Manchin Will Not Eliminate The Filibuster, Major Setback For Liberal Democrats

bbsam

Staff member
I don’t think it is. I think if you followed the money which I don’t have time to, you would see rampant corruption and cronyism with the American tax payer lining democrat donors up and down this boondoggle. You know it’s bad when they can’t even hide a large portion of it to lie to us.
That’s kinda dumb. I think you’d see a ton of that money going to red states. I think you’d see some turn blue fairly quickly. But that’s what happen when people like how a party governs. Biden (I mean Harris) aims to force republicans to vote against their constituents best interest.

El Correcto

god is dead
That’s kinda dumb. I think you’d see a ton of that money going to red states. I think you’d see some turn blue fairly quickly. But that’s what happen when people like how a party governs. Biden (I mean Harris) aims to force republicans to vote against their constituents best interest.
Just like with Obama care and flooding the southern border with central and South Americans. The GOP will never win again!

I have faith that Americans care more about leadership that loves this country than watching deranged lefties flagellate each other on the alter of racism and bribing everyone.

bbsam

Staff member
Did you read it? What happened in 1975? They didn't mention it here but in 1986 they limited how long any one senator could speak to one hour. If that's not a rules change what is it?
It’s what I’ve said before. Senators agreeing on what they find acceptable. The actual filibuster remains at 60 vote cloture down from 67. That’s it. That’s the entire thing. The only reason the filibuster is as effective at blocking legislation today is because nobody forces the actual debate. The filibuster isn’t “used”. It’s “invoked”. Like a magical incantation. How is going back to actually debating on the floor weakening anything? Does it remove a magic that doesn’t exist?

vantexan

It’s what I’ve said before. Senators agreeing on what they find acceptable. The actual filibuster remains at 60 vote cloture down from 67. That’s it. That’s the entire thing. The only reason the filibuster is as effective at blocking legislation today is because nobody forces the actual debate. The filibuster isn’t “used”. It’s “invoked”. Like a magical incantation. How is going back to actually debating on the floor weakening anything? Does it remove a magic that doesn’t exist?
Because under the old rules someone speaking for say 36 hrs straight was just a delaying tactic. Nothing new was brought up, issues weren't resolved. Just BS. So 35 years ago they changed the rules so no one could speak more than one hour. There's no gentleman's agreement that they could revert back from if they chose. They can't speak more than an hour and they don't even have to speak the full hour. And the fact remains if the minority party doesn't like particular legislation the filibuster is the one tool they have available to them to try and block it. Democrats used the filibuster process 327 times in 2020 to the Republicans one time. When Democrats are in the minority again do you think they'll miss the filibuster if they eliminate it now?

It will be fine

Because under the old rules someone speaking for say 36 hrs straight was just a delaying tactic. Nothing new was brought up, issues weren't resolved. Just BS. So 35 years ago they changed the rules so no one could speak more than one hour. There's no gentleman's agreement that they could revert back from if they chose. They can't speak more than an hour and they don't even have to speak the full hour. And the fact remains if the minority party doesn't like particular legislation the filibuster is the one tool they have available to them to try and block it. Democrats used the filibuster process 327 times in 2020 to the Republicans one time. When Democrats are in the minority again do you think they'll miss the filibuster if they eliminate it now?
Your argument is the minority should be able to halt all legislation. How is that helpful? There is no way republicans vote for anything in this Senate. The Covid relief bill is wildly popular and got 0 Republican votes. Republicans are out their bragging about the provisions in that bill that help their constituents after voting against it. The Senate is broken.

vantexan

Your argument is the minority should be able to halt all legislation. How is that helpful? There is no way republicans vote for anything in this Senate. The Covid relief bill is wildly popular and got 0 Republican votes. Republicans are out their bragging about the provisions in that bill that help their constituents after voting against it. The Senate is broken.
It's disingenuous to complain when your party used the filibuster 327 times last year which appeared to be fine for you. Whatever it takes to stop the Republican agenda but how dare they stop the Democratic agenda!

vantexan

And put forth reasonable legislation and you will get cooperation.

vantexan

It’s insane to believe that in the modern era. There is no scenario where Mitch supports any bill that could give Biden a win.
Trump offered to give 1.6 million "Dreamers" citizenship instead of the 800,000 the Dems had asked for in exchange for his wall. Pelosi was willing but Schumer said they weren't going to give Trump a win. If there's a lack of cooperation the last four years might have something to do with it. But seriously, try reasonable legislation and let's see.

bbsam

Staff member
Good question. I’m thinking operatives are taking the pulse of West Virginians right now to figure out exactly what that would be. We’re still only 3 months into the Harris Administration. Plenty of time. Maybe even push it off until the summer of ‘22 when they push through a massive job creating spending bill and dare republicans to run against it.
And here’s the first step…

bbsam

Staff member
Do you think after the Dems destroyed the coal industry that West Virginians are going to trust Democrats? It's the reason their state went red.
Manchin’s career is winding down. If he wasn’t looking to be “bought off” by his own party, he needn’t have said anything.

And be honest. Cheap natural gas killed the coal industry.

fishtm2001

Trump offered to give 1.6 million "Dreamers" citizenship instead of the 800,000 the Dems had asked for in exchange for his wall. Pelosi was willing but Schumer said they weren't going to give Trump a win. If there's a lack of cooperation the last four years might have something to do with it. But seriously, try reasonable legislation and let's see.
The wall was to be paid for by Mexico. donald guaranteed it.