My Driver Won't Back Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpboy

My driver is a good guy, been with us for 10 years.

Last summer, we were going through a wet period. He was making three point turns in my grass and it was getting all ripped up. I asked him to not do that anymore, just back down the driveway.

It is 500 feet long though.

So now out of the blue, we are not getting packages at our door but find them sitting under a tree by the road. I just received a laptop (supposedly needing a sig) sitting in a plastic bag under the tree.

I emailed UPS and received an immediate voice response from a very friendly rep. It was explained to me that the driver is not allowed to backup more than 30' and as such has to leave them roadside since I asked that he not drive in the grass. It was suggested to me that I get a container of some sort and put it at the end of the driveway as that is what 'other people' do that are in my situation.

When the regular guy is not delivering, the sub has zero problem backing up or down the driveway, nor do any other carriers, except USPS where that guy has zero ability to drive and literally cannot backup a foot.

So UPS'ers, is this the letter of policy and my poor guy is under BS corporate screws, or is he messing with me?

Thanks y'all, love it when you show up, except it costs me money...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Regular guy is probably not wanting to risk messing up your driveway or rut up your grass. The sub is likely what we like to refer to as a runner gunner and throws safety to the wind in preference to getting done earlier. It's all good till he leaves trenches in your yard and you call in complaining.

I'd personally walk the 500 ft unless you own a dog that's in the yard. Drivers who are careful expect the unexpected, such as someone parking down at the end where he wouldn't be able to turn around, dogs running around loose, kids playing in the wood darting out, ect. Like I said I'd walk it, but I'd be in the minority here I think.

Last edited:

carpboy

I'd personally walk the 500 ft unless you own a dog that's in the yard.

Regular guy was totally cool - I asked him to not turn in the grass and he honored my wishes. But now I have stuff, valuable stuff, sitting in a bag by the road.

So is this UPS official policy? I would not be surprised if it were, to be honest.

Thanks.

Faceplanted

Regular guy was totally cool - I asked him to not turn in the grass and he honored my wishes. But now I have stuff, valuable stuff, sitting in a bag by the road.

So is this UPS official policy? I would not be surprised if it were, to be honest.

Thanks.
So you got what you asked for

And now you have a problem.

What do you want? Your fancy grass a little tore up or your stuff at the end of the driveway? One or the other

And yes, ups tracks how far we back and it's frowned upon

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Thanks.

He would show up on a report for a back that long

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Everything a driver does with his PC is recorded.
They know when a driver has been good or bad.
If you think big brother ( Gov't ) watching you is bad , you have never worked for UPS .

ManInBrown

Regular guy is probably not wanting to risk messing up your driveway or rut up your grass. The sub is likely what we like to refer to as a runner gunner and throws safety to the wind in preference to getting done earlier. It's all good till he leaves trenches in your yard and you call in complaining.

I'd personally walk the 500 ft unless you own a dog that's in the yard. Drivers who are careful expect the unexpected, such as someone parking down at the end where he wouldn't be able to turn around, dogs running around loose, kids playing in the wood darting out, ect. Like I said I'd walk it, but I'd be in the minority here I think.
This right here is your answer OP. Fill in doesn't care about tearing up your grass or being unsafe. He or she just wants to get done ASAP, so they can be dispatched to come help drivers like myself and your regular driver.

Johney

Have sent FedEx Ground who likely doesn't record driver backs. Sadly this is what technology is doing to the service part of our company. I'd be willing to bet that if said driver wasn't hit on a backing report he'd back right up the driveway slow and leave it at the door. United Parcel.

KOG72

I’m full of it
My driver is a good guy, been with us for 10 years.

Last summer, we were going through a wet period. He was making three point turns in my grass and it was getting all ripped up. I asked him to not do that anymore, just back down the driveway.

It is 500 feet long though.

So now out of the blue, we are not getting packages at our door but find them sitting under a tree by the road. I just received a laptop (supposedly needing a sig) sitting in a plastic bag under the tree.

I emailed UPS and received an immediate voice response from a very friendly rep. It was explained to me that the driver is not allowed to backup more than 30' and as such has to leave them roadside since I asked that he not drive in the grass. It was suggested to me that I get a container of some sort and put it at the end of the driveway as that is what 'other people' do that are in my situation.

When the regular guy is not delivering, the sub has zero problem backing up or down the driveway, nor do any other carriers, except USPS where that guy has zero ability to drive and literally cannot backup a foot.

So UPS'ers, is this the letter of policy and my poor guy is under BS corporate screws, or is he messing with me?

Thanks y'all, love it when you show up, except it costs me money...
What's the saying.....your damned if you do and your damned if you don't

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Thanks.
Maybe put a proper turn around area by your house

Box Ox

That look a customer gives when you tell them you have to get turned around in their inconsiderately placed obstacle field or back out and walk it back up their driveway before you can scan and hand them their package.

"Yes, Bob. There really is a back-first naughty list. I don't want to be on it".

Same goes for number and length of backs. I'll walk stuff off. But if you get a lot shipped every day and you're not gonna throw me a bone, stuff is gonna stop getting walked to your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.