Making UPS a career?

davidix

I'm 30 years old working 2 jobs because I want to peruse ups as a career. Go figure. I'm potentially leaving behind another good career for this.

So to answer your question. Yes this is the right job for you. You won't work more than 6ish hours starting off. You won't get paid jack squat and you'll work harder than most people for the money. But seriously bud this job is idiot proof. Your body gets used to the physicality in 1 week. And once you start building seniority you'll be fine. Your still super young and you'll be a driver eventually. And if it's not for you you'll still get raises which are much better than the average. If you don't want to go to school then this is it.

Lucidd

I'm 30 years old working 2 jobs because I want to peruse ups as a career. Go figure. I'm potentially leaving behind another good career for this.

So to answer your question. Yes this is the right job for you. You won't work more than 6ish hours starting off. You won't get paid jack squat and you'll work harder than most people for the money. But seriously bud this job is idiot proof. Your body gets used to the physicality in 1 week. And once you start building seniority you'll be fine. Your still super young and you'll be a driver eventually. And if it's not for you you'll still get raises which are much better than the average. If you don't want to go to school then this is it.

What do you think about working at UPS part time when i'm 18 and like McDonalds or some other job, part time? Do you think i'd be able to afford an apartment and stuff if i did both of those? I'm probably gonna drop my second part time job once i'm able to move to FT for UPS.

davidix

What do you think about working at UPS part time when i'm 18 and like McDonalds or some other job, part time? Do you think i'd be able to afford an apartment and stuff if i did both of those? I'm probably gonna drop my second part time job once i'm able to move to FT for UPS.

Just work at ups and live with your parents as long as you can. Getting your own place can wait. Working 2 jobs is something you do when you have no choice and have kids/bills like myself. I'm not even working at ups for the money...I guess it pays my cell phone bill and car payment but that's about it. You work here for the potential in my opinion. Anyways that's my take on it.

Lucidd

Just work at ups and live with your parents as long as you can. Getting your own place can wait. Working 2 jobs is something you do when you have no choice and have kids/bills like myself. I'm not even working at ups for the money...I guess it pays my cell phone bill and car payment but that's about it. You work here for the potential in my opinion. Anyways that's my take on it.
I wouldn't mind going to school for something simple like criminal justice or something so i can always have a degree that'll get me into law enforcement if i ever decided to.

davidix

I wouldn't mind going to school for something simple like criminal justice or something so i can always have a degree that'll get me into law enforcement if i ever decided to.
There you go. You can study and slowly build seniority with ups. Nobody cares how old you are. If you have 6 years in and you're 24 you'll get a call. Seniority is all that matters.

Good luck bud.

JL 0513

As far as jobs and status goes I've always felt bad for people who their job is the biggest thing they have going to represent them. One of the first things people ask when they meet you: "So what do you do?" I just gotta roll my eyes. Like who cares? Though UPS drivers do have a pretty good reputation amongst people as I've always gotten a positive response (I mean let's face it, this is essentially the male equivalent of a hot nurse).

Ever walk into an office building and you're standing among people in suits and you sense they're looking down on you in your browns but you feel pride that you likely make more than them handing over a cardboard box.

Lucidd

Ever walk into an office building and you're standing among people in suits and you sense they're looking down on you in your browns but you feel pride that you likely make more than them bring them a cardboard box.

How would can i deal with being a part timer at UPS when starting out? Is it that bad? Can't wait to move up to driver.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
You need to start figuring out the 'cost of living' in your area, or someplace else you'd like to live/work. Starting out at UPS PT, and another PT job, let's say you can take home (net, after deductions) $800-1,000/month. Can you find an apartment for $4-500/month? Maybe, but it will probably take a lot of hunting (and luck). Especially being young, you might have trouble finding someone willing to rent to you. What about transportation? You're probably going to need a car. Assuming you can buy a decent used car outright, between gas & insurance you can expect that to cost you at least $60/week. Probably better if you could budget $75/week to cover maintenance/minor repairs/registration. That's $650-800/month in expenses so far. So between $0 & $350 left. Does that apartment come with heat, electricity, water? Your phone bill? Then there's food and clothes/laundry (working as a package handler can be very rough on your clothes, especially the entry jobs). Plus the mandatory health insurance (or penalty)(for most of the country PT don't get benefits for the first year).

Something else to consider is how flexible the other job will be with scheduling. Peak season at UPS runs from about Thanksgiving to the first or second week of January. You could easily put in 40+ hours/week then (despite your PT status). You're going to want to work as many hours there as you can, since in most locations 15 of those hours would be time-and-a-half.

TL,DR: 10-15 years ago, you could probably afford your own place with 2 PT jobs. 20 years ago you could have afforded it with just a UPS PT job. Today, it's going to be rough.

You need to start figuring out the 'cost of living' in your area, or someplace else you'd like to live/work. Starting out at UPS PT, and another PT job, let's say you can take home (net, after deductions) $800-1,000/month. Can you find an apartment for $4-500/month? Maybe, but it will probably take a lot of hunting (and luck). Especially being young, you might have trouble finding someone willing to rent to you. What about transportation? You're probably going to need a car. Assuming you can buy a decent used car outright, between gas & insurance you can expect that to cost you at least $60/week. Probably better if you could budget $75/week to cover maintenance/minor repairs/registration. That's $650-800/month in expenses so far. So between $0 & $350 left. Does that apartment come with heat, electricity, water? Your phone bill? Then there's food and clothes/laundry (working as a package handler can be very rough on your clothes, especially the entry jobs). Plus the mandatory health insurance (or penalty)(for most of the country PT don't get benefits for the first year).

Something else to consider is how flexible the other job will be with scheduling. Peak season at UPS runs from about Thanksgiving to the first or second week of January. You could easily put in 40+ hours/week then (despite your PT status). You're going to want to work as many hours there as you can, since in most locations 15 of those hours would be time-and-a-half.

TL,DR: 10-15 years ago, you could probably afford your own place with 2 PT jobs. 20 years ago you could have afforded it with just a UPS PT job. Today, it's going to be rough.
This job isn't designed for someone living on their own, to start out.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
This job isn't designed for someone living on their own, to start out.
Working 40 hours at minimum wage is no longer enough for most people to live on their own. 40x7.25=$290,x4 weeks, say $1200/month gross or $900/month net. Maybe if someone was lucky enough to have only one job for those 40 hours, and public transportation.