Misloads and The Policy

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree that misloads are an issue due to poor managment, but not due to chasing some number.... They are due to a failure to audit, follow up, and hold all involved accountable.

Incorrect.

Misloads are entirely due to managements obsession with PPH and SPC. They arent just chasing a number, they are chasing it right off the edge of a cliff.

Eliminate routes.... force the volume into whatever adjacent cars it can be contained in.....and get the preloader off of the clock whether he has "wrapped up" or not. PPH and SPC. PPH and SPC. PPH and SPC. Those two numbers are the new and only definition of success or failure at UPS and everything else (service, safety, honesty) is just a bunch of buzz words that get regurgitated at the PCM. That is the reality that we face in the trenches.

soberups

The pension is not being "given" to me--it will be earned after 30 years of putting up with people such as yourself.

You did indeed earn it....but only because the "joe unions" who came before you negotiated the labor agreement that allowed you to earn it instead of sitting at home while a non-union employee did your work instead.

soberups

As far as misloads go, yes, I would much prefer that an hourly shuttle them, but do you think the customer should have to wait an extra day if there are none available?

If there truly are "none available" then a supervisor should indeed go ahead and make service on them, but then the most senior laid-off hourly who should have been available needs to be paid for the time that the supervisor spent doing work that the hourly was contractually entitled to. All that is required is a simple payroll adjustment, with notification to the Local and the hourly involved. It doesnt have to be an either/or deal, and it doesnt have to involve a grievance.

If we carry your logic to its ultimate conclusion, then the company ought to be free to hire an unlimited number of $10-an-hour "supervisors" who spend 11 hours a day in a package car delivering entire routes full of packages that were oh-so-conveniently "misloaded" while the union employees who ought to be working and making pension contributions into the fund that you benefit from are sitting at home on layoff.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If I had said what sober said, which I basically did, I would have Up-Yours slamming me and Dragon telling me to get back to work. Oh, yeah. That did happen. It must be easier for the boys to slam a girl whom they dismiss as a bimbo, than a man. Talk about being a sexist pig!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I had said what sober said, which I basically did, I would have Up-Yours slamming me and Dragon telling me to get back to work. Oh, yeah. That did happen. It must be easier for the boys to slam a girl whom they dismiss as a bimbo, than a man. Talk about being a sexist pig!

To be blunt, the difference here is that I respect Sober.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If there truly are "none available" then a supervisor should indeed go ahead and make service on them, but then the most senior laid-off hourly who should have been available needs to be paid for the time that the supervisor spent doing work that the hourly was contractually entitled to. All that is required is a simple payroll adjustment, with notification to the Local and the hourly involved. It doesnt have to be an either/or deal, and it doesnt have to involve a grievance.

If we carry your logic to its ultimate conclusion, then the company ought to be free to hire an unlimited number of $10-an-hour "supervisors" who spend 11 hours a day in a package car delivering entire routes full of packages that were oh-so-conveniently "misloaded" while the union employees who ought to be working and making pension contributions into the fund that you benefit from are sitting at home on layoff.

Sober, the only layoffs we have among the drivers are VLO's or what we call "dead days" here. I am not as familiar with the PTers but I don't believe we have very many, if any, layoffs there as well. Basically everyone is working.

We have two Article 22.3 employees. One is about a year away from retiring and will work only his shift. The other has much longer to go and is always just a phone call away and gets more OT than I do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To be blunt here, you are a male chauvinist pig.

This is where you are wrong---I respect Tooner, aj, fethrs, dillweed and hubrat. I respect Tooner and aj for all that they have been through and what they deal with on a daily basis. I respect dillweed for her compassion and hubrat for her no-holds barred approach. I respect fethrs for all that she brings to the table.

I simply don't respect you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I truly hope you go back to work soon, you really need something to do.
I would love to be able to come back to work. Do you think I enjoy having a neurosurgeon cut me open every year for herniated discs in my neck and carpal tunnel surgery? Do you think I enjoy having c5-c6 discectomy with plating and fusing, just to find out that it came with some crackheads bone in my neck? Do you think I enjoy finding out that an MRI taken in Aug of 2010 revealed that the fuse didn't fuse and no one saw it til a month ago? Do you think I enjoy the loss of function in my hands because the carpal tunnel the test showed I have is actually from a disc pushing on my spinal cord, so the two surgeries I had for my hands werent necessary, and that's why I have lost so much of my motion? Do you think I enjoy the pain I have to endure every minute of every day for the rest of life, pain so bad you can't think straight at times and their is NOTHING they can do about it? Do you think I enjoy the fact that I have another neurosurgeon who wants to cut me open to fix what should have been a fix in the first place? Do you think I enjoy the prospect of possibly being paralyzed as a result of all this bull****? Do you think I enjoy having a smartass like you telling me get back to work, when there is nothing I want more? Do you think I enjoy living on the pitance that Liberty Mutual is constantly trying to pay me and I have to take them/UPS to court every other month to get back what is mine? If I were as cruel as a few of the posters on here, I would wish this on you. But, I'm not like them. I don't pretend to benice in PM's to get details of your private life just to turn around and be the a-hole I always knew you were. I'm not that skank. Others are.
Have a great day at work, Dragon.

soberups

Sober, the only layoffs we have among the drivers are VLO's or what we call "dead days" here. I am not as familiar with the PTers but I don't believe we have very many, if any, layoffs there as well. Basically everyone is working.

We have two Article 22.3 employees. One is about a year away from retiring and will work only his shift. The other has much longer to go and is always just a phone call away and gets more OT than I do.

None of that changes the fact that the contract...the same contract that will be giving you that pension when you reach 30 years....specifically prohibits management people from doing our work except in cases of emergency.

Christmas isnt an emergency. Misloads arent an emergency. When management intentionally creates the conditions that cause the misloads in the first place (ridiculous obsession with PPH and SPC, deliberate understaffing, overcrowding facilities etc.) we cannot allow them to turn around and use their poor choices as a justification for violating the contract and doing our work. Once they get their foot wedged into that particular door, we will never get it closed and they will keep on pushing it open a little further each time.

I share your concern for servicing the customer; but the solution is to do the job right in the first place instead of perpetuating the problem by giving management a free pass on doing our work. They have no motivation to solve the underlying problems if they can continually sweep thse problems under the rug by having one of their own make service on the misloads for free.

UPS Lifer

So sober ... what do you consider an emergency? I have had enough conversations with you to assure myself that you are no dummy BUT your posts here assume that all misloads are because management is the root cause of the problem. However we both know people make mistakes (management and non-management). I happen to think that there are always solutions that don't necessarily involve management working. I never was a fan of my supervisors doing YOUR job. If they were doing YOUR job they weren't doing their job!!

I promise you that you could slow the operation down - add preloaders and drivers and STILL have misloads as well as other quality issues. !!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
What you said...
Do you think I enjoy having a smartass like you telling me get back to work, when there is nothing I want more?

what i said
I truly hope you go back to work soon, you really need something to do.

Step away from the keyboard...now read it again. Do you get it?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I get the fact that I would love nothing more than to go back to work. Do you get that? How about calling regional management and telling them to give this poor girl something before she goes nuts, as she can't take anymore. How about calling Liberty and telling them to stop being dikks? How about that? How about calling Scott and telling him we have valuable employees we are treating like crap? I know. Why not come to Syracuse on the 14th to one more comp court where I have to force UPS/Liberty to pay me back money(close to $8000) and tell the Judge UPS has a position for me? I'm stepping away from the keyboard to give you a chance to respond. I admit I have a huge chip on my shoulder right now, and the stress I am under is affecting how and what I say. I am not handling things well. So, I apologize for snapping on you, but I want so much to go back to work. I just want back my life. The life I had earned. I wirked my ass of for what I had. As I said, I don't wish what I am going through on anyone.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you can come in and answer the phone for me and give the snappy answers that you do here. When can you start!! :happy-very:

Thank you for that!! I can start right now!! I will jump ugly whenever you want, on whomever you want!! I am sorry for jumping ugly on you. This comp crap is REALLY getting to me. Thanks, Dragon.
I have a lovely phone voice, ya know!! :winks: