Management Retirement at 59

By The Book

This is the problem with UPS in a nutshell. 6k a month for life for a guy who's greatest accomplishment in life is getting his drivers license.... most likely not even a CDL which at very least requires some skill.
No skills, no college, maybe no high school diploma......
The skill set of a 3rd grader gets you roughly 2 to 3 million in cash and services....
Now that is the American dream right there
I'm not sure what the problem here is, the employee for getting hired and working for thirty years and earning his pension or UPS for having to pay the employee what he has earned. UPS hired this person, so.......................?

MethodsMan

Or with drivers at half-the-cost?
Not that I want that to happen but the difference in quality and production would probably be insignificant.

Haha I was delivering at a nursery this week and I park on the road flashers on, drivers side mirror tucked in. 6 over 40lb. packages on hand truck. Walk it off maybe the equivalent of a city block. As I approach the nursery I meet the owner and chat with him for a second. All the sudden we both look over and see dust flying everywhere and along comes the Fed Ex guy barreling through at about 25mph, bulkhead door open, cigarette in hand. He comes out of the truck and hands the guy an envelope. Puts down his cig for a quick sig. Looks at me and says "I cheated". Jumps back in the vehicle and puts in reverse backing the entire way out, no horn, blowing dust all over the migrant workers on his merry way.

The owner looks over at me shakes his head and says, "what an :censored2:".

Just thought I'd share that neat story. You get what you pay for.

PT Car Washer

Haha I was delivering at a nursery this week and I park on the road flashers on, drivers side mirror tucked in. 6 over 40lb. packages on hand truck. Walk it off maybe the equivalent of a city block. As I approach the nursery I meet the owner and chat with him for a second. All the sudden we both look over and see dust flying everywhere and along comes the Fed Ex guy barreling through at about 25mph, bulkhead door open, cigarette in hand. He comes out of the truck and hands the guy an envelope. Puts down his cig for a quick sig. Looks at me and says "I cheated". Jumps back in the vehicle and puts in reverse backing the entire way out, no horn, blowing dust all over the migrant workers on his merry way.

Remember "you get what you pay for" the next time your $10.00/hr pre loader gives you a misload, or 2 or 5.

MethodsMan

How about the time you spend in the back of a 120 degree package car looking for a package that is on another drivers truck.

Meh. If your fishing me to whine about pre-loaders its not going to happen. I've always been the person who thinks they should make more than they do.

I know where I'm at, they need pre-loaders desperately. I know a pre-loader who no call, no show's at least once a week and I'm not even sure if he gets disciplined for it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

What I saw was that he was more efficient and as effective. :wink-very:

I always thought that not allowing UPS drivers to drive into a nursery to deliver 6 40 pound packages was pretty stupid.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Meh. If your fishing me to whine about pre-loaders its not going to happen. I've always been the person who thinks they should make more than they do.

I know where I'm at, they need pre-loaders desperately. I know a pre-loader who no call, no show's at least once a week and I'm not even sure if he gets disciplined for it.
No I was not fishing for pre load hate. I worked the pre load for close to 10 years. Only difference was pre loaders were paid about $.50/hr less then drivers and were allowed to do the job correctly.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I drove for 7 yrs before we got a preload. Misloads were almost unheard of. Sure was nice getting home at a decent time ,too. I think thats why alot of us older drivers are so bitter now. These days the young drivers are send out light because they screw up everything they touch. I blame alot of this on training based solely on getting off the clock asap. NSN 15 stops a day and NI1 omaha steaks and insulin. Seems like nobody cares about anything except for the almighty overallowed number.

Rainman

Its all good.
While I don't think he was proposing an immediate 50% pay cut, there is some validity to Photog's post. FedEx Ground has proven that the job can be performed in an acceptable manner at a much lower price point.

I have posted repeatedly (some would say to excess) about the need for UPS to address the wage inequality through the use of a two-tiered wage structure. I really thought it would be addressed in 2013 but it was put on the back burner in favor of the shifting of the healthcare burden to the union. Other than Obamacare and technology, I see no other obstacles which would prevent its implementation in 2018.
Looking at service from Ground, their service is largely not acceptable. Shippers want an alternative, and they are cheap. If they had to compete on service alone, they couldn't survive competing with Brown.
Claims are a beast with Ground, they want to deny most claims as far as non receipt of goods. Their drivers are not as professional or as well liked as we are. They are simply a cheap alternative to our higher prices. They have improved exponentially since they started as RPS, but as long as the drivers on the road are not compensated enough, they will never care as much as we do. They simply have no incentive like we do.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Looking at service from Ground, their service is largely not acceptable. Shippers want an alternative, and they are cheap. If they had to compete on service alone, they couldn't survive competing with Brown.
Claims are a beast with Ground, they want to deny most claims as far as non receipt of goods. Their drivers are not as professional or as well liked as we are. They are simply a cheap alternative to our higher prices. They have improved exponentially since they started as RPS, but as long as the drivers on the road are not compensated enough, they will never care as much as we do. They simply have no incentive like we do.

...which is why I made sure to put in bold text in an acceptable manner...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
By your statement you indicate that they ARE doing the job in an acceptable manner, whereas I disagree. They simply do it cheaper, not in an acceptable manner.

The specifications for "Acceptable" change at a much lower cost.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

So why are you not driving down the driveway to this business and making a delivery? Why are you walking it off? You did not explain and I was just wondering?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By your statement you indicate that they ARE doing the job in an acceptable manner, whereas I disagree. They simply do it cheaper, not in an acceptable manner.

Acceptable means just that. They don't go above and beyond---they get stuff (quicker) from Point A to Point B.