Misload Mitigation

trickpony1

What would you say has been the largest contributor to the increase in misloads?

Maybe having supe's ragging on you about going faster;
maybe a belt, boxline going too fast;
maybe egress problems;
maybe inadequate lighting or
maybe changing preloaders from their assigned area to unknown area(s)?

Just a wild guess....

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Maybe having supe's ragging on you about going faster;
maybe a belt, boxline going too fast;
maybe egress problems;
maybe inadequate lighting or
maybe changing preloaders from their assigned area to unknown area(s)?

Just a wild guess....

I was asking @PT Car Washer specifically because he said that when they read the shipping labels they almost never got misloads. So is the reason for increased misloads the fact that they load by spa label rather than shipping label? Or is it because the expectations have increased and reading each individual shipping label is no longer realistic?

I get all of the reasons you bring up. As I stated previously, slowing down or hiring more employees don't seem to be an option, as far as management is concerned. I'm just trying to see if there are any practicable solutions out there, given the limitations of the system.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I heard maybe on a different thread of different delivery areas several miles away on the same preload assignment.
Don't do that.
compact each delivery area and try to keep a theme going so loading all 3/4 does not give you mental whiplash when thinking about location or the standard size of boxes going in.

You can add an extra letter to some load ID that might look the same as another. We do Ts Xs and Es like 15T 6X or 3E.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
PAS/EDD seems like it increased Missloads to me. Under the old system, the Preloader had three cars and loaded using street charts. After a while, they memorized their loads and seldom had to look at the charts. My Preloader only put two Missloads on my car one year. If the street was misspelled she would stack it behind my car so I could look at it. Now they think technology speeds things up, so they add another car. Throw in bad slaps where the wrong SPA label is put on the package adds to the problem. The loads change everyday so the Preloader doesn't learn the car. The more complicated you make a process increases the chances of failure. The technical aspects sound fine under perfect working conditions but that doesn't happen and never will.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Obviously I have no control over HR issues. Loaders get more hours than I do. Stating problems doesnt fix anything. Im doing the best I can with what I have to work with
They set you up to fail from day one here... you can only do what you can do... I’ve been here 25+ years and see it everyday...there is a major issue with staffing and people above you who make much more money are dropping the ball and you get stuck cleaning up the mess... I have seen some very capable pt sups who were more suited for a full time manager position than the people who held that title...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
PAS/EDD seems like it increased Missloads to me. Under the old system, the Preloader had three cars and loaded using street charts. After a while, they memorized their loads and seldom had to look at the charts. My Preloader only put two Missloads on my car one year. If the street was misspelled she would stack it behind my car so I could look at it. Now they think technology speeds things up, so they add another car. Throw in bad slaps where the wrong SPA label is put on the package adds to the problem. The loads change everyday so the Preloader doesn't learn the car. The more complicated you make a process increases the chances of failure. The technical aspects sound fine under perfect working conditions but that doesn't happen and never will.
They knew the system wasn’t perfect but they tried to use the bait and switch method and came down hard on the folks loading the cars...our building went from a few misleads a day to on a bad day a couple hundred.... there is a big disconnect between upper level mgt and the local centers...they just want the technology to work no matter how Mediocre it actually is...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It's actually 20 but they tell you 18 so you will not go over.

Flex Supervisor = worst job ever at UPS, I kid you not...
Worse than a center manager... ??? I see a day when a center manager position will be run by two oms positions...you can go work at amazon and make twice the amount of money and actually maybe be able to make a operating decision...

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Knowing the area generally means the misloads can be very close too.
A driver has mentioned on my bad day of 2 misloads that one was loaded such that it was just across the main street from him when it was discovered, 2 minutes away.
The other one was 3 miles away. oops.

PT Car Washer

Worse than a center manager... ??? I see a day when a center manager position will be run by two oms positions...you can go work at amazon and make twice the amount of money and actually maybe be able to make a operating decision...
Already happening in my building for the last 10 years. OMS run the whole show while the center manager is on a conference call. Our best days are when management is on vacation.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Actually, I like my job as a Center Manager.

You sure know alot about amazon, pm me with the details.

I will agree that we move people around too much. Our two best loaders have the same routes every day. They always know what's coming. Unfortunately with manning issues and unreliable people we are forced to move people around to pick up the slack. And heaven :censored2:ing forbid if we help out. I don't give a :censored2: about trying to take someone's hours. There's no way to develop a team environment when everyone is pitted against each other. And that goes both ways management vs union and the other way around

watdaflock?

When things get really heavy, higher cognitive functions get bogged down so it's easier for numbers and letter combinations to jumble in your brain. .

This. If PAL labels are similar, it'll lead to misloads. If they begin with the same letter or end in the same number, of course that leads to misloads when things heat up and preload is hustling.

Our sup is funny and names PALs in groups. If you load three cars, you'll get-
texas
walker
ranger

I've even seen-
goose
maverick
iceman

Being in Ohio, we'll even get NFL and Buckeye players/coaches, too.

Kosar
Brown
Otto

Urb
Coop
Tress

Get rid of the random numbers and letters, the misloads will go down, guaranteed.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

This. If PAL labels are similar, it'll lead to misloads. If they begin with the same letter or end in the same number, of course that leads to misloads when things heat up and preload is hustling.

Our sup is funny and names PALs in groups. If you load three cars, you'll get-
texas
walker
ranger

I've even seen-
goose
maverick
iceman

Being in Ohio, we'll even get NFL and Buckeye players/coaches, too.

Kosar
Brown
Otto

Urb
Coop
Tress

Get rid of the random numbers and letters, the misloads will go down, guaranteed.
Who wants misloads to go down? I can make a $100 a day just driving around picking up and delivering misloads.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I'm pretty sure this is going to be a waste of time as this place seems to be full of keyboard warriors, however, Im looking to see if anyone has any tips or tricks, aside from working the belt methods, to prevent misloads.
try and go back through your car if you get time, write on boxes, organize your packages before you go in.