Meeting with boss

sikidiki

Are you serious !!!!!!

giphy.gif

You should stick to delivering pizzas if you need turn by turn directions every stop.
BTW......all the even numbers are on the same side of the street FYI

believe me or not, i don't need my gps on the route i was trained on, i can find each house by memory, but i learned it by using my gps, The route i was running blind on rarely had houses on the same street, too far and in between and even and odd on both sides. I'd love to see you run it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

believe me or not, i don't need my gps on the route i was trained on, i can find each house by memory, but i learned it by using my gps, The route i was running blind on rarely had houses on the same street, too far and in between and even and odd on both sides. I'd love to see you run it.

I would run it and then have to figure out what to do after lunch.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

They call those high seniority routes in CT.

sikidiki

I know those high mileage routes are what everyone ends up liking and taking because its 80-100 stops at most. I'm sure if i went out there for a few months id be just fine. We all eventually learn over time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know those high mileage routes are what everyone ends up liking and taking because its 80-100 stops at most. I'm sure if i went out there for a few months id be just fine. We all eventually learn over time.
Honestly some just struggle with rural routes and some people love them.

I'll take a blind rural route over a heavy in town route any day.

I have buddies that won't touch a rural route with a 10ft pole.

Brownslave688

This is a national standard.
No it is not. I have counties I deliver to on a grid system where each mile is 1000. I love these routes it takes no time at all to learn one.

I deliver to other counties though (also 911) where it's on a grid system but a 25-30 mile wide county starts at 100 and ends in the 8000's

Brownslave688

Doesn't mean it's followed everywhere.
I just don't get how hard it is to give people an address.

One route I deliver has 3 roads that come off the main road like a tree branch. Each road has one house with the address of the main road they branch off of. Pain in the ass

sikidiki

I am one of those people that hate heavy in town routes, too many businesses and variables for someone as new as me. I trained on a fairly rural route that has a few signature stops and no pick ups and the rest are just chill roads and a few hard to find houses. The rural i have been doing is sketchy mountain roads, unpaved roads, grizzly bear on the side of the road, sunny, rainy snowy all in the same day rural. I like the 2nd option best :P

Staydryitsraining

If you want to work and dont want to hear, well you said you were out blind and you dont want to run blind routes use your gps and do the best you can. If you dont want blind routes, get a map and use the map and run trace 100%. Youll never run that route again and be considered last option for a route you dont know again.

john chesney

So our boss calls me and 4 other drivers in, mind you the regional boss, not the center boss, along with the steward and tells us that because of past supervisors methods that none of us should even be ups drivers, because we all got a "free pass" on our packets during peak. After the initial shock on everyones faces, she continued to say we are all over allowed and asks us how we can fix it.

She points to me and tells me i have to be 1 hour under allowed than i was yesterday, and i tell her its not happening. She asks why and i said, because this is the 2nd time i've been on this route and its not gonna happen, i have no area knowledge.

The steward chimes in and says, i cant believe you are even sending him cold on this route in the first place and with that crappy manual truck, keep in mind the steward did this route before. He also said every single route in that area needs a re study, So after trying to find someone to come ride with me, she realized no one else had area knowledge and i was basically out on my own.

The post offices in those small rural areas close early as well so by the time trace had me show up to one it was closed and i had 9 closed after 5. She continues to tell me since she knows it was my first time on route and that i have no area knowledge she wont give me a warning letter...lol

Every day ive done that route, (2 times) ive come in after 12 hours and ECD everything i couldn't get to. It sucks but i guess every time they send me out cold ill just do my best and punch every address in the gps until it comes to me.
Tell her to fix it with a new time study and add 60 minutes to it

sikidiki

Its either a gps or a map, pick your poison, i've never been out there. Can't expect much but my best effort which i gave.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I always love the GPS debate at UPS. At my center there's an age divide between GPS-users and map-users. The old, angry washed up Teamsters with blown knees only use maps while the entitled, pansy millennials (including our ORSs) like to use GPS.

Suggestion, use a GPS for places you might not know then slowly wean yourself off of it. I swear our ORSs wouldn't know where anything was if it weren't for those tablets they carry around all the time.

sikidiki

THANK YOU ^^ i am a whiny boy for sure, but like ive said before, the route im trained on i no longer need my gps and its nice, but to be blind where no 2 houses are on the same road and they are named names like sheep and par tee lane, how the friend am i expected to know where those are and how is looking at a map for the same amount of time or more faster than putting in the address and going straight to it? These older dudes probably have sundials on their dashboard to tell the time right? LUL