Mandatory voting

DS

Fenderbender
Although its importance in this old world pales in comparison to the choice that you Americans are facing,we too are having an election in the near future.There's a debate going on about whether compulsory voting would be a good or a bad thing.There is the argument that by forcing people to vote,there will be those that just pick anyone,which could be fixed by changing the candidate order in different ridings.Or people just spoiling ballots would be better than none.
I'm not sure how it would pan out in the USA,but here,I think if you have no interest,or have the "they're all the same"attitude,I'd rather you did not vote.As of today,32 countries have compulsory voting in some shape or form.America on average,has a very low turn out,about 51%,we are slightly higher at around 59%,maybe the politicians like it this way.
Opinions?
interesting notes from wik....
Although voting in a country may be compulsory, penalties for failing to vote are not always strictly enforced. In Australia and Brazil, providing a legitimate reason for not voting (e.g. being in hospital) is accepted. In Argentina, those who were ill on voting day, or over 500 kilometers away from their voting place are also excused, by requesting a doctor to prove their condition, in the first case; or asking for a certificate at a police station near where they are, in the second case.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't thnk that there should be mandatory voting. There are a lot of people that don't have a clue about the political process and are simply not informed enough to cast a ballot. If somebody doesn't have a clue about what is going on, then they need to stay away from the ballot box on Election Day.

tieguy

Banned
I don't thnk that there should be mandatory voting. There are a lot of people that don't have a clue about the political process and are simply not informed enough to cast a ballot. If somebody doesn't have a clue about what is going on, then they need to stay away from the ballot box on Election Day.

Agreed. Why just think there are actually people in the world that think Obama is qualified to be president. :happy-very:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The problem is the people who have no business in the ballot box, and have no clue, will be carted in, with a cheat sheet on election day. They are actually the ones who should not vote.
I think instead of mandatory voting, there should be a test TO vote. And if you know no candidate or current events, you should go home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think instead of mandatory voting, there should be a test TO vote. And if you know no candidate or current events, you should go home.

There should also be a test before you are allowed to become a parent. If you don't have a job or a place to live you shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

wkmac

Compelling me to purchase a product that doesn't meet or fit my needs seems to me is the pinnacle of draconian power made worse by forcing me into the store in the first place.

Would we tolerate a commercial entity who positioned themselves to be able to do this to us? When you see politicians as mere products and votes as currency, compulsory voting just becomes another nail in the coffin of personal freedom and choice.

If compelled to vote, I would intentionally vote for the absolute worst candidate on the ballot and encourage others to do the same in the hopes of making our condition more dire forcing the reality of needed change to set in.

But the utter impossibility of this action is made so by the reality of trying to determine just which candidate is truly the worst in the first place at achieving those ends.

Maybe that speaks volumes to why the growing trend of non voters is actually growing to begin with.
;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Compelling me to purchase a product that doesn't meet or fit my needs seems to me is the pinnacle of draconian power made worse by forcing me into the store in the first place.

Would we tolerate a commercial entity who positioned themselves to be able to do this to us? When you see politicians as mere products and votes as currency, compulsory voting just becomes another nail in the coffin of personal freedom and choice.

If compelled to vote, I would intentionally vote for the absolute worst candidate on the ballot and encourage others to do the same in the hopes of making our condition more dire forcing the reality of needed change to set in.

But the utter impossibility of this action is made so by the reality of trying to determine just which candidate is truly the worst in the first place at achieving those ends.

Maybe that speaks volumes to why the growing trend of non voters is actually growing to begin with.
;)

...hence the "write-in" option...

wkmac

I'm all for mandatory voting, so long as there is a None of the Above option on the ballot.

I oppose even with such option. Forcing me into a store yet not forcing me to buy is still force. None of you would tolerate such a private action so why contradict yourself on a collective public level?

Besides, the none of the above option is already there. Write in bold print on the ballot "None of the Above" and turn it in. Take a photo, post it on the net and encourage others to follow suit and then see what happens. Count the non voter as none of the above and that position already wins and seems to be growing in number with each election. What does it already say now that several of you believe that none of the above would win if such option were available? Yet, how do you still vote on election day?

Maybe the fact that such option is not available on any ballot is saying something but you're not open to the idea enough of hearing it.
;)