Net Neutrality

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
A government takeover of the Internet...which of course was created BY THE GOVERNMENT and given away to the private sector.
And if the government had control of it the whole time, we would have a modern day internet.
It is the PRIVATE SECTOR that makes the internet great.
Like I said in my previous post, 330 new pages of governmental rules and regulations are just about to be implemented.

It is just sad that the public doesn't get to see those regulations until some Washington (unelected) beurocrat decides. What a crock.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And if the government had control of it the whole time, we would have a modern day internet.
Like I said in my previous post, 330 new pages of governmental rules and regulations are just about to be implemented.

It is just sad that the public doesn't get to see those regulations until some Washington (unelected) bureaucrat decides. What a crock.
You are probably right in some ways but the main thrust was to keep the government and corporations from trying to control the Internet and keep the free flow of information to private citizens.
Time will tell.

realbrown1

You are probably right in some ways but the main thrust was to keep the government and corporations from trying to control the Internet and keep the free flow of information to private citizens.
Time will tell.
I hope so. But they will probably set up a whole Internet Administration. A new level of government beurocrats.

Sportello

I see at least three recent comments, one from a supposedly 'smart' person , that show an amazing lack of understanding of what net neutrality is, or means.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I see at least three recent comments, one from a supposedly 'smart' person , that show an amazing lack of understanding of what net neutrality is, or means.
My understanding of net neutrality that Internet service providers should enable access to all their customers to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.
I believe that "lack of control" extends to the government.

Of course, we will not know what it actually is until it is implemented and enforced.

What is your understanding?

oldngray

nowhere special
The concept of net neutrality sounds good on paper but the problem is the increased government control and increased fees to consumers to pay for the regulation. Even more important is the secrecy over exactly what was just passed since nobody was allowed to see it. You need to pass it to find out what's in it sounds a bit familiar.

Net-Regs-NRD-600.jpg

Nimnim

The Nim
I like the fundamental idea of net neutrality, equal access and all regardless of source and funding, but I cannot say if that is what the FCC passed because they refuse to post the contents of what they voted on so far. Something as important as this should not be pushed through without the general public who will be most affected by it not knowing what it entails. Over 300 pages of regulations, for something as simple to say as "equal access to content on the internet without interference from content or service providers," really can be done in 10 pages or less.

I fear what I think is good idea will almost certainly be rife with corrupt dealings, and without the information regarding the new regulations my fear will not be dispelled.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself

It is just sad that the public doesn't get to see those regulations until some Washington (unelected) beurocrat decides. What a crock.
For nearly ONE-HUNDRED YEARS, there was a telephone monopoly. You literally could not own a phone or attach your own equipent to the phone lines. You had to rent your phone monthly.

It was only due to government regulation that the innovations that led to cell phones etc. - and in fact THE INTERNET AS WE KNOW IT, came into being.

First with the Carterphone decision in the 60s which allowed non-AT&T equipment to be hooked to the lines, to the Sprint decision later that decade which allowed competing long-distance, and finally to the government mandate breakup of AT&T in the early 1980s.

Before this, you could not attach anything to the phone lines that AT&T didn't rent to you. For example - THE MODEM. The thing that made the internet as a widespread phenomenon take off. And of course, competing carriers such as CELL PHONE CARRIERS.

WITHOUT government intervention and regulation, we would still have ONE phone company with high prices, no internet, and we'd be RENTING WIRED phones with rotary and touch-tone dials.

Brownys statements are not only confused, it's the direct opposite of reality.

realbrown1

For nearly ONE-HUNDRED YEARS, there was a telephone monopoly. You literally could not own a phone or attach your own equipent to the phone lines. You had to rent your phone monthly.

It was only due to government regulation that the innovations that led to cell phones etc. - and in fact THE INTERNET AS WE KNOW IT, came into being.

First with the Carterphone decision in the 60s which allowed non-AT&T equipment to be hooked to the lines, to the Sprint decision later that decade which allowed competing long-distance, and finally to the government mandate breakup of AT&T in the early 1980s.

Before this, you could not attach anything to the phone lines that AT&T didn't rent to you. For example - THE MODEM. The thing that made the internet as a widespread phenomenon take off. And of course, competing carriers such as CELL PHONE CARRIERS.

WITHOUT government intervention and regulation, we would still have ONE phone company with high prices, no internet, and we'd be RENTING WIRED phones with rotary and touch-tone dials.

Brownys statements are not only confused, it's the direct opposite of reality.
Have you read the 330 odd pages of rules and regulations the FCC created for the internet?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Until recently, I agree.
They brought this on themselves by false advertising, throttling and other "control" strategies to maximize their profits and reduce investments in infrastructure. I see the Internet sort of like electricity ... equal access and use it for whatever you want.

realbrown1

Until recently, I agree.
They brought this on themselves by false advertising, throttling and other "control" strategies to maximize their profits and reduce investments in infrastructure. I see the Internet sort of like electricity ... equal access and use it for whatever you want.
As long as the government acts as just a regulator to keep the internet OPEN, I can live with it.

But that will depend on those 330 some pages of R + R's they have.