Martrac Trailers

trumpet

Does anyone know what the outside length is on the new Martrac Trailers? They look like 53' trailers, but they don't have 53' markings on them.

A

Anonymous GearJammer

Everyone that I have seen are 53', and no they do not have to label them with the big 53.

D

driver x

If the refrigeration unit is surounded by a frame then it`s a 48`,if it`s out on the front of the trailer on it`s own the it`s a 53`. And they`re all junk.

dragracer66

If the refrigeration unit is surounded by a frame then it`s a 48`,if it`s out on the front of the trailer on it`s own the it`s a 53`. And they`re all junk.
That would be incorrect "ALL" new Martracs are 53' I just inserviced 15 of them and they all were the same, and no they only require the height to be on them not the length.....

trumpet

It is a Federal Law that any & all 53' Trailers must have Length Markings on each Front Corner - this is the reason I started this Thread. I am not sure if it is the Trailer Manufacturer or Ups's responsibility to do this though.

P

pickup

what's the deal with the martracs? I mean why do they have refrigeration units when we put stuff in it that doesn't need refrigeration?

raceanoncr

what's the deal with the martracs? I mean why do they have refrigeration units when we put stuff in it that doesn't need refrigeration?

Haul produce and other refregerated stuff on one leg and on back-haul, they haul pkgs for the Big Brown and vice-versa.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Haul produce and other refregerated stuff on one leg and on back-haul, they haul pkgs for the Big Brown and vice-versa.

I was told once that we ship more packages east to west so the company came up with the idea of refrigerated trailers we could rent to produce companies for the return trip east.

We do use them for refrigeration during Mother's Day when picking up from customers like 1-800-Flowers.

The '53 footers put the refrigeration unit rightnexttotherearwindow. Especially on the old long nose Internationals. For some reason, I find it disconcerting to be so close to it.

bluehdmc

Manahattan there is no 53s for sure. Not positive about the boogie down Bronx.
anyone know?

If you go to the NYC DOT's website you can get a "truck route" map for NYC for free. What it states are "no combinations longer than 56ft", and "no wider than 8ft 6in". (except fire equipment and buses with a capacity of more than 16 passengers can be 102") Other than the "thru routes", I95, 495, etc. I go by the Javitts Center every nite and see 53' there. I saw a Fedex 53 in Manhattan. I know a driver that got rear ended in NYC, got a ticket for not having an "R" permit. It's one of those things, if you get caught you get a ticket, since most trailers are 102" and you are over 56' even with a 45' trailer. If NYC were to crack down on this commerce would basically stop.

It seems they send them to FL and out west and then IC's bring them back with produce on them. I've seen empties with peppers and other stuff on the floors. Certain #'s can no longer be sent to CA because of a CA law relating to the refridgerant used.

bluehdmc

Have you ever turned one on during a hot summer day before spotting it up to be loaded?

I don't know about anyone turning one on, but sometimes they are not shut off and sit there running while being loaded. Although this usually seems to happen on cool fall days. Probably with enough trailers stategically spotted around a building you could cool the building, those reefer units can get pretty cold, like a deep freeze.

Have you ever turned one on during a hot summer day before spotting it up to be loaded?

Why? Here if they catch someone doiing that they`ll walk them for stealing company resources (the fuel). We see PTs and hub sups turn them on and we turn them right back off.