More UpClose RLA Video Lies from FedEx

bbsam

Staff member
Just curious. Is there a container lift and ballmat at your sort facility? And are you familiar with the Ground trailers I'm talking about? This has been Fred's plan for a long time. You and I just disagree on whether he can pull it off or not.
Not that I am aware of. But our facility which seemed huge 7 years ago when it opened is now in need of expansion and was built in such a way as to be easily expanded. I do not know what a container lift and a ball mat are, but I would be willing to bet that they could be implemented in the course of two or three days. And oh yeah, our terminal is right across from the airport.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not that I am aware of. But our facility which seemed huge 7 years ago when it opened is now in need of expansion and was built in such a way as to be easily expanded. I do not know what a container lift and a ball mat are, but I would be willing to bet that they could be implemented in the course of two or three days. And oh yeah, our terminal is right across from the airport.

A container lift is basically an elevator platform equipped with a caster deck or ballmat so aircraft containers (or pallets) can be rolled from a truck into the sort facility. The ballmat (or caster deck) is a special floor with "rollers" or "wheels' that allows aircraft containers to be moved around the facility by being pushed or pulled. The trailers I'm talking about are 53 feet long, marked with the Ground logo, and have fixed rollers in the floor that don't allow them to be used for bulk-loaded freight. In other words, they are designed solely for moving aircraft containers.

bbsam

Staff member
A container lift is basically an elevator platform equipped with a caster deck or ballmat so aircraft containers (or pallets) can be rolled from a truck into the sort facility. The ballmat (or caster deck) is a special floor with "rollers" or "wheels' that allows aircraft containers to be moved around the facility by being pushed or pulled. The trailers I'm talking about are 53 feet long, marked with the Ground logo, and have fixed rollers in the floor that don't allow them to be used for bulk-loaded freight. In other words, they are designed solely for moving aircraft containers.
Haven't seen them, but at any given time there are probably 30 trailers parked around the terminal so who's to say what's inside any one of them. Is it possible that the trailers you saw before were being retrofitted to be ground trailers i.e. removing the caster deck or using it to move Smart Post for the post office?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Haven't seen them, but at any given time there are probably 30 trailers parked around the terminal so who's to say what's inside any one of them. Is it possible that the trailers you saw before were being retrofitted to be ground trailers i.e. removing the caster deck or using it to move Smart Post for the post office?

These trailers were all brand-new and purpose-built to haul containers.

vantexan

I don't need to. I just call it like I see it.

Apparently you don't do sarcasm. Oh well, I'll just stick to pointing out how you resemble management in your writing. And please, stop with the stuff about how you can't be critical, etc without being attacked. You can write whatever you want within the rules of this forum. And we can too.

I am curious. Do you think supporting the company will have an influence on a possible future union vote? I wonder if there are more UPS employees than FedEX employees reading this? Heck there might be more in FedEx mgmt reading this than FedEx employees. I only sound off here because I want them to know what they've done to me. I doubt seriously that it has any impact on anything but if it causes a mgr to have steam coming out of his ears that's fine by me. They don't deserve a free pass for what they are doing. They hold the cards, can't do anything about that. But if ever I lose my job over typing this on a forum they better believe it'll get 100 times worse before I'm done.

bbsam

Staff member
These trailers were all brand-new and purpose-built to haul containers.
Doesn't the post office use those kinds of containers? If so, I think Smart Post would have been the culprit. It is moved by ground trailers and if that works best with the post office system, it would make since. Also would provide cover for Ground to move Air freight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Doesn't the post office use those kinds of containers? If so, I think Smart Post would have been the culprit. It is moved by ground trailers and if that works best with the post office system, it would make since. Also would provide cover for Ground to move Air freight.

Nope. These are for FedEx containers. The types of containers used by the USPS wouldn't work with their set-up. They are obviously intended to move the Express product.

FedEx All the Way!

I was at the ramp yesterday, and I happened to see UpClose (the ramp version of Frontline) for the month of April. Over half the video is devoted to the RLA, and quite predictably, it's a big effing lie. Here's how Mike Piggors of AGFS "presented" the issue.

1. The proposed RLA changes are a joint UPS/Teamster "competitive tactic" designed to "disrupt the FedEx business model." If this Commie plot succeeds, "Quality of Sevice" and "Customer Peace of Mind" will be disrupted. To this I say, TOO BAD!! When you treat your employees like dirt you can expect to have some of it come-off on you Mikey. I'd buy some Clorox if I were you.

2. "The RLA changes will be bad for FedEx employees, the US economy, and customers". Care to explain that one a bit more fully, Mike? I can see how some customers might be upset, but UPS and other carriers will pick-up the slack (and the revenue stream). Golly, Mike, I'd sure hate to have a pension, a raise, and a legitimate grievance process. I'd also like to know that if I get hurt or sick that I won't lose my job after 90 days.

3. "We will lose customers permanently to UPS, just as they did after the 1997 strike". Another lie. Many UPS customers have returned, especially those that have experienced the "superior" service from FedEx Ground. UPS provides superior service because they attract superior employees. End of story. By the way, Mike says that UPS Next Day Air is inferior to FedEx Priority Overnight and that the end of the RLA scam will detract from FedEx service. How? And their service levels for NDA are just as good as ours.

4. "If UPS and the Teamsters want this so badly, how can it be good for you (the FedEx employee)?". Gee, Mike, where do I start on that one? The real reason FedEx doesn't want the RLA changed is simple. As long as the exemption stays in place, FedEx is guaranteed NOT to have a union. Without getting complicated, having right-to-work states and Republican-controlled states means that FedEx could never go union. Fred knows this. So does Mike. They don't want you to figure it out. If we can go union on a local basis, it's all over for the 20-year topouts, tiny raises, and pretend pension plans and they know that plenty of locations would vote for the Teamsters. If you live in a conservative area that is anti-union and your fellow workers feel the same way, well, you can stay poor and ignorant as long as you'd like to. Bottom line, Fred wants to continue to screw you and have you not be able to say anything.

More huge lies from the WalMart of delivery (not airline) companies. Hey Mike, you suck too.

A Special Delivery

Special interest handouts are not a pretty sight. Perhaps that is why lawmakers buried their latest one inside the bill reauthorizing the Federal Aviation Administration. Unfortunately putting handouts out of sight does not make them any better for the economy.
At issue is the fierce competition between FedEx and the United Parcel Service (UPS) in the package delivery business. While UPS must collectively bargain with the Teamsters, FedEx remains union free.
FedEx has avoided the costs of collective bargaining primarily by keeping its employees satisfied without union representation. Fortune magazine routinely recognizes the company as one of the best 100 companies to work for. When the recession forced FedEx to cut costs it started with executive salaries before cutting hourly pay – including a 20 percent reduction in CEO Fred S’s pay.
Federal law has also helped FedEx stay nonunion. The Railway Labor Act (RLA) – the law regulating unions in the airline and railway industries – covers FedEx because the company began as an airline and ships most of its packages by air. UPS – a trucking company – falls under the National Labor Relations Act, which covers unions in the rest of the private sector.
Under the Railway Labor Act (unlike the NLRA) every worker in the company votes on organizing in one national ballot. At a company where most workers like their jobs such a vote presents Teamsters organizers with a daunting task. They would have an easier time selectively organizing key transportation hubs. Then they could use the leverage of shutting down the national company to promise workers at those hubs excessive concessions. Under the RLA they cannot do that. So as long as FedEx workers like their jobs and FedEx remains under the RLA the company will likely remain nonunion.
That gives FedEx a competitive advantage. The 1997 Teamsters strike paralyzed UPS, and UPS recently had to pay $6.1 billion to withdraw its employees from the Teamster’s poorly managed pension plan. UPS wants the Teamsters to start similarly burdening FedEx.
The Teamsters and UPS are jointly lobbying Congress to transfer jurisdiction over FedEx to the NLRA to make unionizing FedEx employees easier. The Teamsters want more dues-paying members to shore up their shaky finances. UPS wants the Teamsters to raise their competitor’s costs. Lost in the middle of the lobbying blitz is the health of the economy.
Saddling FedEx with union work rules and collective bargaining would raise their costs, forcing them to raise prices. Americans will have to pay more to ship parcels, leaving less money to spend elsewhere. And if the Teamsters did strike against FedEx hubs it could paralyze package delivery for millions of small businesses – the two week UPS strike in 1997 cost the economy billions of dollars. Making businesses less competitive is bad policy in normal economic times, much less in a severe recession.
However, Organized Labor is no ordinary interest group. Labor unions spent hundreds of millions of dollars electing President Obama and the current Congressional majority and they want payback. They have been getting it. Consider that Congress and the administration have already:
· Bailed out unionized GM and Chrysler;
· Bailed out the pensions of union workers at GM subsidiaries, but not nonunion workers;
· Repealed union financial transparency regulations;
· Required federal construction contractors to sign collective bargaining agreements;
Unionization opportunities already exist at FedEx, but not the ones that the Teamsters like. So it is small wonder that Congress is happy to re-write the labor code at the Teamster’s behest. The House of Representatives has passed a version of the FAA reauthorization that transfers FedEx to the NLRA and the Senate will soon decide whether to follow suit. Let it not be said that Obama ignores his friends.:peaceful:

Last edited:

FedExer267

wow that article is a little off. If I remember correctly didnt they take a 20% wage reduction to make the employees happy after freezing wages and taking away traditional pension. I bet the big wigs all have a traditional pension and great benefits. Plus a great hourly wage sorry I have to side with the drivers on this one recognize your frontlines that make you millions and you will not have to worry about them going union. Do away with the special exemptions that you have enjoyed like the RLA and the contractor scheme and take care of those who do the work that make you rich. When is rich rich enough give back and ensure your frontlines are taking care of properly and can live and say they have a career rather than living paycheck to paycheck. Twisting words around and making yourself look like the good side is crap. Karma finds everyone and I am pretty sure its coming old Freds way soon enough.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FEATW, once again, since you don't work for FedEx, your input is highly suspect at best. The article you posted is a gross misrepresentation, much in the vein of everything else you post on this site. It also has factual inaccuracies. Which Right Wing blog did you pull this off, anyway? It's "obvious" that our Kenyan, Muslim pro-union President is behind all of this awful plot. Maybe you should throw a Tea Party and protest. Your "intelligence" never ceases to amaze me.

quadro

Apparently you don't do sarcasm. Oh well, I'll just stick to pointing out how you resemble management in your writing. And please, stop with the stuff about how you can't be critical, etc without being attacked. You can write whatever you want within the rules of this forum. And we can too.

I am curious. Do you think supporting the company will have an influence on a possible future union vote? I wonder if there are more UPS employees than FedEX employees reading this? Heck there might be more in FedEx mgmt reading this than FedEx employees. I only sound off here because I want them to know what they've done to me. I doubt seriously that it has any impact on anything but if it causes a mgr to have steam coming out of his ears that's fine by me. They don't deserve a free pass for what they are doing. They hold the cards, can't do anything about that. But if ever I lose my job over typing this on a forum they better believe it'll get 100 times worse before I'm done.
And apparently you don't do humor.

My point about being attacked was that some people around here, yourself included, attack the poster rather than the facts or the argument. You did it in this post and then in the very next sentence tell me what I can and cannot post and then in the following sentence tell me I can post what I want. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, for crying out loud!

I don't think supporting the company will have an influence and I think you are right on target in terms of how many (or how few) FedEx employees actually read this. IMHO, you don't have to worry about losing your job over something posted as long as you use common sense.

quadro

FEATW, once again, since you don't work for FedEx, your input is highly suspect at best. The article you posted is a gross misrepresentation, much in the vein of everything else you post on this site. It also has factual inaccuracies. Which Right Wing blog did you pull this off, anyway? It's "obvious" that our Kenyan, Muslim pro-union President is behind all of this awful plot. Maybe you should throw a Tea Party and protest. Your "intelligence" never ceases to amaze me.
Here's the blog it was copied and pasted from http://blog.heritage.org/2010/04/26/a-special-delivery-for-ups-that-could-change-fedex-overnight/

vantexan

And apparently you don't do humor.

My point about being attacked was that some people around here, yourself included, attack the poster rather than the facts or the argument. You did it in this post and then in the very next sentence tell me what I can and cannot post and then in the following sentence tell me I can post what I want. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, for crying out loud!

I don't think supporting the company will have an influence and I think you are right on target in terms of how many (or how few) FedEx employees actually read this. IMHO, you don't have to worry about losing your job over something posted as long as you use common sense.

Where did I tell you what you can and cannot post? Because I said "And please, stop with the stuff..."? Just a expression amigo. Apparently if I disagree with you, as you do with me, I'm somehow trying to suppress your point of view?

Something occurred to me today. Let's say on the lowest payscale top-out is $25hr and we reach that after 4 years. If that were the case, would you be protesting that the company was paying us too much? You seem perfectly ok with everything they do now. If I'm only at $17.09hr after 11 years you're ok with it. If the company doesn't give a raise or only a partial raise, even while doling out millions in dividends, you're ok with it. If I'm screwed over by bad mgrs, some of whom have been fired or demoted, you gloss that over. If I spend $1300 to move to a location based on what a mgr tells me, and end up doing crap work that he knew he couldn't get people to transfer in to do, yep, you seem to be ok with that too. What does it take to get you riled up about FedEx? I'm betting you would have a problem with me and others in mid-range suddenly being topped out. You've said in the past that topped out employees do deserve more than me, even though the system as is gives them much more and will for many years to come, no matter how many years I work(and I think they deserve every penny, but where's our reward for hard work?). So pretty much you support the company's decisions right down the line(correct me if I'm wrong). How am I supposed to see you as anything but a company plant? Please show me the humor in this, I could use a laugh!

quadro

Where did I tell you what you can and cannot post? Because I said "And please, stop with the stuff..."? Just a expression amigo. Apparently if I disagree with you, as you do with me, I'm somehow trying to suppress your point of view?
"stop with the stuff" sounds pretty definitive to me. I have absolutely no problem with you disagreeing with me.

Something occurred to me today. Let's say on the lowest payscale top-out is $25hr and we reach that after 4 years. If that were the case, would you be protesting that the company was paying us too much?
No and I've given you no reason to think that. I've said it before and I'll say it again, who wouldn't want more money? I would also ask what is it going to cost me to get that extra money.
You seem perfectly ok with everything they do now. If I'm only at $17.09hr after 11 years you're ok with it.
Not necessarily. I don't know you so I don't know if you are worth $17.09 or not but I will say that it does suck for the mid-range employees. You could look at it another way. Instead of giving raises to topped out employees (i.e. raising the maximum) that money could have gone to mid-range employees and a lot more employees would be topped out already. They'd be earning less than they do now, but they'd be topped out and after all, isn't that what you want, to be topped out? Of course you don't want that, you just want about a 40% raise.
If the company doesn't give a raise or only a partial raise, even while doling out millions in dividends, you're ok with it. If I'm screwed over by bad mgrs, some of whom have been fired or demoted, you gloss that over. If I spend $1300 to move to a location based on what a mgr tells me, and end up doing crap work that he knew he couldn't get people to transfer in to do, yep, you seem to be ok with that too. What does it take to get you riled up about FedEx? I'm betting you would have a problem with me and others in mid-range suddenly being topped out. You've said in the past that topped out employees do deserve more than me, even though the system as is gives them much more and will for many years to come, no matter how many years I work(and I think they deserve every penny, but where's our reward for hard work?). So pretty much you support the company's decisions right down the line(correct me if I'm wrong). How am I supposed to see you as anything but a company plant? Please show me the humor in this, I could use a laugh!
You chose to leave FedEx and come back. You chose to move without having anything in writing. Blame FedEx all you want but those are your choices. And there you go again. Because I think that overall things are pretty good for me I must be a company plant.

vantexan

Not necessarily. I don't know you so I don't know if you are worth $17.09 or not but I will say that it does suck for the mid-range employees. You could look at it another way. Instead of giving raises to topped out employees (i.e. raising the maximum) that money could have gone to mid-range employees and a lot more employees would be topped out already. They'd be earning less than they do now, but they'd be topped out and after all, isn't that what you want, to be topped out? Of course you don't want that, you just want about a 40% raise.

***You say you don't know me but then tell me what I really want. If you check my posts both here and on Fedexaminer you'll see that I've repeatedly said that I'd be happy to top out in 10 years, and if I knew it would be 15 years I'd live with it. I even argued very strongly on Fedexaminer against voting for a union in a bad economy. But you just tipped your hand saying that they should have given us more by taking away from the topped out employees, giving them less. So in your opinion you feel that the topped out couriers should be making less than they do now, and their wages frozen? Yes, I want to top out at whatever the current top-out is. I'd be tickled to death with $23hr, but on my payscale I believe it's $21.27, still pretty good. It's critical however that we receive an annual raise that attempts to keep up with inflation. For topped out couriers that's 3% if they are given it. Do you not agree or do you feel that courier pay should be considerably lower and frozen? Are you saying we should just work to exist, to make others wealthy? Be happy that we have a job? And as prices continue to go up we will just have to deal with it?***

You chose to leave FedEx and come back. You chose to move without having anything in writing. Blame FedEx all you want but those are your choices. And there you go again. Because I think that overall things are pretty good for me I must be a company plant.

Whether I'm a rehire or not is irrelevant. They are doing this to all mid-range employees. Do you believe that managers should be subjected to the same code of ethics that couriers are, or are they above that? Do you think it's perfectly ok to tell newhires they'll top out in 7 to 8 years when they know it'll take much longer? Apparently because I didn't get it in writing you think it's ok to lie to a potential transfer on the phone. I can see why you like the company so much because apparently the ends always justify the means in your book. Does that include cheating customers to further your career? Where do you draw the line? Are you topped out? Because you think things are pretty good do you think those who make considerably less than you should feel the same way?

When I worked in Topeka I met our new district mgr once. He asked to meet me personally because he had never heard of another courier who consistantly ran his route at 150%. I used to run windsprints for this company. Once delivered 19 stops in 24 minutes in a 36 story building I had never been in in downtown Seattle, getting the last one off at 1030. I've transferred into 5 or 6 extremely heavy rts in my time, all of which were reconfigured after I transferred out because the person taking over couldn't handle it. I did handle it, and because I could they wouldn't do anything for me. Eventually it seemed my only recourse was to transfer and hope for better. I've worked like a dog for this company, and all they do is take and take, and lie and lie. At this point all I want to do is be paid enough so that I can save enough to quit at 55. I'm even eating a 98 cent can of beefaroni at lunch now to save what I would've paid for fast food. By the way, I was working in a high cost area of Colorado on the now defunct C payscale. Found out that the previous courier(I was domiciled 95 miles from the station) got the same A payscale as our station in Pueblo. I was getting the C even though the cost of living was at least 30% higher than Pueblo, which my mgr freely admitted. Finally after 4.5 years I got a raise from $13.11 to $13.50 in an area where I needed more. You know what my mgr said? "Better enjoy that raise, it's the last you'll see for a long time." I was on my own, only knew what he was telling me. If he had just said hang in there, more raises are coming soon. They discontinued the C payscale and adjusted the B so that by 1998 B employees were making $16.11hr. I quit in mid-97. I can almost hear you say "you chose to do so" but man, you don't know what I've seen over the years. I've come to believe that FedEx mgrs are like the joke about lawyers. How do you tell a lawyer is lying? His lips are moving! I'm just hanging on, don't believe it will get better for me, but I'm going to tell them they are wrong to do what they are doing. If you think it's perfectly fine what they are doing then guess you'll just have to put up with me saying otherwise.

quadro

Whether I'm a rehire or not is irrelevant. They are doing this to all mid-range employees. Do you believe that managers should be subjected to the same code of ethics that couriers are, or are they above that? Do you think it's perfectly ok to tell newhires they'll top out in 7 to 8 years when they know it'll take much longer? Apparently because I didn't get it in writing you think it's ok to lie to a potential transfer on the phone. I can see why you like the company so much because apparently the ends always justify the means in your book. Does that include cheating customers to further your career? Where do you draw the line? Are you topped out? Because you think things are pretty good do you think those who make considerably less than you should feel the same way?

When I worked in Topeka I met our new district mgr once. He asked to meet me personally because he had never heard of another courier who consistantly ran his route at 150%. I used to run windsprints for this company. Once delivered 19 stops in 24 minutes in a 36 story building I had never been in in downtown Seattle, getting the last one off at 1030. I've transferred into 5 or 6 extremely heavy rts in my time, all of which were reconfigured after I transferred out because the person taking over couldn't handle it. I did handle it, and because I could they wouldn't do anything for me. Eventually it seemed my only recourse was to transfer and hope for better. I've worked like a dog for this company, and all they do is take and take, and lie and lie. At this point all I want to do is be paid enough so that I can save enough to quit at 55. I'm even eating a 98 cent can of beefaroni at lunch now to save what I would've paid for fast food. By the way, I was working in a high cost area of Colorado on the now defunct C payscale. Found out that the previous courier(I was domiciled 95 miles from the station) got the same A payscale as our station in Pueblo. I was getting the C even though the cost of living was at least 30% higher than Pueblo, which my mgr freely admitted. Finally after 4.5 years I got a raise from $13.11 to $13.50 in an area where I needed more. You know what my mgr said? "Better enjoy that raise, it's the last you'll see for a long time." I was on my own, only knew what he was telling me. If he had just said hang in there, more raises are coming soon. They discontinued the C payscale and adjusted the B so that by 1998 B employees were making $16.11hr. I quit in mid-97. I can almost hear you say "you chose to do so" but man, you don't know what I've seen over the years. I've come to believe that FedEx mgrs are like the joke about lawyers. How do you tell a lawyer is lying? His lips are moving! I'm just hanging on, don't believe it will get better for me, but I'm going to tell them they are wrong to do what they are doing. If you think it's perfectly fine what they are doing then guess you'll just have to put up with me saying otherwise.
And you think I don't do sarcasm? Anyway, I didn't say pay should be taken away so I didn't "tip my hand".

I completely understand why in-range employees are frustrated with their pay and I do empathize with them. I can't remember what the % increases are for in-range employees but other than this year and last, I'm pretty sure that as long as you did even a half way descent job you'd get a raise that was at least equal to inflation if not more. And to be clear, yes, I realize people want more than that. I'm not saying if it was right or wrong, just pointing out that for the most part, raises did what you asked for and were right around the inflation rate.

One thing about human nature that never ceases to intrigue me is how people want things to be fair and equal for everyone, etc, etc but then they tell their story and want special treatment for themselves and forget the fair and equal stuff. Sorry to hear about your troubles but why do you deserve more than the next guy? And before you say you don't, you want everyone to get more, please realize that by telling your story and implying that you should get paid more because your personal situation makes it hard to make ends meet, you are in effect saying that everyone should get paid more because of your personal situation.

vantexan

And you think I don't do sarcasm? Anyway, I didn't say pay should be taken away so I didn't "tip my hand".

I completely understand why in-range employees are frustrated with their pay and I do empathize with them. I can't remember what the % increases are for in-range employees but other than this year and last, I'm pretty sure that as long as you did even a half way descent job you'd get a raise that was at least equal to inflation if not more. And to be clear, yes, I realize people want more than that. I'm not saying if it was right or wrong, just pointing out that for the most part, raises did what you asked for and were right around the inflation rate.

One thing about human nature that never ceases to intrigue me is how people want things to be fair and equal for everyone, etc, etc but then they tell their story and want special treatment for themselves and forget the fair and equal stuff. Sorry to hear about your troubles but why do you deserve more than the next guy? And before you say you don't, you want everyone to get more, please realize that by telling your story and implying that you should get paid more because your personal situation makes it hard to make ends meet, you are in effect saying that everyone should get paid more because of your personal situation.

No, you said that you didn't know whether I was worth $17.09hr or not. I'm just pointing out with my personal story that I was at the top in productivity in almost every station I worked at. And I'm sure there are others like me who've worked very hard with little to show for it. It's been my experience that there are those who are only willing to do so much and are rarely pushed to do more. But if you demonstrate a willingness to work very often your mgr will run you ragged. Then come review time nickel and dime you on a few things like calling in sick a couple of times or clocking in a minute late 6 or 7 times. As if that matters more than all the days off you came in to work or all the times you stayed late to help out. The system is rigged and anyone who goes the extra mile and works extra hard for this company is a chump. And I'm one of the biggest chumps out there. They don't reward hard work. I've never expected them to give me anything for nothing, have always been willing to work hard. And because they won't top me out sooner than 25 or more years, expect me to settle for less without any regard to the extra effort I've given them for many years, this is why I'll end up voting for a union. You say it's just about getting a 40% raise. No, it's about totally discounting my hard work, saying I don't deserve as much as a topped out employee, expecting me to settle for less and expecting me to just take it without complaint. There's no justification for what they are doing when they've had the money to top us out faster. And I'd gladly vote no on a union if they would just top me out.

LTFedExer

No, you said that you didn't know whether I was worth $17.09hr or not. I'm just pointing out with my personal story that I was at the top in productivity in almost every station I worked at. And I'm sure there are others like me who've worked very hard with little to show for it. It's been my experience that there are those who are only willing to do so much and are rarely pushed to do more. But if you demonstrate a willingness to work very often your mgr will run you ragged. Then come review time nickel and dime you on a few things like calling in sick a couple of times or clocking in a minute late 6 or 7 times. As if that matters more than all the days off you came in to work or all the times you stayed late to help out. The system is rigged and anyone who goes the extra mile and works extra hard for this company is a chump. And I'm one of the biggest chumps out there. They don't reward hard work. I've never expected them to give me anything for nothing, have always been willing to work hard. And because they won't top me out sooner than 25 or more years, expect me to settle for less without any regard to the extra effort I've given them for many years, this is why I'll end up voting for a union. You say it's just about getting a 40% raise. No, it's about totally discounting my hard work, saying I don't deserve as much as a topped out employee, expecting me to settle for less and expecting me to just take it without complaint. There's no justification for what they are doing when they've had the money to top us out faster. And I'd gladly vote no on a union if they would just top me out.
You are a perfect fit for the union. It's all about 'What can you do for ME?". At UPS, raises are given according to the contract.....not productivity. So you busting your butt, running your route at 150%, being on time everyday, etc would get the same raise as the guy who does 1/2 the work you do. Think that's fair? If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone from UPS will chime in.

I agree, you should top out quicker. I'm there just over 10 years and am at $19.00. So, I know exactly how you feel. But, giving the same raise to everyone, IMO, sux for the guy like you, busting his/her butt everyday. You say if you were topped out, you would vote no to the union.....bull!!! The union will dangle more money in front of you and you will jump at it.......guaranteed. Only to realize the carrot is actually an onion.