Money and moving up in UPS.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I don't claim to know what they all make. The pay of a sup including MIP is slightly better than a drivers in most cases . The benefits cost and pension contributions are less than that of a driver.

New sups have a lower pension contribution and lower pay than more senior sups.

It doesn't take much science to figure out the pension contributions. In some area drivers retire and make more than when they were working. Some contracts have the contribution figure listed. A 30 year sup is lucky to get half his pay in pension. Benefit costs to management is well known. They pay more than a union employee to get the same benefits.

UPSSOCKS

I did but that was 30+ years ago.
Averaged 54+ hours per week as a driver ... division manager said I would not be getting 54/week anymore (to make my decision easier).

Yes I understand the overtime thing.... But you had to work overtime. No driver makes more than mangement working 40 hours a week, end of story....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes I understand the overtime thing.... But you had to work overtime. No driver makes more than mangement working 40 hours a week, end of story....
I know this old man in feeders who's around 96 years old and works 80 hours a week. He makes more than FT supervisors SO IT MUST BE TRUE drivers make more than sups!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

My W-2 the first year in management was less than my last year as a driver ... that's a pay cut in my eyes ...
And no mgt person works 40 hours per week, end of story ... nor too many drivers I imagine.

Better response would have been to bring into play the 1/2 month and MIP and 401k match. Just trying to help you out. :wink2:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

It's only the end of the story because you changed the story. Virtually no drivers work 40 hr weeks. The example I used was a full time top rate driver working a typical 45 hour week compared to a relatively new sup. I said compensation, not just pay. Besides that, there are sups that are hired off the street that make a lot less than typical full time hourly person promoted to full time management. You clearly are uninformed.

UPSSOCKS

It's only the end of the story because you changed the story. Virtually no drivers work 40 hr weeks. The example I used was a full time top rate driver working a typical 45 hour week compared to a relatively new sup. I said compensation, not just pay. Besides that, there are sups that are hired off the street that make a lot less than typical full time hourly person promoted to full time management. You clearly are uninformed.

A top rate driver working 45 hours a week doesn't make more than a full time sup. Add everything up and the full time sups is higher 9 times out of 10. You are uninformed...

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
A top rate driver working 45 hours a week doesn't make more than a full time sup. Add everything up and the full time sups is higher 9 times out of 10. You are uninformed...

I agree that the pay of the sup may be higher.
Full time sup approximately $87k per year including 2.0 mip and half month bonus at 6K monthly salary.
Driver at top rate approximately $74k at 45 hours per week

The difference in compensation is the pension and benefit expense. If you adjust for the difference in the drivers benefits and pension the overall compensation is pretty close.

Keep in mind it takes 6 years to get the full benefit of MIP, benefits are being reduced each year and new sups have no traditional pension.

There is no doubt that a drivers pension and benefit package is better than what a sup gets without supplementing it with their own pay, thus reducing their pay in order to obtain equal benefits and pension. The question is how much is the difference worth.

If you don't know the pension and benefit value or cost you can't make a reasonable judgment on overall compensation.