Minumum wage to $15.00 per hour in NJ

10 point

By federal law they cannot be paid under minimum wage. That's why it's called " minimum wage".
There's a federal minimum wage for "servers".
In 1985 it was somewhere between $1.50 and $1.92 per hr.
We paid our servers $3.50 plus tips after the first year, kept our workforce from excessive turn over (at least as bad as other food service businesses), and they made $200-300 in tips plus base wage per week. That was great money back then.

There's money to be made in food service if you make it past the first five yrs and chains make a ton more than most Mom and Pop's placed....with a few exceptions.

JL 0513

The McDonald's in the Syracuse (NY) area are installing automated ordering service and replacing cashiers with "waiters" who will bring your order to your table. The "waiters" will be paid tip wages, which are much less than minimum wage, with the thought that the customers will make up the difference.

Not sure what McDonald's customer would rather pay a tip to have someone bring their Big Mac and fries to their table, LOL. Not me.

McDonald's is trying to be everything they're not. The McCafe stuff has just bogged down the speed of service which is one of their foundations. Fast food is supposed to be fast, in and out. If I had the time, I'm going someplace else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure what McDonald's customer would rather pay a tip to have someone bring their Big Mac and fries to their table, LOL. Not me.

McDonald's is trying to be everything they're not. The McCafe stuff has just bogged down the speed of service which is one of their foundations. Fast food is supposed to be fast, in and out. If I had the time, I'm going someplace else.

Dunkin Donuts has the same problem. I used to go there back when they just did coffee and donuts as I knew I would get in and out. Now that they serve all of that other stuff it takes forever to get your order, especially through the drive-thru.

MAKAVELI

1. New York isn't going that far, but advocates for the restaurant and hospitality industry say the new raise will hurt businesses nonetheless. Still, New York's tipped minimum wage is less than the state's standard minimum wage. That's currently $8.75 an hour and is scheduled to go up to $9 on Dec. 31.Feb 24, 2015
If the employee is expected to get regular tips as part of their pay they can make less than minimum wage.
That is correct
you obviously have never waited tables.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States
The tipped wage is base wage paid to an employee that receives a substantial portion of their compensation from tips. According to a commonlabor law provision referred to as a “tip credit”, the employee must earn at least the state’s minimum wage when tips and wages are combined or the Employer is Required to Increase the Wage to fulfill that threshold.[1][2][3] This ensures that all tipped employees earn at least the minimum wage: significantly more than the tipped minimum wage

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
The tipped wage is base wage paid to an employee that receives a substantial portion of their compensation from tips. According to a commonlabor law provision referred to as a “tip credit”, the employee must earn at least the state’s minimum wage when tips and wages are combined or the Employer is Required to Increase the Wage to fulfill that threshold.[1][2][3] This ensures that all tipped employees earn at least the minimum wage: significantly more than the tipped minimum wage
Cool cut and paste. And?

The tipped wage is base wage paid to an employee that receives a substantial portion of their compensation from tips. According to a commonlabor law provision referred to as a “tip credit”, the employee must earn at least the state’s minimum wage when tips and wages are combined or the employer is required to increase the wage to fulfill that threshold.[1][2][3] This ensures that all tipped employees earn at least the minimum wage: significantly more than the tipped minimum wage
Yes we know that. The employer can pay less than minimum wage as long as the tips equal or exceed the minimum wage.

Anything else? Or was I being racist again?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They would lose money if they were paid just the minimum wage.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is NJ, so understand what is really going on. The government workers pay (Democrat party base) is based on the minimum wage, the higher it goes, the higher their wages go. They always negotiate on a percentage of the minimum.

We have more government workers in NJ than some entire Countries.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is NJ, so understand what is really going on. The government workers pay (Democrat party base) is based on the minimum wage, the higher it goes, the higher their wages go. They always negotiate on a percentage of the minimum.

We have more government workers in NJ than some entire Countries.
Christie didn't fix all of that? ;)

AKCoverMan

The McDonald's in the Syracuse (NY) area are installing automated ordering service and replacing cashiers with "waiters" who will bring your order to your table. The "waiters" will be paid tip wages, which are much less than minimum wage, with the thought that the customers will make up the difference.
Good luck getting people to tip at McD!

underworked1

It doesn't take a genius to figure it out but then again most fighting for $15 aren't geniuses
15 dollars an hour isn't bad. Minimum wage was crafted to give people a living wage. Year after year inflation happens and minimum wage remains mostly stagnant. If minimum wage were adjusted yearly for inflation it would be at 20+. Ups, mcdonalds, etc churns billions upon billions in profit because they continually :censored2: the eyeballs out of their workers.
Edit: here is a copy paste: If our standard for minimum wages had kept pace with overall income growth in the American economy, it would now be $21.16 per hour.

Last edited:

underworked1

Actually the unions are fighting against this.

Ups part timers are compensated to the tune of much more than $15 an hour.
Which is why we are supposed to have a union. But the unions interest is only in the full timers. Our union does a really :censored2:ty job for the part timers who break their back just as bad and usually worse than the driver. (BTW I'm a driver)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Which is why we are supposed to have a union. But the unions interest is only in the full timers. Our union does a really :censored2:ty job for the part timers who break their back just as bad and usually worse than the driver. (BTW I'm a driver)

The Teamsters are not among those unions fighting against this.

MendozaJ

There is a Central American (and parts of the US) fried chicken chain called Pollo Campero that has long had table service and you do not have to leave a tip.

1. New York isn't going that far, but advocates for the restaurant and hospitality industry say the new raise will hurt businesses nonetheless. Still, New York's tipped minimum wage is less than the state's standard minimum wage. That's currently $8.75 an hour and is scheduled to go up to $9 on Dec. 31.Feb 24, 2015

The hourly wage for servers must meet federal/state minimum wage laws. If the server wage plus tips do not meet that minimum, the business must make up the difference. In other words, the server is guaranteed $9/HR even if no one walks through the door.

BrownBrokeDown

For you righteous :censored2:s, its not only about fast food. Every year the gap between the blue collar workers and the top management in corporations increase as well as top management working to cut wages/benefits to increase their profits so they get their bonuses and pay wall street their dividends. Take for example, warehousing. The actual pay, NO inflation accounted for, the actual green dollar bills that go into the bank, in the 80's the Actual pay was higher than now in certain areas of the country. THE ACTUAL PAY. Yet the Ceo's make all time highs, cut health benefits (try a $6000 family deductible out for size), and post profits that dwarf the 80's profits in actual dollars, NO inflation even factored in. Add the inflation for 30 yrs to that and well, :censored2: you self-righteous :censored2:s...

BrownBrokeDown

Let me let you in to some modern real world facts as well. warehousing Lead 8 yrs in,
$15.44/hr = 32115.20/yr pretax
$125.00/week for health, eye, dental (only pays $1200/person for the year) = -6500.00/yr
leaves= 25615.20 pretax/year
taxes with dependents claimed = 21516/year bringhome approximately
$300 dental deductible before the $1200 it pays*4(hope noone needs more than $1500 in dental work), $6000 family medical deductible - $2500 credit from company due to incentives(some of which require burning sick time to go to the doctor) = $3500 deductible = additional -4700 in medical expenses
Full time job = $16816 in bring home for the year for bills/groceries/anything else...