Need help with P/T Package Handler pay rates?

osustuident

I am interested in applying for employment as a package handler at UPS, but there seems to be a discrepancy? On the UPS website they state if you work a standard 5 hour daily shift m-friend you will take home roughly 110-150 per week @ 8.50-9.50. My current job I only make 8 and I take home around 20-30 dollars more than that. Are there extra fees taken out besides the regular witholdings (state/fed/health ins)? I understand its a strenuous job but my other question is, do they abuse workers bodies? For example do they make you lift 70 lb+ packages continous by yourself, or are you allowed help lifting to lessen the strain on heavy boxes. I was a former carpet installer for my dads business and I know what continous unsafe lifting can do to a body.

Thanks

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am interested in applying for employment as a package handler at UPS, but there seems to be a discrepancy? On the UPS website they state if you work a standard 5 hour daily shift m-friend you will take home roughly 110-150 per week @ 8.50-9.50. My current job I only make 8 and I take home around 20-30 dollars more than that. Are there extra fees taken out besides the regular witholdings (state/fed/health ins)? I understand its a strenuous job but my other question is, do they abuse workers bodies? For example do they make you lift 70 lb+ packages continous by yourself, or are you allowed help lifting to lessen the strain on heavy boxes. I was a former carpet installer for my dads business and I know what continous unsafe lifting can do to a body.

Thanks
You will pay somewhere around $20 a MONTH in union dues for workin at ups. You will get between 3.5 to 5 hours a day. You will earn every dollar you make and if you work safely you should be fine, any over 70 lifting you are allowed help with, just ask for it, but dont be a tough guy and do it alone. Good luck to you.

Cementups

Box Monkey
1st----makes sure you take a spelling class at OSU so they can teach you that there is no "i" in student.

2nd----welcome to the Cafe

3rd---$9 x 20 hours (good luck getting that many these days) = $180, then you pay taxes and such and also have to pay Union dues. Maybe take home $130ish a week.

4th--- If you feel that you are uncomfortable in lifting certain package due to weight or irregularity, then you can ask for help. I would say though that your average package weighs between 10 and 20 lbs.

osustuident

1st----makes sure you take a spelling class at OSU so they can teach you that there is no "i" in student.

2nd----welcome to the Cafe

3rd---$9 x 20 hours (good luck getting that many these days) = $180, then you pay taxes and such and also have to pay Union dues. Maybe take home $130ish a week.

4th--- If you feel that you are uncomfortable in lifting certain package due to weight or irregularity, then you can ask for help. I would say though that your average package weighs between 10 and 20 lbs.

I made my screen name really quick there buddy. Online personal spell checkers annoy me. Thanks for the info and btw I have 3.8 GPA. Thanks for the concern :w00t:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I made my screen name really quick there buddy. Online personal spell checkers annoy me. Thanks for the info and btw I have 3.8 GPA. Thanks for the concern :w00t:

I'm a p/t handler, OSU. I was bringing home about $100 a week for the time the union was taking out initation fees. Yeah, THAT hurt. I worked for UPS before (quit for a school transfer) and I'd work 25 hours almost every week. I'd bring home about $200 in an average week, maybe a little more, maybe a little less depending on the week and the union dues. I budgeted for a $150/week check and never had problems. Then again, I'd go looking for more work, which is why I'd work those 5 hours a night. If you don't want the extra time, you'll be gone at 3.50 or 4, depending on your work area (inbounds vs. outbounds since the outbounds work longer BUT start a little later). -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
Leave it alone, Red. Haven't ya'll been rough enough on this poor guy? Even us brilliant people have stream of conscious issues sometimes. -Rocky
Hes got to gain some respect before he starts claiming to be the next einstein. Just having some fun with him, how can you make a typo after being called on one in the very next post claiming your brilliance? LOL

osustuident

Hes got to gain some respect before he starts claiming to be the next einstein. Just having some fun with him, how can you make a typo after being called on one in the very next post claiming your brilliance? LOL

I saw Red on "To Catch a Predator" on Dateline. When did you get out of jail? LOL

Last edited:

osustuident

By the way, Why would part-time package handlers have to pay union dues? I hear UPS can fire P/T handlers pretty easily (which is a good thing). What exactly does the union do for the people only making 8.50 or 9.00 an hour?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
By the way, Why would part-time package handlers have to pay union dues? I hear UPS can fire P/T handlers pretty easily (which is a good thing). What exactly does the union do for the people only making 8.50 or 9.00 an hour?

No, they can't fire you very easily. It takes a LOT to get fired at UPS (ie stealing, fighting or not showing up/calling in for two weeks and maybe not even then). Joining the union is your call. I don't get in the union's way and the union is to stay the H*LL outta mine unless I ask for their help. Unfortunately, my steward doesn't see it that way. The union is the reason we have these WONDERFUL wages of $8.50 or $9.50/hr but its also why we have the health benefits. -Rocky

cino321

Alright that's what pisses me off.

The union can do a lot for you, no matter what you are making, p/t or friend/t. Union stewards and delegates are your representatives, they represent you in anytime you deal with management. They also ensure your job security

The union is also responsible for any health benefits you have. I think it's safe to say if it wasn't for our unions, p/t's wouldn't be offered any benefits. Keep in mind as a part timer at UPS you are entitled to full time time benefits.

The union also gives a sense of belonging somewhere, or feeling like you are not alone. It's a lot of peace of mind when you work in a environment like UPS.

Remember this isn't just some job, you can potentially begin your career here, and if that's not something you are intrested in, than I suggest you don't even try to work here.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Union stewards and delegates are your representatives, they represent you in anytime you deal with management. They also ensure your job security.

With all due respect, Cino, your post was spoken like a dyed in the wool Teamster. I don't need the union to represent me with management, unless its a termination. I fight my own d*mn battles! If I pick 'em, I'm d*mn sure gonna fight 'em! I don't dispute the health benefits thing, though. I've been non-union and I know the benefits would cost a bundle, if they were even offered. -Rocky

osustuident

Alright that's what pisses me off.

The union can do a lot for you, no matter what you are making, p/t or friend/t. Union stewards and delegates are your representatives, they represent you in anytime you deal with management. They also ensure your job security

The union is also responsible for any health benefits you have. I think it's safe to say if it wasn't for our unions, p/t's wouldn't be offered any benefits. Keep in mind as a part timer at UPS you are entitled to full time time benefits.

The union also gives a sense of belonging somewhere, or feeling like you are not alone. It's a lot of peace of mind when you work in a environment like UPS.

Remember this isn't just some job, you can potentially begin your career here, and if that's not something you are intrested in, than I suggest you don't even try to work here.

Well I'm not that familar with Unions and I didn't mean to "piss" you off :). But hearing both sides helped me out. I have to admit as a Conservative, at the very outset I'm hesitant about Unions. However, I also have to concede most entry-level jobs without Unions will not give you such consistent pay hikes.

AznDiablo

$8.50 to start and after 90 day probation get a $0.50 raise and then a $0.50 annual raise. You also get deducted for union dues for your first 4 paychecks equalling $200 and then $22 a month thereafter. (Los Angeles Area)

W

westsideworma

see when I started in this area (east new england district) they had compensation for the initiation fee as long as you showed up everyday. If you showed up everyday on time you got a $30.18 bonus to cover the fee and give a little something extra. Not surprisingly I've learned that is no longer offered.

I've worked 23-27 hours a week depending on lots of things really, but take home 200-250 a week. We are really hurting for help so they have me come in and start pulls (I'm a preloader) for now so I'm getting extra money there and will be starting to double shift in the near future. There is money at UPS, you just have to find it (before it suffers another cutback lol).

UPS is not for everyone, there is stress (management and hourly alike), its very physical (for most) and well theres a lot of BS policies they try to enforce now and then (no stacking for instance..anyone who's preloaded knows you have to sometimes) which can be frustrating. As you mentioned the pay also sucks (for PTimers at least, unless you've been here many years), I'm using them for school money and the benefits. The pay check money doesn't really help much but its something. You also have opportunities such as getting some management experience (PT Supes) should you choose to do so. Its not easy and its much more frustrating at times, but does look very good on a resume. It also pays better however, your raises are less than stellar, but then again its a big raise over making 8.50 an hour.

I like UPS for the most part, I am in the pool for management and sign every bid sheet that comes up for FT work, I would have gone driving this year if I wasn't in school (name came up on the list) so there are opportunities here and thats what they hope you see...not the pitiful PT starting wage. Many feel they rely too much on the mentioned opportunities and their benefits to help with retention. From what I can see at my hub, those things don't mean much when you're busting your butt for 130-150 a week (for a newhire).

Some hang in there, many don't. I'm not trying to be a jerk its just I've seen them come and go, some in as little as 20 min (not kidding). Show up on time, work to the best of your ability and let the BS roll down and you'll do just fine.

cino321

With all due respect, Cino, your post was spoken like a dyed in the wool Teamster. I don't need the union to represent me with management, unless its a termination. I fight my own d*mn battles! If I pick 'em, I'm d*mn sure gonna fight 'em! I don't dispute the health benefits thing, though. I've been non-union and I know the benefits would cost a bundle, if they were even offered. -Rocky

I don't know how things work in your building, but in mine, any new kid is going to get torn apart when he first starts. People like osustuident need stewards to represent them, and hopefully learn from them to represent themselves. You aren't born with the entire contract language memorized.

HazMatMan

Thanks

Nobody will make you lift over 70 pounds by yourself but you. If you encounter an overweight package then "ASK FOR HELP" Don't try to be a superstar and lift it yourself. They don't abuse the worker's body, they just abuse the worker..