need advice

tieguy

Banned
For the record I made a mis delivery 1 never was I spoke to, I never got the warning letter, and for you to call me a screw up you can go ************. You must be a sup. yourself, you do not have a clue what *******S we work for, again like I said this is a new 3 man team and a women center manager. The old center manager and the other 2 sups. were fired and then these new *******S came down. The center manager hates men, and the 2 Sups. are so prejudice it's not even funny. You really do not have a clue on how crooked thes 4 are. I have done everything I can to be a good driver, I go that extra mile, I run 150-160 and I am back to the center with no attitude before 6, I finally get tried of the man pushing me so I take up for myself and stay out and I am a screw up you *************you are no diffrerence then they are, you are probably just like them.:nono:

you represent yourself well chicken. You have answered all my questions on why you are getting all this management attention.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Most managment quit driving because they couldn't handle it for whatever reason. So of course It would do me no good to take advice from failed drivers. You can't memorize your way into safe situations. The drivers that can do it, do it. The ones who can't, memorize, have accidents, and eventually become managment.

This post is the Webster's dictionary definition of a "blanket statement" :angry:

Hey JULAKA, are all tall people good basketball players too !:surprised:

screamin chicken

Most managment quit driving because they couldn't handle it for whatever reason. So of course It would do me no good to take advice from failed drivers. You can't memorize your way into safe situations. The drivers that can do it, do it. The ones who can't, memorize, have accidents, and eventually become managment.

you are so right, then when they go into mangment they get brain washed and start to pick at us, when the real deal is that they are just puppets on a string to the big guy, and they kiss so much butt.:funny:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Whatever you have also.

you are so right, then when they go into mangment they get brain washed and start to pick at us, when the real deal is that they are just puppets on a string to the big guy, and they kiss so much butt.:funny:

You both should write a book about how UPS works. If you have enough time between MENSA meetings, you can even make it a pop-up.

HOAX -- I'm guilty as charged :happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
your analogy of saying all safety committes do is eat donuts is the same as someone who does not understand your job saying all you do is drive a truck. There is a lot more involved with safety committees than you seeing them out there giving out trinkets. The strength of the safety committees relys on the individuals willingness to step up and make things happen. Some individuals involved will I agree be no more use to you then handing out donuts and trinkets. But there are many including shop stewards who get involved and make things happen. In many cases they act as buffers from management. If management goes out and does an observation and sees you working unsafely you may get a warning letter. The safety committe can go out and do observations and correct unsafe behavior without management getting involved or knowing about it.

Ive been waiting 22 years for my Safety Committee to make one tangible accomplishment. I'm still waiting.

We had a serious issue with egress, overcrowding and a slippery walk surface in one of our MDU's. I brought it to the attention of the Safety Committee. They talked about it for about 9 months and nothing happened. I filed a greivance and threatened to call the Fire Dept and the problem got fixed in a week.

Safety Commitees at UPS were never intended to accomplish anything. Their only purpose is to comply with an OSHA mandate and to allow the company to abandon its obligation to provide a safe work enviornment by shifting all responsibility for safety back onto the employee.

In another thread, our friend STUG shares about how he learned this fact the hard way and chose to resign as the Safety Committee chairman rather than continuing to participate in the stupid and dishonest games.

JULAKA

How many basketball players are required to memorize free throw shooting techniques. It's rote memorization without understanding the concepts. Spouting off cute little catch phrases doesn't allow you to perform in real life situations. It's ineffective. Yes, I am a member of MENSA. My IQ is 175, according to a self test that I took.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Work as directed, exactly as directed. Follow EDD, do the speed limit, learn the stuff they teach. You will be a rich person.

I don't know what the problem is !!

Chance you have in trying to beat UPS on this? 0 %
Coming on a little strong, eh Heff?

SC, I would suggest that you have your...

images

...if you choose to continue this battle.
Amen, because they will have all of their........in order.

I dont hate managements safety agenda. I merely feel that it is dishonest and misleading.

Safety begins with proper equipment, proper facilities, and a fair time allowance for the work to be performed. Empty catch phrases and acronyms are no substitute for these basic foundations of safety.

UPS has made a business decision in many cases to refuse to provide these basic foundations of safety, choosing instead to shift all responsibility for accidents and injuries back onto the employee.

The intent of UPS's safety programs is not really to keep us safe, it is to reduce liability and exposure to OSHA fines. The program was designed by lawyers, not drivers or package handlers.

For my part, I will put the same level of effort into passing the Keter audits as UPS has put into providing all of its employees with proper equipment, facilities and allowances. What UPS will get from me is the absolute bare minimum I am legally and contractually required to provide, and not a damn bit more.
Nice!

If you get hurt at work, no matter how or why, it's still a comp injury.

Unless you don't call it in right away, and forget the exact date. Then they deny your claim, due to you not knowing the "exact" date.

If you got SUSPENDED for misdelivering a residential delivery.
Then

1) This has happened before
2) You are not doing the job right
3) Follow up discipline has not corrected your problem

DUDE, Apparently risking your job to make a point is not working for you. Get your resume ready to send to Fed-Ex when you get canned

OOOOOOOPPS :surprised:

Fed-Ex wouldn't hire you if you got canned for misdelivering packages either. Enjoy your job while it lasts and prepare yourself for a low paying job delivering flowers for florists

OOOOOOOPPS :surprised:

They need deliveries to the correct house as well! Your options are dwindling! :surprised:

Ouch, Heff, you're beating SC to a pulp.

Bubblehead,
I happen to agree with you on two points. One, knowing the material will not automatically make you a safe driver. Second, you're right, most drivers are idiots (I live in Boston for heavens sake!).

That being said, UPS drivers are not idiots because we have been trained. This is the difference between us and the general public.

My point about the analogy was that its far more difficult to hit a golf ball straight than it is to drive a car. People spend their lives working on their game and still stink! To drive a car takes about 6 months of driver ed. Thats all I was trying to say.
Some people spend their lives trying to learn the safety stuff and can't get it to stick. Eventually you have to give someone a break.

To counter the driveways, we collectively as a union must not go up driveways and make them pay us for it. Maybe they will change their tune.

I choose not to care what numbers pop out of that computer. Don't care what my overallowed was. Don't care when I finish and come into the building. Don't care if I had 5 incidents of having the bulkhead door open?

I take the truck out , deliver safely and with a sense of urgency, and bring the truck back in one piece right where I started from. If you are taking care of your area and not creating stupid problems. Anything out of the computer is meaningless, at least to me.

To get back to the thread, having working knowledge of the safety lingo keeps you off the radar and can only help you. No sense fighting it.

If we all collectively did this, as well as the speed limit and all of those wonderful methods, we'd either have more routes or lots of OT. It's a win/win situation for us.

your analogy of saying all safety committes do is eat donuts is the same as someone who does not understand your job saying all you do is drive a truck. There is a lot more involved with safety committees than you seeing them out there giving out trinkets. The strength of the safety committees relys on the individuals willingness to step up and make things happen. Some individuals involved will I agree be no more use to you then handing out donuts and trinkets. But there are many including shop stewards who get involved and make things happen. In many cases they act as buffers from management. If management goes out and does an observation and sees you working unsafely you may get a warning letter. The safety committe can go out and do observations and correct unsafe behavior without management getting involved or knowing about it.

It's been almost 3 months since I joined the safety committee, and I have yet to accomplish anything. I've drilled drivers on safe methods and DOK (Depth Of Knowledge), listened in on conference calls, but that's pretty much all I've done.

I recently reported that my pkg car had been damaged, while being used by a cover driver. This "accident" was conveniently covered up, so that it wouldn't go on the accident frequency report. Our mechanic told me that he would have to write up the replacement of my pkg car mirror arm and part of my TP60, as accidents. I told him to go ahead, and reported this to my On-Road, who was seated in the "safety zone" having a conversation with the Division safety manager DSM. The on-road got all red in the face and blasted off to go speak with the mechanic.

After punching out, I went upstairs to speak with the DSM. I told her that I was contemplating quitting as safety co-chair, due to the fact that I was never trained and didn't really do anything, besides what I listed above. She blah blah blah-ed me, for like 25 minutes. She ended by saying, basically, that mgmt is in charge of safety. So as I understood it, mgmt has control over what slips out and gets reported, and what doesn't. During this conversation, my on-road, got red faced again, and started telling me, "Haven't you punched, don't you need to leave".

That is the last straw for me. I am hereby resigning from the safety committee for the following reasons.

1: After having realized that I was speaking out of my butt, when telling people to be safe and do the methods, I was not doing, I turned around and did all of the methods, as required, which made me go significantly slower on my route than I had previously gone. My supervisor and manager were all over me about going over 9/5. I told them that I had too much work and had I done the route as it was supposed to be done, in the first place, the stops would be lower than what they assumed I was "capable" of. I received a warning letter for a ONE DAY OJS ride. How can this happen, when they have no comparative data?

2: The person that delivers the mall has 2 handcarts, and is expected to push/pull both of them, simultaneously. How is this "safe"?

3: Drivers are working, even though they are injured.

4: Drivers still talk on handheld cell phones while driving.

5: The myriad of other unsafe behavior that mgmt puts blinders to.

MGMT wants to nit pick the things you do when you run "overallowed", but when you are pleasing to the numbers, everything is okay. That being said, I believe that UPS touting safety is a farce. The safety committee is full of politics that I refuse to be a party to. If UPS wanted a real safety committee, they'd make it unattached to corporate mgmt/UPS. As with all of my posts, this has been my opinion.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ive been waiting 22 years for my Safety Committee to make one tangible accomplishment. I'm still waiting.

We had a serious issue with egress, overcrowding and a slippery walk surface in one of our MDU's. I brought it to the attention of the Safety Committee. They talked about it for about 9 months and nothing happened. I filed a greivance and threatened to call the Fire Dept and the problem got fixed in a week.

Safety Commitees at UPS were never intended to accomplish anything. Their only purpose is to comply with an OSHA mandate and to allow the company to abandon its obligation to provide a safe work enviornment by shifting all responsibility for safety back onto the employee.

In another thread, our friend STUG shares about how he learned this fact the hard way and chose to resign as the Safety Committee chairman rather than continuing to participate in the stupid and dishonest games.

I was wondering when someone would pull out their STUG card, LOL.:wink2:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Marilyn vos Savant has the highest IQ recorded in Guinness at 228. JULAKA has a 175.

Hmmmmm

Were you able to keep the crayon between the solid lines on this test ! :happy2:

tieguy

Banned

could you define these "us" people you refer to since many drivers go through life with little negative management attention?

tieguy

Banned

As I previously said. All those people on all those safety committes out there just are not blessed enough with your superior intelligence. Just a bunch of ships floating in the dark all wishing they had your light.

tieguy

Banned
How many basketball players are required to memorize free throw shooting techniques. It's rote memorization without understanding the concepts. Spouting off cute little catch phrases doesn't allow you to perform in real life situations. It's ineffective. Yes, I am a member of MENSA. My IQ is 175, according to a self test that I took.

Another poor example as you desperately try to come up with a reason as to why you do not need to know that you should have a six to 8 second following distance when driving 30 or more miles an hour. You keep grasping for something to discount this training. I asked you before I'll ask again.

Tell us your training plan in your company to train all drivers how to drive safely. Keep in mind the training has to be uniform to ensure all drivers get the same information.

I'll again await your superior training plan.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As I previously said. All those people on all those safety committes out there just are not blessed enough with your superior intelligence. Just a bunch of ships floating in the dark all wishing they had your light.

Its a pity when an otherwise intelligent poster is no longer able to debate the facts and must instead resort to personal insults and sarcasm.

I dont consider myself to have superior intelligence, just a modicum of common sense.

How much intelligence does it take to equip a vehicle that has a projected 30-year lifespan with basic safety and ergonomic equipment?

How much intelligence does it take to build adequate facilities and staff them properly?

How much intelligence does it take to comprehend the fact that safety begins with suitable equipment, facilites and time allowances? And how much intelligence does it take to realise that you cannot make up for blatant shortcomings in these areas by throwing acronyms, buzzwords and doughnuts at them?