Manager harassing new drivers because of OT .

Working4the1%

Love it when I get back from vacation and my regulars ask "Why Dont you call us to find out if we have a package rather then driving all the way out here...like that other guy"

Tuned Out

Engineers, the only employees more worthless than the typical Ops Manager. Almost none of them have an Engineering Degree BTW.
Engineers take a birds eye look and never take the time to see why Route 007 has a gap when going from A to B. Maybe if you go and find out at 10:15 DRA has me crossing Main Street right when the Plant is changing shifts and traffic is a bear.. A good engineer ASKs questions, goes on a short checkride around the time of a daily issue and does not ASSume the answer is the courier is getting coffee, talking to an attractive customer etc.. Too many managers shoot first and investigate NEVER

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
No doubt you’d claim one check ride isn’t really enough even if a manager did one. “Oh, you saw one perfect day, that doesn’t count!”
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Maui

Define harassment. I've seen employees call any feedback harassment. It is a manager's job to manage performance. If you are new to a route, then it is important that you know what the route standard is and how you're doing. Providing that feedback is important for everyone to be successful.

There should be no check ride in this environment and hitting goal with likely fewer stops is unreasonable.

MAKAVELI

Define harassment. I've seen employees call any feedback harassment. It is a manager's job to manage performance. If you are new to a route, then it is important that you know what the route standard is and how you're doing. Providing that feedback is important for everyone to be successful.

There should be no check ride in this environment and hitting goal with likely fewer stops is unreasonable.
Fewer stops = more time between stops. You should know this by now.

Maui

Fewer stops = more time between stops. You should know this by now.
Did you see my reply? I said hitting goal is unreasonable. Right now, there's no way productivity will be achieved. OT though? Is that how the route is structured? How are stops compared to normal?

I'm still curious what constitutes harassment to the OP. It may well be, but communicating goals and planned number of stops, SPH, and/or RTB is necessary.

MAKAVELI

Did you see my reply? I said hitting goal is unreasonable. Right now, there's no way productivity will be achieved. OT though? Is that how the route is structured? How are stops compared to normal?

I'm still curious what constitutes harassment to the OP. It may well be, but communicating goals and planned number of stops, SPH, and/or RTB is necessary.
You just said communicating of goals is necessary and those goals are unreasonable in the same post. Which one is it ? LMAO!

Maui

Right now? It would be about staying safe and getting everything delivered. The regular route goals are probably no longer valid in this environment. Managers should still communicate goals- get everything delivered, reduced OT, etc.

I don't think there should be much conversation about GAP reports or the like, but if stops are down OT should be too. That's a reasonable expectation.

Also, if the OP is very bad on-road, then s/he should receive communication about that. The OP provides no context and just asks what to do when being harassed for "extra hours you take finishing deliveries." If the OP is taking 10 hours for 6 hours of work, then communicating an expectation is necessary.

Everyone just took the OPs word that harassment was taking place and gave advice without knowing anything at all about the situation.

MAKAVELI

That all depends on the station and individual routes. While the company as a whole might be down there are stations and routes that have a surge in volume. You can't make blanket assumptions based on volume company wide.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Engineers take a birds eye look and never take the time to see why Route 007 has a gap when going from A to B. Maybe if you go and find out at 10:15 DRA has me crossing Main Street right when the Plant is changing shifts and traffic is a bear.. A good engineer ASKs questions, goes on a short checkride around the time of a daily issue and does not ASSume the answer is the courier is getting coffee, talking to an attractive customer etc.. Too many managers shoot first and investigate NEVER

In that case, I've never seen a "good" engineer at FedEx. Usually, they come up with inane ideas to shave a few seconds off the sort or reload, and those get shelved within a few days because they don't make sense.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No doubt you’d claim one check ride isn’t really enough even if a manager did one. “Oh, you saw one perfect day, that doesn’t count!”

From experience, check rides frequently cause the planets to align in such a way as to produce shifts that are exponentially better or worse than the average shift because it always seemed that "I never have luck this good" or "I never struggle like this" were uttered during check rides.

vantexan

I've had mgrs ask how busy I was before going out on a checkride. If real busy they had me run them back to the station at lunch. Had a mgr who was running a side cleaning business at night. He brought a pillow and slept through entire check ride and I was told he did that with others too. So don't assume that couriers are making up stuff. For every competent mgr there are quite a few who got into it for the money but don't really know what they're doing. And either screw things up or let couriers run the show.