My thoughts on Peak as a Driver Helper this December

Heavy Package

No one cares about driver helpers. No one wants to hear your thoughts. You are a faceless soul with (hopefully) 2 arms to carry the box and 2 legs to run to the front door and come back. If UPS could train enough dogs to do your job they would lay you off in a second.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The rental trucks sucked, and nothing was sorted properly. The legit old UPS truck had virtually no heat, so by 10 pm after 12 hours in 20 degree temps you felt like you were being tortured when that wind chill hit you. I have great sympathy for the drivers, as this is no way to live; if you can't even see your family outside of the weekend, or have a moment to decompress and actually use your brain beyond sorting PAL numbers and thinking of street routes, what's the point? Good pay, but it's selling your soul to the devil. I'm athletic and played multiple sports at a high level, but jesus christ I could barely walk after that first day with like 320 residential stops in the rain.
If you haven’t noticed most UPS employees end up at UPS by default, through some failure of their own or other unplanned for circumstance.

My experience has shown me that most did not have UPS as their goal in life.

Most for one reason or another failed to achieve their intended life goal, or goals.

It is a decent wage, benefits, and pension to end up with in spite of the failures that resulted in us ending up here.

Integrity

Binge Poster
No one cares about driver helpers. No one wants to hear your thoughts. You are a faceless soul with (hopefully) 2 arms to carry the box and 2 legs to run to the front door and come back. If UPS could train enough dogs to do your job they would lay you off in a second.
I care.

I want to hear your thoughts.

Brotherrr

My thoughts as a Helper this year:

1) Pretty physical job and I was sore when I got home
2) Pleasantly surprised by the jump seat--very comfortable! A+
3) Pretty good pay for a few weeks of your life
4) I learned to hate people who ordered tires or who had a sign on their front door that said "Back door only for deliveries". I learned to love people who left out snacks for us.
5) It was cold sometimes but if you kept moving it really wasnt too bad! Just have to keep your ears warm.

All in all, a good seasonal job. Thanks for your hard work all year and especially during Peak season.

Faceplanted

The rental trucks sucked, and nothing was sorted properly. The legit old UPS truck had virtually no heat, so by 10 pm after 12 hours in 20 degree temps you felt like you were being tortured when that wind chill hit you. I have great sympathy for the drivers, as this is no way to live; if you can't even see your family outside of the weekend, or have a moment to decompress and actually use your brain beyond sorting PAL numbers and thinking of street routes, what's the point? Good pay, but it's selling your soul to the devil. I'm athletic and played multiple sports at a high level, but jesus christ I could barely walk after that first day with like 320 residential stops in the rain.
Nice blog post

Shiftless

You post this in your thread "Good pay, but it's selling your soul to the devil."

I say "You only Know, What you Know" !

UPS has a saying about getting the big picture. It does apply to many things, but as a driver it means you need to know what "WAD" (Work as Directed) is and work within the Big Picture. You mostly learn that from seasoned drivers who apply it to their daily routine! These are the driver's who you see retire, heads up, not busted up and who enjoyed good benefits and a tremendous amount of days off in comparison to most non College educated jobs with a moderate pension when the time comes. Again this a is not a job for everyone, once you learn to Work as Directed its a whole different job! Some get it, many don't. One peak season would make anyone Leary of taking this job as a career.

If the job doesn't fit? Just QUIT!

542thruNthru

Well I played high school football and started on a then 5A team. And while there, could run all

day and practice in 104 weather. I was fit. I think it prepared me for the job. Sweating and

working long days was cake compared to football. Physical part never bothered me. It was the

biggest A wholes in the world that you had to work for. As far as living, most self-employed

folks with businesses will talk of long hours and the rest of it. My daughter is a grade

school teacher making $57k. She hates it. Can't wait to quit. UPS isn't for most folks and

I never recommend it to anyone. But, I live comfortably and have a nice home and things

with free insurance, $100k+ income, 7 weeks vacation. Most people who know me or

come to my home, seem to admire the perks. Mostly because they make $50k and live

on what $50k provides while buying scratch off lottery tickets....What is quality of life?

Good question. I have been pondering this for the last 40 years.

TMPDR (too many paragraphs didn't read)

El Correcto

god is dead
This job is super easy. The only real complaint I have is running out of podcasts to listen to. Everyone starts taking breaks for Christmas and you start to run out.

I’ve listened to every episode of “Behind the Bastards” and that guy is some flaming liberal antifa type. I’m seriously bored.

Also heat is dot required on our trucks, they don’t provide me heat, I refuse to drive.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Stop being a martyr. You act like this is the first time anyone in the history of UPS has had that happen. You parked your ass in a jumpseat for what, 3-5 weeks MAYBE. We do this for 52 weeks a year. Nothing new here.

Last edited:

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Yeah go out there and see if you can find a job that’ll give you a pension when you’re done with working. That alone is worth it in 2019.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
If you haven’t noticed most UPS employees end up at UPS by default, through some failure of their own or other unplanned for circumstance.

My experience has shown me that most did not have UPS as their goal in life.

Most for one reason or another failed to achieve their intended life goal, or goals.

It is a decent wage, benefits, and pension to end up with in spite of the failures that resulted in us ending up here.
Relax guy. This job is not so bad. What do you expect when you only need a GED at the very least to work here? It’s using your back for lots of perks. Have a coke and a smile. You’ll be fine

Dumbo

Sorting all those PAL numbers, remembering routes, being physically active all day, in the outdoors enduring any sort of weather, is literally the key to long healthy life. Great for brain health, physical health, and great for the ability to endure discomfort in life.

purehavanne

Sorting all those PAL numbers, remembering routes, being physically active all day, in the outdoors enduring any sort of weather, is literally the key to long healthy life. Great for brain health, physical health, and great for the ability to endure discomfort in life.
This is one of the secrets to life. Being comfortable with being uncomfortable