Making a stop one of your last

Anonymous 12

Non active member
So a couple of weeks ago, I walk into a gas station to drop off a package. There are 2 loooong lines with 2 cashiers checking them out. I stand in the middle and ask the first cashier I see to finish their current customer if they would mind signing for it. She says sure and I give her my board. The store owner sees this and has her give it back to me and says outloud that his business puts the customers first and told the cashiers from now on, "Don't make him wait too long, maybe just 5 minutes or so." (Referring to when they have long lines which is normal)

I said, "Sir, I understand your point and I don't mind waiting a little bit but honestly if I have to wait 5 minutes, I'm just going to have to bring this package back and try again tomorrow." I was very nice and courteous the whole time but he finally asked for my bosses number. I gladly gave it to him and that was pretty much that. He never called my boss but his gas station has since been one of my last stops around 7-8pm.

Have you guys ever done anything like this? I'm a very nice "sir/ma'am" kinda guy so I feel kinda weird about doing this but IMO, this guy had it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be cool if he gave you a big gulp after you waited five minutes for him to sign.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There is this guy. He runs a company out of his house. He does not like his stuff delivered with the resis. After all, he is a business.
So the regular driver worked it out to indirect his stuff at a local business. This guy is a jerk and treats the employees of this business like crap. They are the ones doing him the favor. They are not a drop off location for any one else.
So....yesterday, I notice 2 packages for this guy. A laptop that was NDA and a 2DA letter. I purposefully set them up in my resis. I had my arguments and rebuttals all ready for him. While I was in my resisI was 2 stops away from his delivery. The anticipation had been building all day for this confrontation. I was prepared. Rehearsed the conversation repeatedly in my mind' eye.
He caught me just moments from his house. Says he has been looking for me all day. Tracking his package for 8 hrs.
Okay.....here goes.....the confrontation I had so carefully prepared for.
I hand him his packages. He says thanks and drives off. What a let down
Had this happen quite a few times actually. Customer wants to know when you'll be there they are a business and are used to getting stuff in the morn. Uh it's a house just cause they sell a few things on eBay doesn't make them a business.

Show up at 6,7,8 o'clock. OMS is always like customer very upset blah blah blah. Funny they always seem happy to get their stuff. Never ask me why I'm so late. It's amazing what people will say what people will say over the phone.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I love when people tell me, "My deliveries are committed by x:xx". I say, "No, your packages are committed by the end of the business day. I'll get here as soon as I can get here." 90% of my deliveries have been trained as to when I will be there since it's usually the same time every day.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
This business I had used to give me a great tip every x-mas. Sometimes the owner would give me a tip in June or July just to keep up the great service I gave him. He was in an area that I normally would get there around 4 pm. I would deliver his ground packages during my NDA run. I would go out of my way to give him the service because he tipped me greatly.

One year he gave me a turkey for my tip. A freaking turkey! His wife got it for free at the supermarket. I left and on my way up to the office area where he had his secretary's and his office, I threw the turkey out the door.

From that point on he got his packages at 4:59 everyday. He got so sick and tired of it he called in a concern. The next day, at 4:59 again, I told his clerk that until he respected me more than that friggin' turkey he gave me, he would get his packages when I could get them to him. I pulled no punches whatsoever and the owner got the message loud and clear. A month later there were 2 crisp hundred dollar bills waiting for me at the stop. I got my message across and he got his packages in the morning again as he finally figured it out.

My center manager never said a word about it when I explained that I was going out of my way in the mornings to get his 2 or 3 packages off my truck. I heard that some lady had picked up the perfectly good turkey that was thrown off a truck and that story had made its way back to the owner.

Money talks!

Island

I'm not certain I would ever take a tip if I was a driver. Not cash, anyway. Or anything the company can find out about.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Wow.... you've got some balls, dude LOL

I was never afraid of the customers or management when I was in the right.

To the person who said he'd never take a tip, there is nothing in the contract that states we can't take them. Most people want to show their appreciation for your hard work and dedication to get them their property. Take whatever they give you and smile. Most times I would follow up with thank you cards and my tips almost always became bigger the next year. Treat them right and they will treat you right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not certain I would ever take a tip if I was a driver. Not cash, anyway. Or anything the company can find out about.
I was never afraid of the customers or management when I was in the right.

To the person who said he'd never take a tip, there is nothing in the contract that states we can't take them. Most people want to show their appreciation for your hard work and dedication to get them their property. Take whatever they give you and smile. Most times I would follow up with thank you cards and my tips almost always became bigger the next year. Treat them right and they will treat you right.

Island---every year just before Peak our center manager will stand before us in the PCM and tell us, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, that we are not allowed to accept tips, knowing full well that we do.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a tip as a thank you for exceptional customer service and, yes, it is imperative that you follow that up with a thank you note or heartfelt "thank you".

There is definitely something wrong with tailoring the level of service that you provide to the amount of money that they tip you. Strong arming a customer by dramatically changing their delivery time in order to receive a tip is quite clearly the wrong thing to do and any concern received as a result of doing this is clearly justified. Discarding a gift from a customer on their property is beyond reprehensible.