My station managers are saying that if you call off on a Friday or Monday you need a doctor's note

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I would write my own doctor's note - much in the same vein as DJT's, except go the opposite way

"My patient is the sickest guy I have ever seen - hugely sick - just fantastically, I really wanna tell ya. I would say he's the sickest guy ever in Fedexdom. I ran a bunch of tests on him and they came back 'negative' on everything. Sad"

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Like I said they can't enforce it in California. We were handed out a memo of the law and acknowledged that we read it.
California Paid Sick Leave: Frequently Asked Questions
This means, in general terms, that if an employee has accrued sick days available, an employer may not deny the employee the right to use those accrued paid sick days, including the right to use paid sick leave for a partial day (e.g., to attend a doctor’s appointment), and may not discipline the employee for doing so.

Many employers have attendance policies under which employees may be given an “occurrence” or similar adverse personnel action (which is a form of discipline with potentially negative repercussions) if the employee has an unscheduled absence or provides insufficient notice of an absence. Under the terms of the paid sick leave law (and Labor Code sections 233 and 234), if an employee has accrued and available sick leave, and is using his or her accrued paid sick leave for a purpose as specified in the law, it is not permissible for an employer to give the employee an “occurrence” for the absence under such an attendance policy because this would constitute a form of discipline against an employee for using his or her paid sick leave as allowed under the paid sick leave law.

Three issues. One is that your link says nothing at all about requiring documentation for the use of sick leave. Second is that there is no policy preventing you from skipping work when sick. The third is that it applies specifically and explicitly to accrued sick leave. FedEx does not provide employees with accrued sick leave, Tupac.

BootsOnTarmac

I never call in with a reason, I just state: I'm unavailable for work today, tomorrow, etc. The next work day I get with my manager and discuss how this absence will be recorded on my timecard. Before signing your timecard be sure it is coded correctly. Make a copy of it for your records. Some managers will just code your absence with a floating holiday or personal when you really had a sick day. Regarding a Doctors note: Just say my doctor will not provide a note due to HIPAA Compliance and my absence is not Workers Compensation related.

MAKAVELI

Three issues. One is that your link says nothing at all about requiring documentation for the use of sick leave. Second is that there is no policy preventing you from skipping work when sick. The third is that it applies specifically and explicitly to accrued sick leave. FedEx does not provide employees with accrued sick leave, Tupac.
Are you that dense? They can not deny paid sick leave for an employee who has sick time on the books. Whether it is accrued or not. Regardless if they ask for a note or not. It really isn't that hard to understand. Well maybe for you it is.

59 Dano

Are you that dense? They can not deny paid sick leave for an employee who has sick time on the books. Whether it is accrued or not. Regardless if they ask for a note or not. It really isn't that hard to understand. Well maybe for you it is.

Who said anything about denying sick pay? The issue is whether or not they can require documentation, and they can, even in California. Gonna have to be smarter than the guy in your avatar, hoss.

Maui

Who said anything about denying sick pay? The issue is whether or not they can require documentation, and they can, even in California. Gonna have to be smarter than the guy in your avatar, hoss.

In some states documentation cannot be required for fewer than 3 days missed. AZ has one of the newest laws that do not allow for requiring dr note and I'm betting other states will follow. No retaliation of any kind nor discipline for 40 hours from FedEx. That includes part-timers.

MAKAVELI

Why would one need to provide documentation if they are going to be paid regardless? BTW we can use our sick leave to care for the care of a family member. Can FedEx require a documentation for that? Keep trying Dano, its hilarious.

59 Dano

Why would one need to provide documentation if they are going to be paid regardless? BTW we can use our sick leave to care for the care of a family member. Can FedEx require a documentation for that? Keep trying Dano, its hilarious.

You gonna show us the law you say bars FedEx from requiring documentation or are you just gonna keep telling us why you don't think they can?

MAKAVELI

You gonna show us the law you say bars FedEx from requiring documentation or are you just gonna keep telling us why you don't think they can?
I just showed you the law that states they can't deny paid leave that an employee has on the books. So you want to show me where the law says an employer can require documentation to use such paid sick leave?

overflowed

There are stations at fedex that have accrued sick time.

MAKAVELI

And I'll ask again, California allows employees to use sick leave to care for a family member. Does FedEx have the right to require documentation for that?

Maui

Here you go. From the Arizona Industrial Commission. Frequently Asked Questions About Wage and Earned Paid Sick Time Laws | Industrial Commission of Arizona

Can an employer require employees to document absences in which earned paid sick time was used?
Yes, but only if an employee uses earned paid sick time on three or more consecutive work days. Where earned paid sick time is used on three of more consecutive work days, an employer can require reasonable documentation that the earned paid sick time was used for purposes permitted by Arizona’s earned paid sick time laws. For further information about permitted uses of earned paid sick time, see What can earned paid sick time be used for?

See also ARS Title 23 Section 8.1
Specifically regarding use and documentation View Document - Arizona Legislature