Mandatory voting

wkmac

I have to wonder what the election workers would do if they saw the flash of a cell phone camera in the voting booth. At $10/hr they probably wouldn't give a :censored2:.

As popular an idea that None of the above seems to be, when I hear people talk about elections and their options when voting, some of the poll workers may appreciate the cause and take the Sgt Shultz position.

94694_lhfievvxymq42bd.jpg

BrownArmy

...What does it already say now that several of you believe that none of the above would win if such option were available? Yet, how do you still vote on election day?

Maybe the fact that such option is not available on any ballot is saying something but you're not open to the idea enough of hearing it...
;)

What is the conclusion of this line of thought?

What if no one voted? (What if everyone voted?)

What is an alternative that you could propose?

Again, I'm not sure that 'no one votes' is helpful or makes sense, in any sort of substantive fashion.

We possibly agree in terms of zero good choices in which to vote upon, but I disagree in terms of the process.

We don't have a supply problem, we have a distribution problem.

Taking the gluttonous absurd money out of our political system would be a start...

wkmac

What is the conclusion of this line of thought?

What if no one voted? (What if everyone voted?)

What is an alternative that you could propose?

Again, I'm not sure that 'no one votes' is helpful or makes sense, in any sort of substantive fashion.

We possibly agree in terms of zero good choices in which to vote upon, but I disagree in terms of the process.

We don't have a supply problem, we have a distribution problem.

Taking the gluttonous absurd money out of our political system would be a start...

OK, let's play.

If no one voted. Without customers a business can't sustain itself. If an entity existed claiming authority yet no one supported that entity, the chance is that the vast majority of people would ignore that authority claim and do their own thing so to speak.

If everyone voted. System is perfect, why change anything. Is that the ultimate conclusion being driven by mandatory voting?

What is an alternative
? Not voting at all, writing none of the above on the ballot, never voting for an incumbent, only voting 3rd party, never voting democrat or republican, only voting in local elections, only voting locally for people who want to bring the broadest gov't back into the local environs............All of these at once.

I'm sure we could continue and others could add to this list but the point is there is no single stand alone solution, no collective one size fits all so stop looking for one and come up with your own solutions. Rule yourself, don't let others do it for you.

"No one votes" doesn't work for you because it just doesn't work for you. Because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean this is true for everyone and the opposite is thus true as well. There are many reasons people don't vote from lazy to philosophical.

Agree on choices, disagree on process. OK. See no one votes answer.

Distribution problem. Not sure what this means to you but I agree in this case from the following POV.

VASTLY, VASTLY, VASTLY to much power has been centralized at the top and power stripped out and away from local control. If there was an argument for voting it would be to strengthen local autonomy through local elections that take back power from topdown structures. This could also come in forms beyond just voting but that's another discussion in and of itself and would be widely diverse too.

Taking money out of politics
. Seems to me on a certain level that what I said about the distribution problem might apply to money in politics as well. If there are 100's if not 1000's of autonomous communities as opposed to one homogenous state, if one were looking to buy something and control it, which would be more costly and require more effort and energy to achieve, the former or the latter?

I agree taking out the money might be an important step but lest we forget it was the money that built this damn monster to begin with. What does that say and where might that conclusion take us?

To end on a bit of a humorous note, I've always liked the idea of making elected politicians wearing uniforms like a NASCAR driver in which you can see the true sponsors.