Misload Mitigation

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This. If PAL labels are similar, it'll lead to misloads. If they begin with the same letter or end in the same number, of course that leads to misloads when things heat up and preload is hustling.

Our sup is funny and names PALs in groups. If you load three cars, you'll get-
texas
walker
ranger

I've even seen-
goose
maverick
iceman

Being in Ohio, we'll even get NFL and Buckeye players/coaches, too.

Kosar
Brown
Otto

Urb
Coop
Tress

Get rid of the random numbers and letters, the misloads will go down, guaranteed.

Sounds like your sup has the right idea, whether that's intentional, being funny or both. I'd say 70% of my misloads are in bulk stops in the rear door and floor load areas. When you get 20 rdc's in a row, you tend to lock in and focus on the rdc part and ignore the route part, especially if the packages look similar. Anything that can be done to help a preloader diatinguish between routes more easily will decrease the likelihood of a misload.

Neutral

This sounds trivial, but most folks won't actively do it: Whenever you're about to put a package on the shelf or on the floor, have a glance at the PAL labels in your immediate view. If it doesn't match what you're holding your head will letcha know.

It's hard for anybody who wasn't a preloader to understand. But when the flow gets very heavy, and your back is to your trucks, it's not difficult to lose track of where you're standing and walk into the wrong truck.

If your management team hasn't put route name signs up above the bulkhead door of every truck that you can see going in, they really should. Can miss the route names/load sheets on the outside of the trucks as you're making the motion to turn from the belt to the truck.

I also had to occasionally prevent neighboring loaders from accidentally walking into my first or last trucks. This was solved by putting a large package or item at either end of my set. One that wouldn't block the belt catwalk, but would signal to my neighbor that they'd walked too far.
All good ideas and this was clearly written by someone who has actually done the job. It is easy to lose track when the flow is heavy and lately with the push to go faster and faster the belt is non stop heavy. Not to mention all of the "help" from supervisors. I think most preloaders are trying to pay attention and put bulk stops together but it gets very difficult to not misload much less even load a good truck that you can walk away proud of. Why is it important to have a loading time of less than 3 hours and be done but there are dangerous stacks everywhere falling down outside the truck then "help" is sent to just toss everything in. In what world is this a good idea?

Neutral

Sounds like he needs something to help him focus...
I have music in one ear and listen for important things with the other. The music helps me focus and ignore the negative things going on around me. I look at the package as I go in the truck and the boxes around the area where I am loading the package. It does get very difficult when it gets very heavy and packages seem to be flying.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Actually, I like my job as a Center Manager.

You sure know alot about amazon, pm me with the details.
Maybe you should pm me about it.... I’m sure you know more than me since so many of your “partners” have jumped ship to go here....many in the nw district as you already probably know...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This. If PAL labels are similar, it'll lead to misloads. If they begin with the same letter or end in the same number, of course that leads to misloads when things heat up and preload is hustling.

Our sup is funny and names PALs in groups. If you load three cars, you'll get-
texas
walker
ranger

I've even seen-
goose
maverick
iceman

Being in Ohio, we'll even get NFL and Buckeye players/coaches, too.

Kosar
Brown
Otto

Urb
Coop
Tress

Get rid of the random numbers and letters, the misloads will go down, guaranteed.
Stop trying to make sense....you know it’s half asses backwards at this joint!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I will agree that we move people around too much. Our two best loaders have the same routes every day. They always know what's coming. Unfortunately with manning issues and unreliable people we are forced to move people around to pick up the slack. And heaven :censored2:ing forbid if we help out. I don't give a :censored2: about trying to take someone's hours. There's no way to develop a team environment when everyone is pitted against each other. And that goes both ways management vs union and the other way around
Most of what you said is the problem of upper mgt, most of who you will never see...unfortunately @Dragon has almost zero decision making ability in the new ups as a center manager so a pt sup has absolutely none... but I would bet the bank that you have more job security than a 20 year center manager also...

Ok, ill talk with my center. I do like the idea of names. The Walker Texas Ranger idea seems harder to mis-ID when getting with bulk and jams. Better than having 3 cars 111,113,117

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I notice that every morning at the driver PCM.

As have I-------I look around and am worried about our future.

Overuse of EC is a huge problem in our center-----our on car promotes it and a few of our younger drivers oblige. The problem arises when the bid driver has to come back and not only clean up the mess but try to explain to the customer(s) why they didn't get their package(s).

As have I-------I look around and am worried about our future.

Overuse of EC is a huge problem in our center-----our on car promotes it and a few of our younger drivers oblige. The problem arises when the bid driver has to come back and not only clean up the mess but try to explain to the customer(s) why they didn't get their package(s).
Forgive my "newness" EC??

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Not sure why we need technology to prevent this.
Paying attention is free.

There is a limit to the amount of information a person can process in a set amount of time. UPS seems to have a problem understanding that. Focus on hundreds of methods, remember a constantly progressing string of digits 30 to 40 long (addresses and HINs) all day, all while dodging idiot drivers. Might as well instruct us to breath under water, or fly to our next stop.