My thoughts on Peak as a Driver Helper this December

bumped

The rental trucks sucked, and nothing was sorted properly. The legit old UPS truck had virtually no heat, so by 10 pm after 12 hours in 20 degree temps you felt like you were being tortured when that wind chill hit you. I have great sympathy for the drivers, as this is no way to live; if you can't even see your family outside of the weekend, or have a moment to decompress and actually use your brain beyond sorting PAL numbers and thinking of street routes, what's the point? Good pay, but it's selling your soul to the devil. I'm athletic and played multiple sports at a high level, but jesus christ I could barely walk after that first day with like 320 residential stops in the rain.

Heat shouldn't matter. The doors are open all the time anyway, so the heat won't hold. Oh, wait, that's the same excuse people like to use by not needing air conditioning in the summer to maybe cool us off a couple degrees.

Air Recovery

I don't think Scoobs was trying to call us failures.....some of us only have highschool diplomas yet are making 100-150k a year with pension, medical benefits that are top of the line, 401k and unionized job security.

He knows as well as us that we are lucky mother:censored2:ers.

There are so many gosh darn people out there who wanna be drivers, feeder or package. When people find out about our pay their jaws drop.

purehavanne

I honestly think a job like this is almost perfect for health. It's everything I mentioned before but I'm also a biohack nerd and the exposure to vitamin D on a daily basis is a huge thing for health compared to most professions, along with :

- increased BDNF protein (Google cold shock protein) due to heat and cold exposure and effect on mitochondria aging. This is due to being exposed to extreme temperature conditions. Both extreme cold and heat exposure are anti-inflammatory. Extreme cold exposure creates an increase in brown adipose tissue (brown fat). Brown fat is healthy metabolically active fat that helps you adapt to extreme climates, burns more fat, and increases testosterone. Newborns have a lot of brown fat, which is why which they don't shiver. It is extremely healthy, and as you age, brown fat is reduced due to the lack of exposure to the elements creating a weaker man.

-in men, higher testosterone levels (especially if paired with a healthy diet) due to constant glute activation. Glutes are literally the seat of testosterone in men. Not to mention the maintenance of muscle tissue when aging, dramatically reducing risk of injury (if some sort of flexibility program is maintained). Resistance training can actually reverse osteoporosis and build denser bones. Resistance training maintains muscle when aging, which preserves hormones and prevents injury.

- Increased oxygen in body due to increased heart rate of labor in fresh air. This also helps maintain a healthy gut microbiome, which leads to increased vagus nerve activation (the link between body and brain). Also leads to increased serotonin levels.

-Increased sleep capacity. Men who work hard each day usually sleep like a baby. Sleep is a cornerstone of all brain, physical, mental, and emotional health.

-The memorization of numbers, routes, and a constant awareness of surroundings is massive for staving off mental decline in aging adults. We don't need crossword puzzles. This daily activity, 50 hours a week, is extremely healthy for new neural connections. It literally can stave off diseases like dementia band Alzheimer's decades before they could become an issue. Don't believe me, Google brain exercises and effect on mental health.

-The example to my kids of sacrifice and hard work. My boys see their dad come home every night seeing that I worked hard. I labored all day for them. It teaches them the value of hard work. I can see the respect in their eyes when they see me come in the door. They hug me and can't believe I worked 11 hours in the November rain that day. It also teaches them to measure discomfort better.

There are many more but I'm tired of typing. Bottom line, a job like this or similar to this is as close to ideal as possible to a healthy body and mind. It covers almost every basis. Take someone who eats healthy and values sleep and they probably feel pretty :censored2:ing good every day. I know I do .
One of the best posts I’ve read on here

Air Recovery

I honestly think a job like this is almost perfect for health. It's everything I mentioned before but I'm also a biohack nerd and the exposure to vitamin D on a daily basis is a huge thing for health compared to most professions, along with :

- increased BDNF protein (Google cold shock protein) due to heat and cold exposure and effect on mitochondria aging. This is due to being exposed to extreme temperature conditions. Both extreme cold and heat exposure are anti-inflammatory. Extreme cold exposure creates an increase in brown adipose tissue (brown fat). Brown fat is healthy metabolically active fat that helps you adapt to extreme climates, burns more fat, and increases testosterone. Newborns have a lot of brown fat, which is why which they don't shiver. It is extremely healthy, and as you age, brown fat is reduced due to the lack of exposure to the elements creating a weaker man.

-in men, higher testosterone levels (especially if paired with a healthy diet) due to constant glute activation. Glutes are literally the seat of testosterone in men. Not to mention the maintenance of muscle tissue when aging, dramatically reducing risk of injury (if some sort of flexibility program is maintained). Resistance training can actually reverse osteoporosis and build denser bones. Resistance training maintains muscle when aging, which preserves hormones and prevents injury.

- Increased oxygen in body due to increased heart rate of labor in fresh air. This also helps maintain a healthy gut microbiome, which leads to increased vagus nerve activation (the link between body and brain). Also leads to increased serotonin levels.

-Increased sleep capacity. Men who work hard each day usually sleep like a baby. Sleep is a cornerstone of all brain, physical, mental, and emotional health.

-The memorization of numbers, routes, and a constant awareness of surroundings is massive for staving off mental decline in aging adults. We don't need crossword puzzles. This daily activity, 50 hours a week, is extremely healthy for new neural connections. It literally can stave off diseases like dementia band Alzheimer's decades before they could become an issue. Don't believe me, Google brain exercises and effect on mental health.

-The example to my kids of sacrifice and hard work. My boys see their dad come home every night seeing that I worked hard. I labored all day for them. It teaches them the value of hard work. I can see the respect in their eyes when they see me come in the door. They hug me and can't believe I worked 11 hours in the November rain that day. It also teaches them to measure discomfort better.

There are many more but I'm tired of typing. Bottom line, a job like this or similar to this is as close to ideal as possible to a healthy body and mind. It covers almost every basis. Take someone who eats healthy and values sleep and they probably feel pretty :censored2:ing good every day. I know I do .

This post is excellent. I take this job as an opportunity to be paid well and provide for my family while working out. I am the driver driving around in the heart of winter in short sleeves because i am literally immune to cold. This job transforms you into a greater version of yourself. I have no regrets.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I chose the ups driver job , not by default , or because I’m a failure , I am a smart enough guy that I could of succeeded well in college or other avenues ,, I chose UPS because I wanted a career and a good paycheck along with job security. I am 55 with 31 yrs in next month , most of my HS buddy’s went to college and have been in and out of work many of times , I’m guaranteed 6 weeks vaca , paid holidays and 5 sick ,3 personnel and never been laid off ,, I found the post by @Integrity insulting ,, I owe UPS nothing and they have paid me well for my efforts and loss of family time , but I wouldn’t change a thing !! In no way do I now or looking back , do I think I have came here due to my short comings or because I was a failure !!
I said most not all.

Based upon what you said you succeeded in achieving your intended goal in life.

That awesome!!

IMO Failing to achieve intended goals doesn’t make a person failure.

Integrity

Binge Poster
@Integrity, I take exception to what you say regarding working at UPS being a failure by my own hands, or some other circumstances. I will agree that when the time came for me to make a career decision, I absolutely never said I want to deliver packages for UPS. @Raw and @Covemastah said it so eloquently and were spot on.

After college, my plan was to work for the US Marshall Service and after working there for a few years, go on to law school to become an attorney. While in the process of testing and interviewing for the Marshalls, I got hired for a large metropolitan police department where I was assigned to numerous divisions and specialties.

During my tenure there, I completed my first year of my masters and my excitement towards being an attorney was waning. I did well in my assignments and moved up the chain of command. As time went on, I became disenfranchised with the criminal justice system and chose to stop pursuing my masters and decided not to become an attorney.

I remained in law enforcement for several more years but ultimately got bored with what I was doing, and where I would end up, as I knew that sooner rather than later I would end up coming back inside, and off the street, to work in an administrative supervisory position. This was not something that I really wanted to do so I chose to leave law enforcement to pursue other things.

UPS paid well and I knew that, so I applied and was hired on. While there is no stimulation intellectually, and the job presents no real challenge, I enjoy doing what I do because I am not being cooped up in an office and I have been getting to meet some good people. I make more than most of my law enforcement colleagues and one of my buddies who also went on to law school is not even making $100k a year practicing civil law.

I hardly consider myself a failure.
Didn’t mean to offend.

If working at UPS was your intended goal in life when you were planning out your future then my comments do not apply to you.

That was not the case for me or most UPSers I have met in my over 25 years of employment at UPS.

To add:
IMO Failing to achieve intended goals doesn’t make a person failure.

Peace.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
How do all of these delivery drivers with a College Masters degree feel when a driver with a GED beats them out of a better job because of seniority?
They probably don't feel any worse than an on car I know that left 3 weeks of vacation time on the table when he chose to retire this past April after giving the company 34 years in a management role, all the while making the most of his bachelors for the company.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I am the driver driving around in the heart of winter in short sleeves because i am literally immune to cold
Do u mean short pants? I run around in shorts all year long, but not short sleeves ( got to keep the core temp ) & constantly moving is key

Dumbo

This post is excellent. I take this job as an opportunity to be paid well and provide for my family while working out. I am the driver driving around in the heart of winter in short sleeves because i am literally immune to cold. This job transforms you into a greater version of yourself. I have no regrets.

Thanks. I forgot to mention a very important health benefit. Extreme heat exposure on a regular basis has amazing health benefits. The body is always collecting toxins from the environment or from food you eat. When you sweat on a regular basis, providing you are drinking a lot of water, you are detoxing your body constantly. You are constantly flushing heavy metals and other toxins out through your sweat. It's the main health benefit of sauna usage without the sauna.

There are other ways I tweak my health as well. But that's less about the job and more about my lifestyle. I fast until noon every day (16/8 intermittent fasting), eat a high fat lower carb diet, take ZMA, fish oil, and 5HTP every night, use lions mane mushroom powder and coconut oil in my coffee every day, and use conscious breath control through the day. Also do things like take cold showers (Google benefits of cold showers or Wim Hof and it will change your life). I feel better in my mid 40s than ever in my life.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I don't think Scoobs was trying to call us failures.....some of us only have highschool diplomas yet are making 100-150k a year with pension, medical benefits that are top of the line, 401k and unionized job security.

He knows as well as us that we are lucky mother:censored2:ers.

There are so many gosh darn people out there who wanna be drivers, feeder or package. When people find out about our pay their jaws drop.

"Scoobs" wasn't the one who called us failures. Integrity was the one who said we were basically failures because we work at UPS.