Making a stop one of your last

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I look at it like this, if I have a handcart full of crap and walking down the sidewalk and someone asks me if they can have a there package that is on my truck, I am not going to walk back to truck, rummage threw a mound of crap looking for their diapers. I will say sure, I will be right back when I am done my current delivery.

As would I but what does that have to do with the topic on hand?

kingOFchester

That's your choice----you can sit and listen to the pickup stop bitch about the driver or you can do something about it.

Please don't assume that my center works like your center. I do not question how things are run in your center. I assume you are a stand up guy and your center is great to work for. So take me for my word that it is not the same in building.

browniehound

I guess I'm lucky then. I have a busy gas station that gets lottery tickets. I just wheel them behind the counter and the cashier comes right over and signs. I treat customers like this like gold. They are very few and far between, but some of them actually do "get it".

Z

ZQXC

I have one truck stop/convenience store that is always busy. I take the lottery tickets behind the counter and place them on the floor and wait for one of the clerks to finish with a customer and then turn and sign the diad. They always accommodate quickly; having established a good rapport with customers in the past, pays dividends in the present.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingOFchester

As would I but what does that have to do with the topic on hand?

It has to do with people doing work and us expecting them to drop what they are doing to receive a delivery.

My center dispatches an average of a 9.2. They want us off clock at 9.5. That leaves a very small window for delays. I am not going to get my undies in a bunch because UPS doesn't want to expect the EXPECTED (delays).

Having a 19:45 pickup has helped me not to worry. Anything not delivered will be sheeted as missed. Have to make air trailer.

Last edited:

PhatAzz

I guess I'm lucky then. I have a busy gas station that gets lottery tickets. I just wheel them behind the counter and the cashier comes right over and signs. I treat customers like this like gold. They are very few and far between, but some of them actually do "get it".

I never stand in line at convenience stores or fast food restaurants. I walk behind the counter. I'm not there to buy something. If I want to make a purchase, then I'll stand in line. I've only had one person get upset and I give them the line like above " I'm not there to buy something. If I want to make a purchase, then I'll stand in line"

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have one gas station that can be sort of busy. If all I have is lottery tickets then I will just wait in line with the customers. But if I have a bunch I will take them directly up to the counter and stand and wait for the clerk to have a second, usually while someone is digging for change or such, and then go about my way. Paid by the hour, yo!!
We aren't customers and shouldn't be in line unless we are buying something. If I'm buying something I get in line.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
As long as we're talking about it, my driver is very careful to knock several times and hand me whatever box, but this is only since he found out I worked at UPS. Before we had a chat, he would just throw it at my door and run, much like my USPS guy who is not worth the uniform he no longer wears to work. On the other other my FedEx drivers have all been a mixed bag, I am always surprised when they give me their time and attention despite my grin and UPS-branded clothing.

I have a FedEx big wig on my route and yes he gets some things from UPS. He is a good guy and he always jokes maybe he should be buying UPS stock when he sees how hard I a working. I say I am buying FedEx stock with my OT to hedge my bets.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As a business owner, I understand the "customers come first". Not saying that they should make you wait for 5 minutes, but certainly do not expect the cashier to stop a transaction to sign. Us having to wait is the cost of doing business. UPS does not understand this.

I have gone into a Dr's office where the girl is on the phone handling calls, with pen in hand, phone being held by shoulder, typing on computer. Why should I expect her to worry about me? Just because UPS wants to load us up to the point where we have zero time for delays, should not become her problem.
I'm sorry it takes 2 second to scribble on the board I think anyone can handle that. The way I explained it to my customers when I was training was 120 stops add just 30 seconds a stop. That's an hour added to my day and no way will I make scratch.

I know scratch doesn't matter but it does when you're training. Our center manager told our mall driver to wait up to 5 minutes for customers to come to their receiving door. The drivers sup said do you know how long 5 minutes x 100 stops is?!?!?!?!?!?

Ouch

ote="Island, post: 1283146, member: 42417"]I don't drive but I would assume your manager or route guy would have an opinion on the matter? Not about you breaking sequence but about this guy delaying you intentionally. I knew a somewhat reasonable dispatch guy who would have been receptive to a driver with this problem but maybe he's one in a million?[/quote]
Its as simple as telling your manager, I can't afford to get here at this time. I was told they would sign when they could and my customers come before you. Makes you look like your concerned about your time and all is well.

kingOFchester

I'm sorry it takes 2 second to scribble on the board I think anyone can handle that. The way I explained it to my customers when I was training was 120 stops add just 30 seconds a stop. That's an hour added to my day and no way will I make scratch.

I know scratch doesn't matter but it does when you're training. Our center manager told our mall driver to wait up to 5 minutes for customers to come to their receiving door. The drivers sup said do you know how long 5 minutes x 100 stops is?!?!?!?!?!?

Its not the stores problem how we are dispatched. It isn't their problem if we make scratch or not. Some people take longer then 2 seconds to scribble. And it isn't about the time, it is the impression they are giving their paying customer that the UPS guy is more important then them.

I am not arguing that it should not be a problem to scribble and let us get on our way. But just as UPS has policies that we must follow, so do businesses.....such as customers come first. Unfortunately we (upsers) have come accustomed to putting customers last.

Simple solution. Ask your sup VIA DIAD how long should you wait for a signature. Then work as directed.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to put the stuff behind the counter-sheet it up- lay the clip board and pen or DIAD and stylus down on the counter (they knew how to turn it on if needed) go fill up a Big Gulp cup-pick out a Snickers bar- stop and browse through the nudie magazines- go back up behind the counter- lay my money down- pick up the DIAD and be on my way. Life was simpler back then.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I used to put the stuff behind the counter-sheet it up- lay the clip board and pen or DIAD and stylus down on the counter (they knew how to turn it on if needed) go fill up a Big Gulp cup-pick out a Snickers bar- stop and browse through the nudie magazines- go back up behind the counter- lay my money down- pick up the DIAD and be on my way. Life was simpler back then.
All I got was nudie mag. Lol

Seriously though tells me how long ago you're talking. All those are wrapped in plastic now. No browsing.