Major Layoffs

Overpaid Union Thug

Where I live the economy is pretty normal. Peak volume wasn't as high as predicted but still higher than last year's. We still haven't had any permanent layoffs yet. It's been voluntary ("VLO") every day so far but it's amounted to nothing more than a typical January. Some days we'll have enough volume to add two or three more routes but were lucky if one is added. Lots of drivers are complaining but its funny because its mostly the same ones that get close to two hours of bonus every day. And they wonder why IE is keeping the routes cut out.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hey guys just wanted to see if this is happening at any other building's. Are Center Manager called a meeting at 745 am today to let all full time drivers know that as of Monday they would be laying off 25 drivers between the 3 centers in our building. Is this happening anywhere else as of Monday or anytime soon. ????
I find it interesting that almost three weeks later, he has yet to respond to the question out of how many?

UPS has always cut back more after christmas than they needed. Far back as I can remember. And this year is not different. What is different is that management from the top actually believe we will have a draconian cut in volume, something I dont think they will ever see.

I believe when this year is over, you will see strong growth at UPS, better than in most years. There might be some erosion on the higher profit items like Next day air, but over all, the volume will either stay the same or go up. and that is without the packages we will inherit from DHL.

d

kingOFchester

a draconian cut in volume, something I dont think they will ever see.

I believe when this year is over, you will see strong growth at UPS, better than in most years. There might be some erosion on the higher profit items like Next day air, but over all, the volume will either stay the same or go up. and that is without the packages we will inherit from DHL.

d

WOW, an optimist. I hope you are right!

browniehound

cant. pt senority does not count towards bidding in the ft classification. im not sure you could make less money; if you are laid off; bump inside right?

Hey some1else, you are correct to a point. As a PTimer you have no juice in regards to the FTimers. However, if you are the top PTimer and nobody from the full-time ranks wants to fill the job, it goes to the highest PT employee.

This is why I advocate bidding a 22.3 job ASAP. It gets you a FT senority date that puts you ahead of every PT employee. Its an avenue to full time driving and four times more money than you are making working on PD 6:peaceful:.

some1else

This is why I advocate bidding a 22.3 job ASAP. It gets you a FT senority date that puts you ahead of every PT employee. Its an avenue to full time driving and four times more money than you are making working on PD 6:peaceful:.
only 1 22.3 posted in my 4 years and i lost the bid to someone with 1month senority on me.

i did make more than him; but would give up the difference for a year of FT senority

Mike57

Oh Darn, I was hoping to get on with Big Brown . Big Yellow(DHL) well you all know the story on them .Needless to say, I know that I'm not alone in looking for a good job . Hopefully my CDL A H'T will help me with my job search with Big Brown .

Braveheart

We have had layoffs on and off for two weeks. Some days it is one or two drivers and other days it is 10-12 drivers. Fridays we have high calls ins so the young guys get back on the road.

Bring in those sales leads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drivers need to stop helping them cutting routes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skipping lunch, speeding, running, sorting your truck before work are all ways they are able to cut routes and layoff fellow teamsters who have bills to pay people. Your softball game is not that important if yuour buddy loses his house! You can not get fired for production!!! Work hard, work smart and work safe! Not work fast, cut corners, and cheat the system.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would never bid cover from the PT ranks because you will never work. You will never work because management will only train you on the one route so you can make senority and after 30 days you will be the bottom guy with zero knowledge. You will show up to work everyday and not have a route.

If you are PT or a 22.3 FT employee I would wait until you have enough juice to bid a route. You may make less per hour in your current job but probably more per week.

The most senior driver laid off right now in CHEMA (any ctr) is Marlboro ctr and he is a '06. I have more FT juice than him, so I know as cover I wouldn't get laid off ( at least as of last week)

drewed

Shankman
Honestly Braveheart, work sloweage isnt the answer by no means am I condoning doing all those thing but UPS does know what you can do for sporh within maybe 3 or 4 if you start dropping 4 on a very consistent basis its going to raise question YOU create that standard of work, UPS made the goal youve proved you can achieve it, thats a way to get fired for production.

I'mTheMan

Honestly Braveheart, work sloweage isnt the answer by no means am I condoning doing all those thing but UPS does know what you can do for sporh within maybe 3 or 4 if you start dropping 4 on a very consistent basis its going to raise question YOU create that standard of work, UPS made the goal youve proved you can achieve it, thats a way to get fired for production.

drewed, now that really doesn't make any sense!

drewed

Shankman
OK I get what Braveheart is saying in terms of not giving the company anything....But hes almost implying there should be a work slowdown logic ala if we all work 12-14 hr days theyre going to have to add routes and theres nothing they can do about the lack of production.... Any driver thats been on their route for any extended amount of time has it pretty dialed in, UPS knows that and everyone has bad days and good days but most of the time it should be pretty consistent....if it takes you 11 hours consistenly what it use to tok you 9.5 it going to raise questions and it is something you can get fired for.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
OK I get what Braveheart is saying in terms of not giving the company anything....But hes almost implying there should be a work slowdown logic ala if we all work 12-14 hr days theyre going to have to add routes and theres nothing they can do about the lack of production.... Any driver thats been on their route for any extended amount of time has it pretty dialed in, UPS knows that and everyone has bad days and good days but most of the time it should be pretty consistent....if it takes you 11 hours consistenly what it use to tok you 9.5 it going to raise questions and it is something you can get fired for.

This isn't worth arguing on either side. Document everything and do a good job for the company and yourself. Any harrassment is unnecessary, as are work slowdowns-stoppages

welli dont know where all of you are but we have over 120 routes here in my center with 5 cover drivers there being used on perlaod then some drive or go home or they will offer days off either way where still busy here . weve seen some thigns closed suchs as management postions some are gone some replaced or in new postions my center has 1 busueness manger aka the center manger and 4 on road sups

squirlygirly

S.friend. Bay Area Calif. (not San Fran specifically) in two weeks we went from 17 to 20 drivers being "pinked", along with 8 p-timers just this Friday...scary!

some1else

OBut hes almost implying there should be a work slowdown logic ala if we all work 12-14 hr days theyre going to have to add routes and theres nothing they can do about the lack of production....
he said make sure you work to the rules; and dont work off the clock (lunch or AM) thats not a slow down.