Manchester England bomb

vantexan

I think this was what you meant?
By the time GWB had left office the Surge had worked, both Sunni and Shia leaders had figured out Al-Qaeda was the real enemy, better to work with the Americans. Hearts and Minds and all that.
But as mentioned these factions have been warring forever. Only thing understood and respected is strength. And yes, bad a guy as he was, Hussein kept everything under control. Even allowed over a million Iraqi Christians and other groups to practice their faith in peace.
We shouldn't have went in but Hussein claiming WMD's(which every major intelligence service believed true as well as most major Democrats), being in violation of 17 U.N. resolutions, supporting suicide bombers in Israel, messing around with the petrodollar, etc pretty much earned him an invasion after 9/11.
Can claim opportunism if you like, but fact is we got things eventually under control. Completely leaving was against military advice, and everything unraveled after we did.
I doubt some here will shed a tear but Christian community pretty much gone. And if it matters at all Iraq is a land full of ancient sites. Priceless artifacts, temples, frescoes, statues, etc have been destroyed by ISIS. This is a group that won't tolerate anything but Islam.
Imagine if a huge group of the KKK revolted in Mississippi and there was no one nearby strong enough to stop them and the ones who could turned a blind eye for years while they killed every minority they could? And in the most brutal fashion? Would it just be intolerance towards another religious group then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Here's an idea.....
You can move to a city that has not one but two mosques.
One day a week the street that is also shared by a residential area has taxi's parked on both sides by the mosques.
The neighbors have complained and were told, by the mussies, that they (mussies) own the street.
The city won't do anything about the parking being so congested that emergency vehicles couldn't get down the street.

Oh wait........never mind....you live in a gated community (far from reality).
I don't live in a gated community.
I live out in the country with no visible neighbors.
Sitting outside listening to music with a small fire going. Trey Anatasio

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Imagine if a huge group of the KKK revolted in Mississippi and there was no one nearby strong enough to stop them and the ones who could turned a blind eye for years while they killed every minority they could?
And in the most brutal fashion?
Would it just be intolerance towards another religious group then?
This was Mississippi for the first half of the 20th century.
Lynching is pretty brutal.
Baptists never had anything against the AME.

vantexan

This was Mississippi for the first half of the 20th century.
Lynching is pretty brutal.
Baptists never had anything against the AME.
It was very bad, but nowhere as bad as ISIS. But there is a comparison. Hussein brutalized Iraqis for decades. Same in Mississippi. Area was brought under control by U.S. gov't. Same in Mississippi. In that context how'd you like to see a KKK eruption in Mississippi, or Alabama next door, that not only isn't quickly put down but allowed to spread?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It was very bad, but nowhere as bad as ISIS. But there is a comparison. Hussein brutalized Iraqis for decades. Same in Mississippi. Area was brought under control by U.S. gov't. Same in Mississippi. In that context how'd you like to see a KKK eruption in Mississippi, or Alabama next door, that not only isn't quickly put down but allowed to spread?
I'm more worried about cyborgs.