Management Retirement

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know of 6, 55+ manager level people who received job changes which involved a demotion or a move to a terrible job. Each felt they had no choice but to take the retirement. I think there is a unwritten plan to remove the elderly (over 55) from the workforce.
That happened to me and I thank the management that made the move!

Last edited:

Jetfan53

I personally know of 7 center management-level people who either got fired on trumped up BS charges, went out on "stress leave", or both in the last decade. All 7 of them were within 18 months of reaching 55 years of age and eligibility for paid medical during their retirement. Assuming a $1K per month COBRA for medical between age 55 and Medicaid eligibility at 62, that is a savings of at least $84K for the company. Of course, the fact that every single one of them was within 18 months of eligibility could also just be a coincidence.
I don't think it is a coincidence. This is flat out discrimination. I cannot believe they are bold enough to do this and to this point get away with it. I even had a Human Resource rep tell me they are doing the same with her.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I don't think it is a coincidence. This is flat out discrimination. I cannot believe they are bold enough to do this and to this point get away with it. I even had a Human Resource rep tell me they are doing the same with her.

I am not surprised they did it. They did it here also.

I am not surprised they did it. They did it here also.
I think there is a opening for Class Action, but the problem is finding the proof for a court of law, showing the move to a demotion or a crappy job was due to their age and not a lack of job performance because they did not drink the Corp coolaid about whatever the flavor of the day is.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I think there is a opening for Class Action, but the problem is finding the proof for a court of law, showing the move to a demotion or a crappy job was due to their age and not a lack of job performance because they did not drink the Corp coolaid about whatever the flavor of the day is.
I get what many are saying, but the bottom line is that they won't put someone valuable on the shelf. Maybe some older employees (and I'm in this group) have become complacent? Something to consider anyway.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I never saw or experienced any "direct" threats or serious overtures.
Just a lot of questions and "Whys" and they finally moved me to a job that was incredibly boring so I retired.
I needed a push and it was push enough.

Z

ZQXC

I never saw or experienced any "direct" threats or serious overtures.
Just a lot of questions and "Whys" and they finally moved me to a job that was incredibly boring so I retired.
I needed a push and it was push enough.

What was the incredibly boring job?

Printing the master report, that combines and condenses all the other reports?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Initiative Coordinator for Enterprise Technology projects.
It was a 6 month engagement in the front-end process of an 18 month development cycle.
It would be akin a cutting the boards to spec for a cabinetmaker to build and install cabinets.
My previous jobs for 18 years was the end-to-end management and involvement in Technology projects.
Only UPS can turn Technology projects into assembly line work. :mellow:

That would be even worse!
Probably well below my pay grade ... most likely a clerical person.

PhatAzz

You should ALWAYS print and keep your Agent Orange, CDMA, QPR etc. for as far back as you can go. I did.
I would have found it odd that my yearly appraisals were good for 25 years and then my last two were found "needing improvement".
Hmmmm? I have copies of mine all the way back to 1988.
Damm I'm old... :biggrin:

I haven't reported to work for almost two months now.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
This thread should be linked every time a starry-eyed part-timer asks; "My supervisor thinks I'm pretty great and would make a terrific supervisor, should I make the jump?"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, today was the last one. I crossed the finish line last November but stayed thru peak and March to get my last shot of stock. Got the direct deposit statement from UPS and Teamsters yesterday. Wifey looked at it and smiled. Life's Good.
You should ALWAYS print and keep your Agent Orange, CDMA, QPR etc. for as far back as you can go. I did.
I would have found it odd that my yearly appraisals were good for 25 years and then my last two were found "needing improvement".
Hmmmm? I have copies of mine all the way back to 1988.
Damm I'm old... :biggrin:

I haven't reported to work for almost two months now.

Life's Good!

box_beeyotch

And then read the rest of Brown Cafe where drivers whine, bitch and complain about their jobs.

We do tend to bitch and complain a lot. Maybe we need a thread where we focus on the positives of our career for once...because let's be honest, we really have it made.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
complacent or overcompensated? remember new operations managers dont even get a pension

Fragile

You know reading this thread is concerning for two reasons...

1. No full time driver in this company with experience that is at top pay that would leave their hourly gig and go into management simply because there isn't any incentive.
2. As a full time driver, with experience, I'm terrified who's going to be in charge in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: