My UPS hub is going on strike.

Capnfapn

Pessimistically Optimistic.
I live in California as well. It's the same contract. So they owe you 10 cents more because they dropped it below minimum wage. File a grievance.
Then why would I have the building manager, other long term employees, my union rep, and others telling me I’m contractually owed $21/hr?

PT Car Washer

I live in California as well. It's the same contract. So they owe you 10 cents more because they dropped it below minimum wage. File a grievance.
Shouldn't need to file a grievance because the dispute is between UPS payroll and city law (?) . File a complaint with city attorney. Or the Union should.

Capnfapn

Because sadly they don't know what they are talking about. Everyone is under the assumption that the MRA was a permanent raise.
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Do you think there’s a possibility I can get them to put me back at $21 since they didn’t notify me and also paid me minimum wage? Or should I just take the penalty pay?

542thruNthru

Should I also do that for them not notifying any of the employees too?
There is no California labor law that I'm aware of that prohibits a company from reducing a employees compensation. I also know of no contractual language saying they have to give you warning that they are removing the MRA.

542thruNthru

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Do you think there’s a possibility I can get them to put me back at $21 since they didn’t notify me and also paid me minimum wage? Or should I just take the penalty pay?
I'd say it's near impossible that you'll go back to $21 an hour unless UPS does another MRA.

Capnfapn

I'd say it's near impossible that you'll go back to $21 an hour unless UPS does another MRA.
friend* me. Thanks for all the help. I might tough it out at UPS for the benefits. I’m due for a raise soon too anyway. And if I’m completely honest I do pick off on the slowest belt in the hub and I don’t think that that’s worth $21/hr anyway ;p worst case I’ll get two jobs I guess.

542thruNthru

friend* me. Thanks for all the help. I might tough it out at UPS for the benefits. I’m due for a raise soon too anyway. And if I’m completely honest I do pick off on the slowest belt in the hub and I don’t think that that’s worth $21/hr anyway ;p worst case I’ll get two jobs I guess.
Get another job to tide you over. UPS is testing the waters right now in my opinion. I think a MRA may come back and don't forget the contract is right around the corner as well.

PT Car Washer

Talk to the Union, talk to a labor lawyer, hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Capnfapn

Get another job to tide you over. UPS is testing the waters right now in my opinion. I think an MRA may come back and don't forget the contract is right around the corner as well.
How long have you worked for UPS? Are you a driver? Full time or part time?

Capnfapn

Get another job to tide you over. UPS is testing the waters right now in my opinion. I think a MRA may come back and don't forget the contract is right around the corner as well.
Also if my hub does strike, do you think I should join in? Or not worth the potential loss of a job?

PT Car Washer

We have all been there. Used to take sometimes 10 years of working PT before you got a chance at a FT job. Now you only need to work 6 months in some locations.