Misload Mitigation

dudebro

I wish they would test giving preload more time to do thejob. The technology is there

We did that once. In the early to mid 90s, when there was no focus on production standards for a couple of years, just quality. We eliminated most of the part time management, and the ones we kept were called "coaches". They were instructed not to intervene in any hourly work, just be available for advice and training, if someone had a question on how to do his or her job. It was a rickyb dreamland.

Quality was still terrible, because the fact is, most people who have a job don't really care about it. Most people come in, planning to do the bare minimum to keep from getting fired, if that. It wouldn't matter if the wage was 10 or 25 an hour. It wouldn't matter if their dispatch was 500 or 1000 pieces on a preload.

Give most people more time to load and they won't double check their load. For the most part, they'll call their girlfriend on their cell phone, go to the bathroom for 40 minutes, chat up the clerk about the Eagles game, or anything else.

When did we stop that quality movement and place the focus back on productivity? August 31, 1997, when despite the lack of management focus on production standards anywhere, the Teamsters still went on strike.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Sure - how much does an RFID chip cost? Where are the readers? The packages are broadcasting constantly, so how do the readers in a car know when they're reading a package on the 7999 position of car A or the 5999 position of car B one slot over - which, in absolute terms, are possibly less than a foot apart?

If you think we don't test those things, you're wrong. But technology hasn't reached a reliably workable solution with RFID yet. Sounds great. Doesn't execute well.
He was talking about a signature per car rather than shelf #. Which would be a whole different ball game.
Either way I would love the opposite of your system: automatically update edd when I place a package on a different shelf, eff dispatch.

dudebro

He was talking about a signature per car rather than shelf #. Which would be a whole different ball game.
Either way I would love the opposite of your system: automatically update edd when I place a package on a different shelf, eff dispatch.
So, update EDD when you place a package anywhere, regardless of where it's actually planned to go? Sounds like it would work great. "Hey folks, just put the package anywhere! The system will just somehow know where you put them and tell the driver! 3 drivers might go to the same house, but that's OK!"

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
We did that once. In the early to mid 90s, when there was no focus on production standards for a couple of years, just quality. We eliminated most of the part time management, and the ones we kept were called "coaches". They were instructed not to intervene in any hourly work, just be available for advice and training, if someone had a question on how to do his or her job. It was a rickyb dreamland.

Quality was still terrible, because the fact is, most people who have a job don't really care about it. Most people come in, planning to do the bare minimum to keep from getting fired, if that. It wouldn't matter if the wage was 10 or 25 an hour. It wouldn't matter if their dispatch was 500 or 1000 pieces on a preload.

Give most people more time to load and they won't double check their load. For the most part, they'll call their girlfriend on their cell phone, go to the bathroom for 40 minutes, chat up the clerk about the Eagles game, or anything else.

When did we stop that quality movement and place the focus back on productivity? August 31, 1997, when despite the lack of management focus on production standards anywhere, the Teamsters still went on strike.
This is unfortunately true based on what I saw last saturday
Half of everybody (including long time employees) would pull out their phones and sit around, chat with supervisors.
I was shoving all of my packages on the top shelf as close together in the meantime. No need to walk all the way back for package 5980 when you have space for it to sit halfway down the length of the asile: plus cramming=less falling packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is unfortunately true based on what I saw last saturday
Half of everybody (including long time employees) would pull out their phones and sit around, chat with supervisors.
I was shoving all of my packages on the top shelf as close together in the meantime. No need to walk all the way back for package 5980 when you have space for it to sit halfway down the length of the asile: plus cramming=less falling packages.

Aren’t you loading Saturday’s based on Monday’s plan? If so, you are creating more work by compressing the load.

Poop Head

Judge me.

There's gotta be a happy medium.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Sure - how much does an RFID chip cost? Where are the readers? The packages are broadcasting constantly, so how do the readers in a car know when they're reading a package on the 7999 position of car A or the 5999 position of car B one slot over - which, in absolute terms, are possibly less than a foot apart?

If you think we don't test those things, you're wrong. But technology hasn't reached a reliably workable solution with RFID yet. Sounds great. Doesn't execute well.

RFID chips don't emit anything on their own, no power. The sensors emit a field that excites the chips that then cause the chip to emit their ID code. You could place an array of sensors in the package car that could detect the relative position of each package and supply that information to a tablet used by a supervisor to find misloads. But you could also have an indicator light or buzzer that would alert the loader to the presence of a misload as they load it.

Drawbacks: No clue on cost, and it would still require spa labels being applied to the correct packages. I was just spit balling an idea off the top of my head, not demanding it be put into practice. I think it has better potential than loaders using scanners or crayons. Both those things add to the amount of time it takes to load a package, which is utterly counterproductive as neither guarantees much improvement in number of misloads. It's all still down to the loader and the pace of the flow.

dudebro

When I went to driving school back in the early 90's there was talk then of integrating RFID chips in to the shipping label.
It's not like we don't know about them. We're DYING to use them. But the cost / efficacy just isn't there yet. Drivers complain about stuff we deploy that works in the lab and has issues in the field. Imagine if we deployed stuff that doesn't even work the way we want it to in the lab...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's not like we don't know about them. We're DYING to use them. But the cost / efficacy just isn't there yet. Drivers complain about stuff we deploy that works in the lab and has issues in the field. Imagine if we deployed stuff that doesn't even work the way we want it to in the lab...

Inkjet RFID labels can cost as little as a penny apiece.