Net Neutrality

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We've got less than 24 hours left to protect net neutrality - The Guardian

Giant corporations shouldn’t dictate how we use the internet. Most people agree with that principle, and that’s why the Federal Communications Commission passed the incredibly popular net neutrality rules in 2015. The Trump administration’s political appointees are attempting to roll these protections back. You’ve got less than 24 hours left to make your voice heard.

Sportello

We've got less than 24 hours left to protect net neutrality - The Guardian

Giant corporations shouldn’t dictate how we use the internet. Most people agree with that principle, and that’s why the Federal Communications Commission passed the incredibly popular net neutrality rules in 2015. The Trump administration’s political appointees are attempting to roll these protections back. You’ve got less than 24 hours left to make your voice heard.
Your kind wanted Obama gone, and his policies. Live with it.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Your kind wanted Obama gone, and his policies. Live with it.
Wrong, not your fault though.

What Is Confirmation Bias? - Psychology Today

Confirmation bias occurs from the direct influence of desire on beliefs. When people would like a certain idea/concept to be true, they end up believing it to be true. They are motivated by wishful thinking. This error leads the individual to stop gathering information when the evidence gathered so far confirms the views (prejudices) one would like to be true.

Sportello

Wrong, not your fault though.

What Is Confirmation Bias? - Psychology Today

Confirmation bias occurs from the direct influence of desire on beliefs. When people would like a certain idea/concept to be true, they end up believing it to be true. They are motivated by wishful thinking. This error leads the individual to stop gathering information when the evidence gathered so far confirms the views (prejudices) one would like to be true.
That Johnson guy wasn't going to make it.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
That Johnson guy wasn't going to make it.
I agree, he never had a chance. I voted for him anyway.

I wanted to vote, couldn't vote for Hilary or Trump, so I voted for Johnson. Didn't support Johnson's stance about a lot of issues, but disagreed with the other 2 a lot more.

I live in California so my vote didn't count anyway.

Sportello

I agree, he never had a chance. I voted for him anyway.

I wanted to vote, couldn't vote for Hilary or Trump, so I voted for Johnson. Didn't support Johnson's stance about a lot of issues, but disagreed with the other 2 a lot more.

I live in California so my vote didn't count anyway.
By vocally supporting Johnson you contributed to what we have today. Too bad, so sad.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
By vocally supporting Johnson you contributed to what we have today. Too bad, so sad.
Okay, thank you for sharing your opinion. I chose not to support either Hillary or Trump. If that makes you angry at me then that's your problem.

I have a good friend of 35+ years and a couple of relatives that strongly supported Hilary. We went to a bar to watch the McGregor Mayweather fight with a very serious Hillary supporter. We had a great time. No problems.

I have a couple of close relatives that support Trump. Went to see a concert at the Greek Theater in LA with them last night. We talked openly about our opinions and are all still respectful of one another and had a great time. No problems.

I wish you had the same tolerance for differing opinions. Having a different perception of politics doesn't make anyone your enemy, it's just different opinions. Just like different races or cultures doesn't make them your enemy.

Tolerance of diversity is a good thing. I embrace it.

Sportello

I'm not angry with you, but I don't have any empathy for you, either.

I have plenty of tolerance for differing opinions, and don't feel the need to point out I have ____ friends so I can't possibly be ____.

As far as Net Neutrality goes, Libertarians aren't going to save it, Republicans are going to destroy it, Democrats are the only choice. Perhaps not the ideal choice, but there is such a thing as the lesser of two evils.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

I have plenty of tolerance for differing opinions, and don't feel the need to point out I have ____ friends so I can't possibly be ____.

As far as Net Neutrality goes, Libertarians aren't going to save it, Republicans are going to destroy it, Democrats are the only choice. Perhaps not the ideal choice, but there is such a thing as the lesser of two evils.

Libertarians make the case: net neutrality is unconstitutional - Arstechnica

I'm very much a supporter of net neutrality. Even though I strongly disagree with the Libertarian party on this one very important issue I still chose to vote for Johnson instead of Hillary or Trump. I disagree with them more on other issues.

Star B

White Lightening
Remember this, Tom Wheeler, the dude that drafted and eventually got NN rules passed, was a former CEO of the CTIA, an industry trade group made up of ISPs. Y'know, the ones that had a huge horse in this battle.

I don't care who voted who right now, what I want is this ruling to stay. The internet is as ubiquitous as water and power, just like how the telephone used to be in the past. The ISPs should be Title II carriers and held to the same regards as the utilities.

Let's put it another way, would the internet be where it is now if AT&T/your local bellco was able to say "You can't use AOL because you have to use AT&T Internet, Inc?".

Yes, the cable companies would have eventually came around anyway, but you have to remember that dialup was the #1 consumer way to get "connected"... whether it was a 2400 baud connection to AOL/Compuserve/Delphi or their local BBS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

These two attributes are mutually exclusive ... if you don't have empathy, you can't have tolerance!

Sportello

These two attributes are mutually exclusive ... if you don't have empathy, you can't have tolerance!
I can put up with something without relating to it, how's that?

I can tolerate mosquitoes, but I don't feel for them. Geez, do you have to suck up to the boss to keep your crappy job here?:wink-very:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Write to Congress to support Net Neutrality in under 2 minutes

Text RESIST to 50409 and Resistbot will find out who represents you in Congress, and deliver your message to them in under 2 minutes. No downloads or apps required.

Resistbot