Making UPS a career?

Working 40 hours at minimum wage is no longer enough for most people to live on their own. 40x7.25=$290,x4 weeks, say $1200/month gross or $900/month net. Maybe if someone was lucky enough to have only one job for those 40 hours, and public transportation.
When I started here part time I was making $200 a week and my rent was $300 a month.

JL 0513

What do you think about working at UPS part time when i'm 18 and like McDonalds or some other job, part time? Do you think i'd be able to afford an apartment and stuff if i did both of those? I'm probably gonna drop my second part time job once i'm able to move to FT for UPS.

When you're young, you'd be lucky to stay with your parents for a while if they don't mind. Many of us, including myself, had to work a 40 hour job and then UPS for 16-20 hours on top of that since I was older and moved out. I had just gotten married when I started PT at UPS.

Advice would have a fall back plan if UPS doesn't work out. Learn a trade skill for example. Another alternative that can pay very well. You don't want to put all your eggs into the UPS basket. I think only about 50% of all people that want to be a driver ultimately make it. If you're cut out for it, you have a better chance.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
It's been so long I honestly don't remember.
Pre-1982 (actually about 76-77). That's from a steward, who started PT back then. Actually I hear the same story from most long timers: the PT money was so good, many guys didn't even think about going driving until something like a wife came along.

Maybe @scratch remembers starting/seniority pay back then?

JL 0513

Pre-1982 (actually about 76-77). That's from a steward, who started PT back then. Actually I hear the same story from most long timers: the PT money was so good, many guys didn't even think about going driving until something like a wife came along.

It's amazing UPS froze starting pay for over 20 years.

I remember when I first started driving and bringing home almost $500 a week...living large.

Lucidd

Man i hope i'll be making $30 an hour to deliver packages in the future, i hear they'll be paying less?

P.S do you guy's ever deliver to your neighborhood lol?