Merry Christmas UPS here's your 24 Million Dollar Check

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
That's it Quinn has lost my vote for reelection! Giving $24 million to a company that will profit well over a billion this year is outrageous! Other companies are closing its doors, or on the verge like YRC but lets help profitable companies! BS

Agreed, if they say they dont need it, why get and keep it anyways?

UPS shouldnt have to owe up to anyone. This is our buisness, we should have the right to say things about this openly. Our opinions should matter. UPS always wants to talk about letting people go, year by year, but never does, why? Its because UPS does well enough on its own not to let go or take on debt.

It seems to be one of the running themes with the bail outs. A lot like people remaking movies or old songs. Once a few people start doing it, then everyone wants in.

Over all, I believe this is only another stunt for media. An example is bank of America paying back its debt so quickly. That UPS too will say "hey look at us, we paid it back too... with intrest even!". Please, that kind've stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

Agreed, if they say they dont need it, why get and keep it anyways?

UPS shouldn't have to owe up to anyone. This is our business, we should have the right to say things about this openly. Our opinions should matter. UPS always wants to talk about letting people go, year by year, but never does, why? Its because UPS does well enough on its own not to let go or take on debt.

It seems to be one of the running themes with the bail outs. A lot like people remaking movies or old songs. Once a few people start doing it, then everyone wants in.

Over all, I believe this is only another stunt for media. An example is bank of America paying back its debt so quickly. That UPS too will say "hey look at us, we paid it back too... with interest even!". Please, that kind've stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

There`s nothing to pay back! It was incentives in the form of tax credits,a common form of incentive to entice companys to come or stay in a particular area. It`s done on all levels from the local to the national. "Build your factory here,employ or residents,and we`ll give you tax credits". It`s not hard to understand and it`s not some unscrupulous deal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not a bailout in any way, shape or form. Municipalities use incentives like this all the time to either retain existing businesses or lure new businesses to set up shop in their town. Does the term PILOT mean anything to you?

randomUPSISer

This is not a bailout in any way, shape or form. Municipalities use incentives like this all the time to either retain existing businesses or lure new businesses to set up shop in their town. Does the term PILOT mean anything to you?

Ok, so why give it to a company that has no intentions of leaving, and is already there?

Me thinks there is more to this story than the article let out. I've no inside knowledge, but I wonder if UPS said to the city "we are planning to pack up and leave to consolidate that volume to WorldPort" and the city came back saying "how much money would you save by consolidating that volume?" Perhaps the city then got together than amount of money plus more to keep them there.

I cant see why, besides a behind the scenese conversation like that, or a 100% paid for / bought government employee would do that for a healthy company that has no plans of going anywhere. There is ALWAYS an incentive when money is handed out.

lastoasis

Ok, so why give it to a company that has no intentions of leaving, and is already there?

Me thinks there is more to this story than the article let out. I've no inside knowledge, but I wonder if UPS said to the city "we are planning to pack up and leave to consolidate that volume to WorldPort" and the city came back saying "how much money would you save by consolidating that volume?" Perhaps the city then got together than amount of money plus more to keep them there.

I cant see why, besides a behind the scenese conversation like that, or a 100% paid for / bought government employee would do that for a healthy company that has no plans of going anywhere. There is ALWAYS an incentive when money is handed out.

sounds like hardball bidness to me