Managment following you

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'd agree paper all the way for very rural routes. I noticed how the address is more of a suggestion on google lol.

Google maps is my goto if I'm not 100% and need a nudge in the right direction. I figure the 10 seconds to voice command the address is worth not driving by it, turning wrong way on address split, etc. Its way faster than a paper map. It's no way to learn a route though and would be nuts for each stop. I look, oh ok I know where I'm going and put phone away.

I think both have their place.

I use Google maps for only 2 reasons:

Dark out and want to find the house fast.

I want to know which side of the street it's on so I can go in the right way and not have to cross the street.

oldngray

nowhere special
I use Google maps for only 2 reasons:

Dark out and want to find the house fast.

I want to know which side of the street it's on so I can go in the right way and not have to cross the street.

Google maps can be useful but not 100% accurate. It can get you close but not always to the exact house.

In most places odd numbers are on the south and west sides of the streets.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Google maps can be useful but not 100% accurate. It can get you close but not always to the exact house.

In most places odd numbers are on the south and west sides of the streets.

My own house is on the south side of my street, EVEN
I'll take Google Maps over Farmer's Almanac lore

oldngray

nowhere special
My own house is on the south side of my street, EVEN
I'll take Google Maps over Farmer's Almanac lore

My house is also due south and even but that is because the road curves. It is following even east numbers. Which is why you always need to verify the house and check the number.

jaker

trolling
Our Saturday air drivers also do not have Orion as they leave directly from the airport to start delivering.

The last time that I drove on Saturday I did use my cell phone to find a couple of addresses as our Saturday delivery area includes parts that I had never delivered to in the past. I did not map my entire route out on my phone as I knew most of it and doing so would have been a huge waste of time, especially since I had EAMs to get rid of by 1030.
Why are you working on a Saturday , you are a 29 year employee

The only people who work Saturday with that much seniority are people hard up for money or management suck ups

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why are you working on a Saturday , you are a 29 year employee

The only people who work Saturday with that much seniority are people hard up for money or management suck ups

It has been at least 5 if not closer to 10 years since I did it.

Each time that I worked it was because they were short staffed.

Hard to turn down easy money.

They stopped letting me work on Saturday as I had a bad habit of delivering Monday air at the same time.

JustAnotherMike

"The best short-cut is to take the long way."
I don't know about Waze but I would rank Google ahead of Apple maps.

There are also other good map apps but not as popular.
waze is awesome . give it a go . even in NYC i haven't had an issue . been using it for about 15 months . very popular here in the north east

oldngray

nowhere special
waze is awesome . give it a go . even in NYC i haven't had an issue . been using it for about 15 months . very popular here in the north east

I have heard of Waze but never used it. Always seemed as much about social media as maps.

I have used Galileo. Its fairly simple but good for offline maps.

Box Ox

I don't know about Waze but I would rank Google ahead of Apple maps.

There are also other good map apps but not as popular.

I've been surprised to have had better experiences with Apple Maps than Google Maps. Google will occasionally throw strange locations and/or bad ways to get there. Apple has been pretty spot on.

I'll typically only GPS to find exact locations of houses on country roads (high speed with somebody on your tail) or country driveways (no house numbers).

Or to find out in real time which of several possible routes to ORION's next stop across town is shortest distance. Travel time be darned. My center manager seems to take over allowed better than over mileage.

oldngray

nowhere special
I've been surprised to have had better experiences with Apple Maps than Google Maps. Google will occasionally throw strange locations and/or bad ways to get there. Apple has been pretty spot on.

I'll typically only GPS to find exact locations of houses on country roads (high speed with somebody on your tail) or country driveways (no house numbers).

Or to find out in real time which of several possible routes to ORION's next stop across town is shortest distance. Travel time be darned. My center manager seems to take over allowed better than over mileage.

I liked Nokia HERE maps too.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The reason i ask is i plan on driving soon but dont know how you can learn a route without using a map on your phone . Just thought it was crazy they would try and do that ....
Get a map book. I did just fine the first 24 years of my career without a smart phone.

PT Car Washer

Get a map book. I did just fine the first 24 years of my career without a smart phone.
I still don't have a smart phone and carry my map book every Saturday and weekdays when I cover for vacation air drivers. Most times it just sits on the dashboard but gives me a lot of comfort just knowing it is there. My son's smart phone died this last Saturday and he was lost but at least it was all OT. Saturday air was weather exempted this Saturday so no foul.