Making a stop one of your last

Cementups

Box Monkey
I do have a couple customers that either thin they are being funny or trying to be jerks and making me wait. When they try to be asses and point out that they made me wait I kindly remind them, "Dude, I'm getting paid $33/hour to stand here and wait. Take your time." And if it's after 5pm I'll adjust that to $49.50.

PeasAndCarrots

To the OP---there is a fine line between having a sense of urgency and being rudely inpatient. While it is true that we should be not be treated like we are the next customer in line it is also true that we do not have the right to automatically go to the front of the line.

I never thought I did have that right? Maybe I was unclear. I walked up and when the left cashier finished her customer, I made eye contact and simply asked, "Would you mind signing ma'am?" Believe me, there was absolutely not a shred self-righteousness coming out of me at all. A customer who was there actually flagged me down outside and offered her number so she could also tell my boss what happened just in case the store owner decided to exaggerate some details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rholly

So a couple of weeks ago, I walk into a gas station to drop off a package. There are 2 loooong lines with 2 cashiers checking them out. I stand in the middle and ask the first cashier I see to finish their current customer if they would mind signing for it. She says sure and I give her my board. The store owner sees this and has her give it back to me and says outloud that his business puts the customers first and told the cashiers from now on, "Don't make him wait too long, maybe just 5 minutes or so." (Referring to when they have long lines which is normal)

I said, "Sir, I understand your point and I don't mind waiting a little bit but honestly if I have to wait 5 minutes, I'm just going to have to bring this package back and try again tomorrow." I was very nice and courteous the whole time but he finally asked for my bosses number. I gladly gave it to him and that was pretty much that. He never called my boss but his gas station has since been one of my last stops around 7-8pm.

Have you guys ever done anything like this? I'm a very nice "sir/ma'am" kinda guy so I feel kinda weird about doing this but IMO, this guy had it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would either do that, or NR1

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I have gone into a Dr's office where the girl is on the phone handling calls, with pen in hand, phone being held by shoulder, typing on computer.

And these are the people that will usually drop their pen while still having a conversation on the phone and sign your DIAD without missing a beat.

Overpaid Union Thug

I never wait in lines. I always bypass them and go straight to the counter. This indicates that I have a sense of urgency (per the methods) and most customers comply. When a driver gets in the back of a line that has the opposite affect and the person working the register will most likely treat you like a customer and make you wait your turn as if you just popped in to buy a pack of smokes or lottery scratch offs.

"Someone has to be last. Will YOU be that stop??"
Sure ill be your last stop as long as you bring beer at beer thirty. Last week I had a guy comment "it's nine fifteen (21:15) what am I, your last stop?" Me... "No, I've got 8 more. It takes time to do 295."

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
There is always gonna be that Peon that thinks he is so important by making you wait !
I marched into the Bank Presidents office once to tell him about the New Peon !!
That was settled rather quickly ! Covemaster 1
New Peon 0

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"I'll be back"..............tomorrow, NR1

I did this yesterday at Michaels. I had 2 NDA for them. I was bringing them in through the front door but was asked to start bringing them to the back, which I did. Rang the bell, sheeted the pkgs, rang the bell and knocked, heard someone say "We don't have the keys---we're going to get them", waited a few minutes, sheeted both as NR1, scanned notice, on to next stop. Finished all of my NDA and made my way back to Michaels to reattempt. This time they were very quick to open the door. I would have stayed a bit longer the first time but I was in NDA mode and as it was I delivered the last one with only 10 minutes to spare.

Rainman

Its all good.
I did this yesterday at Michaels. I had 2 NDA for them. I was bringing them in through the front door but was asked to start bringing them to the back, which I did. Rang the bell, sheeted the pkgs, rang the bell and knocked, heard someone say "We don't have the keys---we're going to get them", waited a few minutes, sheeted both as NR1, scanned notice, on to next stop. Finished all of my NDA and made my way back to Michaels to reattempt. This time they were very quick to open the door. I would have stayed a bit longer the first time but I was in NDA mode and as it was I delivered the last one with only 10 minutes to spare.
Heck,my last air is usually 10:29...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Marne Vet

Not only have I done this to send a little "message", but when I was a rookie it helped me resolve an issue with a really clown of a customer. Every day this guy at a particular dock would act like a dick towards me. He would talk all sorts of crap, and say out loud "You'll wait until I'm ready to sign got it?" It would piss me off like crazy, but it was a pretty big stop, and I wanted it off of my package car. Anyway, on Thursday's though this guy would run over and almost give me a handy. I couldn't get his lips off of my ass fast enough on Thursday's, and being so new I had no idea why. So one day I bring this up to the regular driver that I would cover for, and he laughs and says "Well Thursday's are pay day. He wants that payroll you're delivering. If I was you, and this guy was treating me this way, I'd hold that payroll until 4:59 PM every Thursday until he changed his tune". I thought about it and decided to try it. One Thursday came, and although I was buried with a lot of packages for this guys stop, I moved it around ALL day until just before 5 PM. I pull up to the dock and this guy's going nuts. He's screaming at me left and right. Apparently they have an armored van that pulls into the yard on Thursday to cash checks for people. Like a Mobile Check Cashing Van. A lot of people, including this clown, were pissed that they not only didn't get their checks, but couldn't cash them early. So he's screaming at me, asking me where the friend I was early, and I calmly say "Well you treat me like S every day but Thursday's, and I have to wait for you to sign when you feel like it every day but Thursdays, so from now on I'll come at 4:59 PM until you start taking care of me the second you see me." He was pissed, and cursed me out some more, and then called in a concern. My center manager pulls me into the office the next morning and asks me what happened. I explained to him how this guy acts towards me daily with the insults, and purposely making me wait, and told him I had had enough. My center manager actually sided with me, oddly, and without saying it, smiled that he supported my decision. I'm not sure what he said to the customer when he called him back, but the next time I went there, and EVERY day after, he kissed my ass like it was made out of Budweiser and chocolate. You don't treat me like S and get away with it. Customers sometimes have to learn a hard lesson about how to treat their delivery people. We're there to make your day great if you're courteous, but act like an ass towards us and you'll still get your stuff, but at the end of the day. Hey, you might just be closed some days too by the time we get there. Oh shucks. Sorry. I'll try harder tomorrow! haha. Nope. If you're gonna S all over us you'll do it when we decide it's time, not at your convenience!

rod

Retired 22 years
I had kind of the opposite happen. The manager of a big grocery store pulled me aside one day and asked me to deliver to him as late as I could. He explained that he never got anything UPS that was important EXCEPT his employees payroll checks every other Thursday. He said all his employees knew I delivered them so they would want them as early as possible. He said he was tired of them disappearing for the day when they got them early.

FilingBluesFL

This one little Indian dude that runs a convenience store, he goes out of his way to sign for his stuff lol Like, to the point of shoving the customers aside, to get the DIAD lol

And he gets REALLY excited when I bring in the Lottery!

"OH YESH YESH YESH LOTTERY! LOTTERY! INSTANT MONEY!!! NO WORK, INSTANT MONEY!!! COME ACROSS THE STREET (the low-income "ghetto" is across the street) GET INSTANT MONEY LOTTERY!!! YESH YESH!!! NOOOO WORK, FREE WELFARE MONEY FOR INSTANT MONEY!!! NO WORK, INSTANT MONEY!"

Cracks me up every time, the guy is awesome lol

gman042

Been around the block a few times
There is this guy. He runs a company out of his house. He does not like his stuff delivered with the resis. After all, he is a business.
So the regular driver worked it out to indirect his stuff at a local business. This guy is a jerk and treats the employees of this business like crap. They are the ones doing him the favor. They are not a drop off location for any one else.
So....yesterday, I notice 2 packages for this guy. A laptop that was NDA and a 2DA letter. I purposefully set them up in my resis. I had my arguments and rebuttals all ready for him. While I was in my resisI was 2 stops away from his delivery. The anticipation had been building all day for this confrontation. I was prepared. Rehearsed the conversation repeatedly in my mind' eye.
He caught me just moments from his house. Says he has been looking for me all day. Tracking his package for 8 hrs.
Okay.....here goes.....the confrontation I had so carefully prepared for.
I hand him his packages. He says thanks and drives off. What a let down