New 18 second rule for bulkhead door.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I'm going to buy stock in Hewlett Packard.

Why? Because at the current rate of ORION and Telematics expansion, it will be less than 5 years before UPS consumes the entire worlwide supply of printer ink cartridges.
We should just buy ink by the barrel.
At my center the supervisors don't ever mention the word scratch or Orion for that matter. There's a report everyday, but nothing ever gets said.
Same in mine. They get posted on a bulletin board so everybody can see it, but that's about it. Only time someone talks about it is when the seat belt is off in travel.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Same in mine. They get posted on a bulletin board so everybody can see it, but that's about it. Only time someone talks about it is when the seat belt is off in travel.
It shouldn't be posted. Those numbers are to be between managment and the employee only. Everyone else doesn't have a right to see them.

Fragile

Everyone, listen very carefully.

What doesn't matter to them during peak, doesn't matter to me the entire year.

PU compliance, trace, telematics, leads, DOK, mychoice, etc all go out the window during peak. Must not be that important.

Give the customers their packages and keep it movin'.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It shouldn't be posted. Those numbers are to be between managment and the employee only. Everyone else doesn't have a right to see them.
The rule is that they cant post anything that can potentially be used for discipline against an employee. So I think its great that they post stuff like ORION and Telematics compliance for all to see.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
This Metric was a Hot issue for drivers running over allowed in my center for last year and the year before . I filed a grievance over harassment over this very issue as the need to hydrate and urinate will often consume much of the 18 seconds . My grievance was upheld at panel and that was pretty much that.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have been on Orion for a year. A couple of weeks ago we we're told there was a new report that was going to be hot. If you have 1 package for a stop you have 18 seconds to open your bulk head door, find the package and close your bulk head door. At the end of the day the report will talley up how many times you failed at doing this. On top of this the report will show how long your bulk head door was open all day. If you are at the bottom of the list you will be talked to.
The big offenders are told that if they can't find the package within 18 seconds close the door then reopen it because this resets the clock.
If you have a bulk stop to deliver out the back, keep the bulkhead door closed. (I think this one is a safety issue if it is hot outside not having ventilation.)
Someone needs to make a movie about this job with Orion.
This is correct, (the 18 second rule). It does exist and shows up on the ORION reports. I was looking at them a few days ago. There is also the four (4) second rule - has to do with the time from clicking the start on the car, to the vehicle moving? Or something similar to that, another in the start-stop routine.

nayrsiem

This Metric was a Hot issue for drivers running over allowed in my center for last year and the year before . I filed a grievance over harassment over this very issue as the need to hydrate and urinate will often consume much of the 18 seconds . My grievance was upheld at panel and that was pretty much that.

Wait, you pee with the door open? :)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Division Manager mentioned the 18 second selection time during a PCM one morning. I then asked him if the Preload was going to finally start loading my car stop by stop. I have never had a perfect load in the lat 31 years, I'm not holding my breath waiting on one.

Overpaid Union Thug

I first read the initial post in this thread while on lunch today. Afterwards, as I was working, I caught myself smiling every time I spent "too much time" in the back of the truck. At one stop I realized that it truly is amazing just how many metrics, reports, and power points are generated throughout the day from the moment we start the truck in the morning to the moment we clock out. Then I thought to myself.....how much paper (money) has ups wasted on these reports? How many man hours (money) has UPS waisted on empty suits poring over such reports? And finally.....why can't UPS (despite all of these reports) figure out what is wrong with UPS today and why we are literally handing FedEx our work on a platter? Then it hit me. The answer to the latter is in the questions themselves. UPS is suffering from a self inflicted slow death by "Pearson's Law" (http://positioningsystems.com/blog.php?entryID=67). It is very similar to how someone can slowly kill themselves with otherwise harmless foods by eating them much more than moderately. There is actually nothing wrong with metrics if used moderately just like there is nothing wrong with eating pizza once in a while. But UPS is using metrics much like the obese man who attacks the local pizza buffet. Both are slowly but surely killing themselves.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
What I find funny about this is the fact that you are told to utilize your 30 inch selection area throughout the day to keep your time in the back to a minimum, but are given no time allowance to move your 5-8 sections to the front of the truck. It doesn't matter if you drive a 500 or a 1200.

You get the same 18 second allowance for an envelope as you do for the 65 pound outdoor loveseat I had to deliver yesterday.

It's your fault if your preloader sucks and you cant find anything.

When I was shown how bad I sucked on this report, I told my bosses that when they give me a perfect lip-loaded PC, no misloads, and no bulk down the middle, I will try and look better on this report, but until that happens, I don't care as their are too many variables involved on a day to day basis.
Im blaming it all on HELLEN KELLER and STEVIE WONDER lmfao

FilingBluesFL

WIth all these metrics and reports and crap, I wouldn't be surprised if the NSA wasn't running IE in Atlanta with the way they're sticking their noses so far up our butts.

youllbefine

Who ever told you that is full of it. Don't believe everything you hear.......

There is one problem the telematics sensors don't work when the car is off.
Wrong they do report back and he is 100% correct on this 18 second rule. We don't have Orion yet but they are busting our balls everyday about these things