Mass exodus of RTDs

zeev

Between the new healthcare increases no step increase and the recognition of how lousy the portable pension is. Many of the newer RTDs are leaving many are going to UPS. FedEx’s goal is to lower their express cost closer to ground. RTDs have options couriers don’t my advice take the trucker training and leave.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Between the new healthcare increases no step increase and the recognition of how lousy the portable pension is. Many of the newer RTDs are leaving many are going to UPS. FedEx’s goal is to lower their express cost closer to ground. RTDs have options couriers don’t my advice take the trucker training and leave.

Sage advice. UPS probably won't hire you until you get some experience, nor will any of the other high-paying companies. You can do a year in Camp Fred and get your skills down and a year of experience, and then leave.

The important thing is to leave, because things aren't going to get better.

fedex_rtd

Depends on the area, I was talking with a UPS feeder driver and he told me that in Washington state they are hiring Feeder drivers off the street, but in other parts of the country there is a waiting list.

If you have a class A and a 2 year medical along with some experience and a clean driving record...walking is your best option.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Depends on the area, I was talking with a UPS feeder driver and he told me that in Washington state they are hiring Feeder drivers off the street, but in other parts of the country there is a waiting list.

If you have a class A and a 2 year medical along with some experience and a clean driving record...walking is your best option.

Good point on the 2 year Medical. Nobody wants you with a restricted card. In other words, get healthy, lose some weight, and get the BP down so you can LEAVE.

zeev

Very true they used to require 3 years at most places but one of are female drivers took an over the road job and she has months not years of experience. She took a road test with them whatever that means and they hired her.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Very true they used to require 3 years at most places but one of are female drivers took an over the road job and she has months not years of experience. She took a road test with them whatever that means and they hired her.

There are a few employers out there that give tough road tests with third party providers, like blindside backs into a dock etc, and include by the book difficult pre-trips. It's easy to see who knows their stuff with one of these guys. If you miss a shift or tick a curb, the test is over. In fact, you don't even drive if you make any errors on the pre-trip.

I have a friend who works for a premium private carrier ($41 per hour, stellar benefits, lots of OT), and they wash out 90% of applicants with the above procedures. After you successfully pass the pre-trip and road test, you go before a panel of hiring managers and get the third degree for an hour.

He made $140K last year.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
There are a few employers out there that give tough road tests with third party providers, like blindside backs into a dock etc, and include by the book difficult pre-trips. It's easy to see who knows their stuff with one of these guys. If you miss a shift or tick a curb, the test is over. In fact, you don't even drive if you make any errors on the pre-trip.

I have a friend who works for a premium private carrier ($41 per hour, stellar benefits, lots of OT), and they wash out 90% of applicants with the above procedures. After you successfully pass the pre-trip and road test, you go before a panel of hiring managers and get the third degree for an hour.

He made $140K last year.

I have a feeling you washed out.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No, but I was invited to try out. 2M and no accidents, Dano. I would have done just fine. I prefer real estate. More money.

Because that's what most people who earn that kind of money in real estate do: they spend hours on message boards bashing former employers!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Because that's what most people who earn that kind of money in real estate do: they spend hours on message boards bashing former employers!

I'm my own boss and work my own hours. I still have concern for my friends who are unfortunate to still work at Fred's Salt Mine and I encourage them to leave.

You, I encourage to stay. You're where you belong.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You spent a whole year blowing smoke defending this indefensible company while you supposedly had a different job. If you put the same dedication into that other job, maybe they would've kept you. Then again, maybe "that other job" was just a red herring all along.

Serf

I think this thread has merit. And should keep going because one simple reason; Aside from one or two other niche type jobs at Express, RTD used to be the best. No street hires, lots of seniority, etc. It's revealing.
In addition, in the past I've seen couriers/DOT get high blood pressure and management drop them down to Non DOT. Meaning they can only drive Sprinters or vans. If you're in the good old boy club, possibilities are endless.

Csdsm18

Yepp well I was with fedex express for 5yrs did 2yrs of RTD n left to go to ups to get laid off after a month. Wasn't how I was planned on working at ups. I was ups air freight, it slowed down so they let me go. Now I definitely have many options just trying to find the right company. I have fedex ground down the street for me which I'm gonna try out. The contractor has been around for 20yrs and they offer health benefits. So I'll see where that goes. But yes once you get experience you have alot of options of companies. Find the right one that clicks for you is the hard part.

Serf

Yepp well I was with fedex express for 5yrs did 2yrs of RTD n left to go to ups to get laid off after a month. Wasn't how I was planned on working at ups. I was ups air freight, it slowed down so they let me go. Now I definitely have many options just trying to find the right company. I have fedex ground down the street for me which I'm gonna try out. The contractor has been around for 20yrs and they offer health benefits. So I'll see where that goes. But yes once you get experience you have alot of options of companies. Find the right one that clicks for you is the hard part.
What region of the country are you in?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Learn a trade, get in a trade union and make some real money.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Trucking sucks - period. Used to be a great blue collar way to make a living for those who enjoyed running up an down the open highways and bi-ways, but these days everyone is constantly up your ass, they just don’t want to pay diddly squat for the privilege.

DOT, ELD, cameras everywhere, never-ending roadwork, detours, morons in cars constantly cutting in front of and brake-checking you (and God forbid you rear-end one of these Einsteins cuz of course it’s automatically entirely YOUR fault).

Not recommended unless you enjoy being perpetually frustrated and pissed off.

Otherwise, it’s really a great job.