Net Neutrality

wkmac

If you know the history of how the FCC came to be starting with the Radio Act of 1912' passed in the shadow of the Titanic sinking and growing from there, regardless of where you stand on Net Neutrality, this is still funny IMO.

wkmac

I like the idea that the global collective of hackers known as the CCC (Chaos Computer Club) are working towards and that is a kind of off grid network out of reach of both corp. and state hands. The network would not only be fully open source but for all practical purpose, free of charge for both access and use. May seem impossible but then so was flight and going to the moon once considered as such.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The Campaign Cash That Can Kill the Open Internet - Daily Beast

All but two of the 31 co-sponsors of a House bill to kill net neutrality received thousands from telecoms in just the last election cycle. Is their cash enough to end a free Web?

“The Internet Freedom Act” is a House bill intended to destroy newly instituted Net Neutrality rights. And of the bill's 31 co-sponsors, all but two of them received money from a major telecom or its lobby in 2014 alone.

The 29 co-sponsors received over $800,000 from AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and their lobby, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association (NCTA).

Sportello

Looks like Realbrown1 and the others were wrong about the net neutrality rules. They were released today, and are all of three pages.

Actual rules are on page 283 to 290 (appendix A). Everything else is comments, history, legal justification, etc.

The only part that we'd care about is 283-285, the rest is procedures for enforcing the rules.

Direct link: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0312/FCC-15-24A1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No throttling except for "Reasonable Network Management" seems like a pretty broad term. Still leaves the ISP's plenty of room to shaft people.
"No Paid Prioritization", and then goes on to say unless the commission grants a waiver, oh brother.

Republicans should be happy about these rules, they really aren't that bad for ISP's.

Sportello

This is a gem. It is the 'graded' copy of Marco Rubio's Op-Ed on Net Neutrality by Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), a former teacher. This is from Rep Takano's Facebook page:

11018895_649787601816980_1597697562624006597_n.jpg

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
AT&T, Verizon and telco pals file lawsuit to KILL net neutrality FOREVER - The Register

AT&T, Verizon, and others, represented by trade body USTelecom, will drag the Federal Communications Commission to the appeals court in Washington DC in a bid to overturn fresh rules on what ISPs can and can't do with internet connections on US soil.

The Google-friendly regulations, which will treat broadband services like phone lines, are quite radical, so legal challenges were expected.

USTelecom's "protective petition" lawsuit, which you can read below or here as a PDF, was filed on Monday, and comes after a similar sueball was lobbed at the FCC by Texas ISP Alamo Broadband in New Orleans.

Sportello

AT&T, Verizon and telco pals file lawsuit to KILL net neutrality FOREVER - The Register

AT&T, Verizon, and others, represented by trade body USTelecom, will drag the Federal Communications Commission to the appeals court in Washington DC in a bid to overturn fresh rules on what ISPs can and can't do with internet connections on US soil.

The Google-friendly regulations, which will treat broadband services like phone lines, are quite radical, so legal challenges were expected.

USTelecom's "protective petition" lawsuit, which you can read below or here as a PDF, was filed on Monday, and comes after a similar sueball was lobbed at the FCC by Texas ISP Alamo Broadband in New Orleans.
That's a shocker. Big business is against net neutrality, just like the Republicans.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Republicans can’t overturn the FCC’s new net neutrality rules without this Democrat. And he’s not playing along. - Washington Post

It's no secret that Republicans want to replace the Federal Communications Commission's new net neutrality regulations with legislation. But they need Democrats to do it — and at least one prominent liberal is signaling that he won't go along with the plan unless the GOP substantially changes the deal on the table.

Sen. Bill Nelson (Fla.) is the top Democrat on the Senate Commerce Committee. On Wednesday, he reiterated what he's been saying for weeks: That he's open to working with Republicans on a "truly bipartisan" bill aimed at preventing Internet providers from speeding up, slowing down or blocking Web sites. But he'll only cooperate, he said, "provided such action fully protects consumers, does not undercut the FCC's role and leaves the agency with flexible, forward-looking authority to respond to the changes in this dynamic broadband marketplace."

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
U.S. Senator Rand Paul moves to block new 'net neutrality' rules - Reuters

The move marks the most proactive position yet by Paul, a libertarian from Kentucky, on net neutrality, the principle that Internet providers should treat all Web traffic equally. The issue has grabbed national attention and prompted a record 4 million comments to the FCC, many of them from regular Americans calling to restrict Internet providers.

Paul's position, shared by anti-regulation conservatives, pits him against net neutrality advocates in the technology and startup communities.

"The Internet has successfully flourished without the heavy hand of government interference," Paul said in a statement. "Stated simply, I do not want to see the government regulating the Internet."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Rand Paul is misinformed, or an outright tool of Corporate America.

The internet was developed by and funded by the US government.
http://www.internetsociety.org/inte...ernet/brief-history-internet-related-networks
The gist of Rand Paul's speech was that the Internet's reach, ubiquity and development as a commerce generator was accomplished without government oversight and rules.
The US government's attempt to regulate and control the Internet is at the behest of Corporate America.

Two strikes ... be careful with your response.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The gist of Rand Paul's speech was that the Internet's reach, ubiquity and development as a commerce generator was accomplished without government oversight and rules.
The US government's attempt to regulate and control the Internet is at the behest of Corporate America.

If no one knows the meaning of ubiquity....who have you reached ??? Much like what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Sportello

My response is, you know not of what you are talking about. Take me out of the queue and I'll respond with actual facts, not political BS or paleolibertarian talking points.

Sportello

I'm sure you could look it up, but you'd have to have an open mind to accept that you're wrong.

That will never happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If no one knows the meaning of ubiquity....who have you reached ??? Much like what is the sound of one hand clapping?

If you find it difficult to keep up due to our use of big words perhaps you should stay in the Nothingness Fluff Part 2 thread. No need to use your brain in there.