Misload Mitigation

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Sense of purpose is definitely a big factor here. Ask about what we are loading. The ones that don't misload will blurt out right away what it is, down to the name of the customer on the box or some distinguishing feature of the recieving building. The ones to look after will say idk and then smash that box into the nearest available shelf-hole. Just my 2c

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Since my Hub's Peak Season disaster, we still have a bunch of outside people trying to straighten it out. A few weeks ago, they started replacing the route numbers on the PAL label with the dock number. Instead of 23A, my route is PALed 0705. "07" is Red Belt and "05" is my dock position. Since I get different Preloaders all the time, I don't see if this is making any improvement.

The package cars aren't grouped together in the same delivery loops, meaning the cars on either side of me deliver a different city or the other side of the city I work in. So if I get a Missort, I'm too far away to make service on it. This is supposedly to "optimize" the Preloader's work somehow. We also have different start times now, I still have problems getting out due to larger cars parked in front of me.

Another new problem they created was bagging smalls with our new automated small sort. It was bad enough dumping Irregulars/Oversizes on the belt at the end of the sort, now these bags come down and slow the wrap time even more. Why can't they just hire enough Preloaders and start a little earlier so we can leave on time?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The package cars aren't grouped together in the same delivery loops, meaning the cars on either side of me deliver a different city or the other side of the city I work in. So if I get a Missort, I'm too far away to make service on it. This is supposedly to "optimize" the Preloader's work somehow.

I used to live that when I was moved around in the lineup (almost daily).

Usually, the cars on either side of me were up to 100 miles away.

watdaflock?

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a waste of time as this place seems to be full of keyboard warriors, however, Im looking to see if anyone has any tips or tricks, aside from working the belt methods, to prevent misloads.
Slow down.

[thank you Captain Obvious]

Have preloaders try turning the overhead lights on or opening the bulkhead door, one car to the next.

Sups should give routes actual names and not just random letters and numbers.

Last edited:

IESucks

Thanks, I'll bring up extra marking. Im a P/T Sup, I was a peak driver before. Trying to figure out a way to get the misloads down. We lost a lot of our experienced loaders to become drivers and the current loaders had very little training.
Seriously? Asking here? Until ups lessens the loads, hires more people , adds routes....there will always be misloads.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I've been kicking around ideas that include improving visual cues so that misloads are more obvious. When things get really heavy, higher cognitive functions get bogged down so it's easier for numbers and letter combinations to jumble in your brain. I like the idea of color coding, but they have trouble keeping the black ink printers working.

So maybe some sort of pattern specific to each route that is easy to recognize without having to waste much brain power. Still need to develop the idea further, but I think this is a better solution. Writing on packages and extra scanning just add to the amount of time it takes to handle each package, which should be the opposite of what you're going for. Print-on RFID chips and readers that automatically detect misloads would be a better technological solution.

I understand that these things are generally above your pay grade, but I didn't spend a lot of time on preload, so I'll leave the more practical suggestions to others.

PT Car Washer

I've been kicking around ideas that include improving visual cues so that misloads are more obvious. When things get really heavy, higher cognitive functions get bogged down so it's easier for numbers and letter combinations to jumble in your brain. I like the idea of color coding, but they have trouble keeping the black ink printers working.

So maybe some sort of pattern specific to each route that is easy to recognize without having to waste much brain power. Still need to develop the idea further, but I think this is a better solution. Writing on packages and extra scanning just add to the amount of time it takes to handle each package, which should be the opposite of what you're going for. Print-on RFID chips and readers that automatically detect misloads would be a better technological solution.

I understand that these things are generally above your pay grade, but I didn't spend a lot of time on preload, so I'll leave the more practical suggestions to others.
How did we not misload before all this new technology? Oh yeah, we read the adress label.

john chesney

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a waste of time as this place seems to be full of keyboard warriors, however, Im looking to see if anyone has any tips or tricks, aside from working the belt methods, to prevent misloads.
Please never use the word mitigation in a thread. We are truck drivers just put the damn box in the right truck in the right spot

john chesney

Dude you’re over thing this. This isn’t NASA

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Dude you’re over thing this. This isn’t NASA

People have this habit of identifying a problem and think that any solution is good, as long as you show someone that you are trying to fix the problem. The solutions UPS has implemented are both counterintuitive and counterproductive. We all know the real solutions of more employees working at a more reasonable pace are completely off the table as far as management is concerned. So, if they are going to implement solutions, they might as well, at the very least, not make things worse.

john chesney

People have this habit of identifying a problem and think that any solution is good, as long as you show someone that you are trying to fix the problem. The solutions UPS has implemented are both counterintuitive and counterproductive. We all know the real solutions of more employees working at a more reasonable pace are completely off the table as far as management is concerned. So, if they are going to implement solutions, they might as well, at the very least, not make things worse.
I’ve been around for 35 years why in the hell do you think I hate this place. It insults my intelligence and I’m a truck driver

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
If you pay attention you won't misload.
It is not that difficult of a job.
Load packages into a package car designed to hold them.

Simple Really

Wow friend, that is about the dumbest thing I have heard come out of a driver's mouth in the past 5 years!

Attachments

• John.gif
    John.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 216

Raw

Raw Member
I have good loaders when they load 3 cars but not good when they load 4 cars. Seems the company would rather pay the drivers $54 an hour to deliver misloads then put on more preloaders