My new life!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ok...when did the word a....s.....s....become so taboo...it's not like I was dropping the friend bomb. Come on.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

....And at that point you committed a proveable act of dishonesty and the company had every right to terminate your employment.

Its great that you are able to retire and I truly wish you the best in your new life. But your actions in this particular event were an example of what not to do.

I agree with you that sheeting the NDA when he was not at the stop just to make sure it had a time stamp of 1029 is not the right thing to do, but the only reason that he ended up on a report was that he then did the right thing by redelivering the pkg when the neighbor approached him a few minutes later. He even sheeted it as a duplicate stop so he would not be accused of padding stops. Had he not stopped to sort we wouldn't be having this discussion. I also agree with Sat that the majority of 23 year employees would not be terminated for this offense and that there must have been other issues in his file.

There is a difference between retiring and resigning.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I would like to clear the air.Yes I was terminated like the gossip queen upsguy72 has stated.That day I took 2 extra stops for my supervisor because he wasnt going to make commits in his area.I misjudged the time by 1 minute.So I took it upon myself to scan the last stop at 1029 and drive 3/4 of a mile to the last stop.It was a signature req. pkg.Noone answered the door so I put the stop in at 1032 nI1.While I was soting my next section,the women came from behind her house(she was in her garden)and asked me if she could sign for the pkg.I had her sign,I put it in as duplicate stop,and went on my way.UPS has a report on airs sheeted 2 times from 10:15/10:45.I SHOWED UP ON IT.THEY FIRED ME.THE UNION GOT MY JOB BACK 1 WEEK LATER.I GAVE MY RESIGNATION AND WORKED THE LAST WEEK.I choose not to work there anymore.As for why this guy UPSGUY72 chooses to put my wifes personal info on BROWNCAFE is beyond me.But I take comfort knowing that he knows even if I dont work another day in my life I still have more than 2 times the $$$$ coming into my house than he does WORKING AT UPS. :-)
SINCERLY, PAIDOVER95

Should have sheeted the parcel as EC and everyone would have been happy!

paidover95

No 23yr driver I have known would have been terminated for this offense.
There has to more in your work history, and to this story.
Good thing you have a "supportive" wife.
I just don't get the anger you spew.

I just came back to work from a workers comp.Our division manager seems to be teminating drivers who damage his safety record(accident-or injury) to install fear in the other employees.Plus I wasnt afraid to file a greviance if I felt the company violated the contract.Yes sattellitedriver I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful,supportive wife!!!The anger I spew???Maybe its from years of being mistreated by management.I am a very happy person overall, I felt the job was ruining who I was.Both physically and mentally.I will admit maybe my job at ups could of been (easier)if maybe I kept my mouth shut over the years with some situations,but thats not who I am.So in the end I am happy with how things worked out. Only I have to live with my decision. :-)

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A 3 year driver and a 23 year driver make the same $. Only a 23 year driver has a lot more to lose. THAT not $ is the reason they go after them harder.

UPS has fired management in the past that are close to collecting a retirement because it will cost them money. There is no way in hell I would resign because they gave me a warning letter. UPS has weeded out the lazy driver from ever working package, but there are more terrible drivers that are in the center manager's office twice a week that still have jobs, SO I know my BA would get me back in quickly.

The OP admits he has battled with management in the past and doesn't want to deal with it anymore. Anybody that has worked here for 23 years would get a hearty handshake from me. Enjoy life because tomorrow is never promised !

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A 3 year driver and a 23 year driver make the same $. Only a 23 year driver has a lot more to lose. THAT not $ is the reason they go after them harder.

The 23-year driver gets 6 weeks of paid vacation and 4 optional holidays versus 2 vacation weeks and 2 optional holidays for the 3-year driver. That is a difference of over $5K per year. In most cases the 23-year driver is also going to be significantly older and more beat up/injury prone.

Its all a numbers game.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
as a runner i dont have to worry about this kind of thing, i scratch their back, they scratch mine

A

anonymous6

True, but only for a few more months at the very most. Had Germany not surrendered in May of 1945, then by August of that same year we would have dropped our first operational atomic bomb on Berlin instead of Hiroshima and the outcome of the war would have been the same.

I really doubt that they would drop the bomb on euros/ my dad said that back in the 40's the japanese were considered sub human. ( sorry but that was the feeling in those days )

Last edited by a moderator:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I really doubt that they would drop the bomb on euros/ my dad said that back in the 40's the japanese were considered sub human. ( sorry but that was the feeling in those days )

No, they would have. I'm kind of a WW2 "fan" and having seen countless History channel shows on the subject, we were planning on dropping the bomb on Hitler but German troops surrendered before it was ready and the Japanese wouldn't surrender so we "encouraged" them to

soberups

There was a very real fear on our part that the Germans were preparing to hit our cities with "dirty bombs"---standard explosive warheads encased in radioactive uranium and mounted on V-2 rockets launched from U-boats. They actually had researched the idea of launching V-2's from U-boats, but the war ended before they could perfect the technology. Ironically enough, the Nazis anti-Semitism was one of the main reasons they never came close to developing a nuclear weapon of their own; many of the top nuclear physicists of that era were Jews who fled Europe.

Another little-known historical fact; 2 weeks before Germany surrendered, they sent a gigantic supply submarine, the U-234, to Japan loaded with supplies such as rocket engines, advanced radar sets, a disassembled ME-262 jet fighter...and over 1,000 lbs of processed Uranium 235. The sub was in the mid-Atlantic when the war ended and the captain wound up sailing the boat to the US to surrender. The uranium was not enriched or weapons-grade, but it could have been used by the Japanese to make radioactive "dirty bombs" of their own that would have been dropped on American cities by floatplanes launched from submarines. There was actually a plan in place to do this, but it was stopped by the failure of the U-234 to reach Japan. It is widely believed that the uranium was processed by the US for use in the atomic bomb that was ultimately dropped on Hiroshima.

UPSGUY72

I just came back to work from a workers comp.Our division manager seems to be teminating drivers who damage his safety record(accident-or injury) to install fear in the other employees.Plus I wasnt afraid to file a greviance if I felt the company violated the contract.Yes sattellitedriver I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful,supportive wife!!!The anger I spew???Maybe its from years of being mistreated by management.I am a very happy person overall, I felt the job was ruining who I was.Both physically and mentally.I will admit maybe my job at ups could of been (easier)if maybe I kept my mouth shut over the years with some situations,but thats not who I am.So in the end I am happy with how things worked out. Only I have to live with my decision. :-)

If you kept your mouth shut instead of bragging about how much your wife makes to your former coworker I would have no clue how how much she makes. But you seemed to enjoy rubbing it in when you got a chance.

soberups

as a runner i dont have to worry about this kind of thing, i scratch their back, they scratch mine

As a runner, you need to be aware that once you are no longer physically capable of "scratching their back" they are going to stick a knife in yours.

At UPS you are only as good as your previous days production, and the moment that you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on a report you become a liability rather than an asset and you will be dealt with accordingly.

hellfire

As a runner, you need to be aware that once you are no longer physically capable of "scratching their back" they are going to stick a knife in yours.

At UPS you are only as good as your previous days production, and the moment that you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on a report you become a liability rather than an asset and you will be dealt with accordingly.
there are alot of " what ifs" in life, i tend not to dwell on what ifs and scare tactics

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
there are alot of " what ifs" in life, i tend not to dwell on what ifs and scare tactics

Its not a "what if", its a WHEN. Every driver who tears up routes will, at one point or another slow down due to being tired of busting your hump to only have to help other drivers, or just physically "breaking down"

I "run" when I'm on certain routes to benefit me and NOBODY else. I give them no reasons to need to "scratch my back", I run my work properly and send 9.5 messages blah blah blah.

If management wants to try to intiidate me they'll need to try MUCH harder

hellfire

Its not a "what if", its a WHEN. Every driver who tears up routes will, at one point or another slow down due to being tired of busting your hump to only have to help other drivers, or just physically "breaking down"

I "run" when I'm on certain routes to benefit me and NOBODY else. I give them no reasons to need to "scratch my back", I run my work properly and send 9.5 messages blah blah blah.

If management wants to try to intiidate me they'll need to try MUCH harder
heres the thing,,im not new to this game...i have a been runner for 28 years,,every now and then i will help other drivers, its not a big deal to me..my management does not abuse it, the drivers in my loop know to ask for help only when necessary,, i dont know what pit of lazy misery most of you live in but this whole arguement of " someday it will catch up and all management is out to get you" wore out and lost its validity after about 10 yrs, I HAVE OUTLASTED SO MANY 'UNION IS MY CRUTCH" BLOWHARDS ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY

Johney

heres the thing,,im not new to this game...i have a been runner for 28 years,,every now and then i will help other drivers, its not a big deal to me..my management does not abuse it, the drivers in my loop know to ask for help only when necessary,, i dont know what pit of lazy misery most of you live in but this whole arguement of " someday it will catch up and all management is out to get you" wore out and lost its validity after about 10 yrs, I HAVE OUTLASTED SO MANY 'UNION IS MY CRUTCH" BLOWHARDS ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY
You have my praise for being able to run and gun for 28 years. You must be in immaculate physical shape. I'll admit after 23 years I'm more than beat down. I am by no means overweight or out of shape but I hurt most of my days. Yes I still run scratch but when you get those high dispatch days(more than twice a week) it really does bring me down. It's like come on guys really? Your gonna send me out with this much work and let 4 guys go home? Sometimes I want to just run it up their a.s.s.and give them some O/A but it's hard when I just do the job as best I can and still run U/A.