some1else

Banned
IIf you are PT or a 22.3 FT employee I would wait until you have enough juice to bid a route. You may make less per hour in your current job but probably more per week.

cant. pt senority does not count towards bidding in the ft classification. im not sure you could make less money; if you are laid off; bump inside right?

sexyupsman

I sure hope the economy turns around before any of you UPSers lose your jobs. If UPS goes down what then? Our company depends on my driver daily to make our business run smoothe! You guys are the best and this country and economy will surely decline if you guys get laidoff!

UPS is the best company (next to mine) and it really makes a difference!

H_E_Pennypacker

Large Member
More like 500 -700.
Hope he/she knows the contract better than the number of redundant management positions in 12 districts and 1 region.

I would be surprised if it was that high. Collapsing a District really only reduces support staff (HR, Security, PE, etc.) and maybe a couple of sorts. Its not like the District consolidations close down a bunch of hubs. Also, those management folks aren't laid-off. They are used to fill existing vacancies or wait around until a vacancy opens up. So there aren't the immediate cost savings one would think. Long-term it saves money as there is one less DM and support Divis.

some1else

Banned
atlantic; apparently you must be laid for for a couple days before you can bump inside;

everyone on here mentions coming in a then being "sent home" even as part time as long as i am at scheduled start/place i get my hour guarantee; and same for FT here; they cant lay-off in the middle of your shift.