New 18 second rule for bulkhead door.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The progression is simple and inevitable. In layman's terms it is known as a "negative feedback loop."

New technology has given UPS the ability to measure an ever-increasing number of job elements.

Once a job element can be measured, it will be managed.

Once that job element starts being managed, it will be micro-managed.

An ever-increasing level of micro-management will inevitably lead to a loss in efficiency, which will trigger the development of even newer technology that can measure even more job elements, in a process which will continue ad infinitum.
Welcome to the IRS, more broadly, the government.

Overpaid Union Thug

The progression is simple and inevitable. In layman's terms it is known as a "negative feedback loop."

New technology has given UPS the ability to measure an ever-increasing number of job elements.

Once a job element can be measured, it will be managed.

Once that job element starts being managed, it will be micro-managed.

An ever-increasing level of micro-management will inevitably lead to a loss in efficiency, which will trigger the development of even newer technology that can measure even more job elements, in a process which will continue ad infinitum.
Exactly!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Could you point me to this rule please.

The only thing UPS cannot post is covered in Article 10 Section 2 of the Master.

The Employer will not post or make available for viewing in the work place any employee’s social security number or home telephone number. In areas where bidding systems require both a signature and a phone number, an employee will have the option of providing his/her phone number privately to the person controlling the bid.
I think you are actually correct. The rule I was referring to is an agreement reached between the company and my Local, over a grievance that was filed. I may be misunderstanding the wording of the agreement.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I average between 20 and 30 stops a day that are bagged and Driver Released behind a closed gate out in a rural area.

Ever tried to open up a DR bag outside in the wind and rain? Ever tried to open one up with one hand while you are holding the package in the other and walking to the gate? Ever tried to scan a barcode after you have already put the package in a bag?

Sorry, ain't happening. Stops like these get removed from the shelf and placed on the drivers seat. Then I scan and stop-complete them. Then I use both hands to pull a bag off the roll, shake it open, and put the package in the bag. Only then do I shut the BH door, exit the vehicle, and walk the stop off. If its not too windy I can tie a knot in the bag while I am walking, otherwise that happens in the truck also. All that in an average of 18 seconds per package? LMFAO!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think you are actually correct. The rule I was referring to is an agreement reached between the company and my Local, over a grievance that was filed. I may be misunderstanding the wording of the agreement.
Hopefully that is correct.

I believe production numbers and telematic results of employees should not be posted for everyone to see.

I was hoping you could give me a grievance settlement or something to that affect that would have this in writing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I average between 20 and 30 stops a day that are bagged and Driver Released behind a closed gate out in a rural area.

Ever tried to open up a DR bag outside in the wind and rain? Ever tried to open one up with one hand while you are holding the package in the other and walking to the gate? Ever tried to scan a barcode after you have already put the package in a bag?

Sorry, ain't happening. Stops like these get removed from the shelf and placed on the drivers seat. Then I scan and stop-complete them. Then I use both hands to pull a bag off the roll, shake it open, and put the package in the bag. Only then do I shut the BH door, exit the vehicle, and walk the stop off. If its not too windy I can tie a knot in the bag while I am walking, otherwise that happens in the truck also. All that in an average of 18 seconds per package? LMFAO!

If you know that you are going to have to bag the package why can't you grab a bag while you are getting the package and then close the BH door? Why does the door have to remain open if you are no longer in the cargo area?

On a related note, how many of you still contend that this is not a production job?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I will leave the bulkhead door open as long as it takes, I really don't care about the "flavor of the week". In fact, I usually leave it open until I walk back to my car as long as my car is in sight.

box_beeyotch

You have way too many years left to have this kind of attitude.

I don't know how things are in your local, but our hourlies around here don't put up with this kind of stupid harassment. I'm a human being, not a robot and my goal daily isn't to meet every stupid little number they deem as important. I work hard and safe to get done everyday with no accidents or injuries and if I dont meet the magic numbers, I really don't care. Fire me.