New 18 second rule for bulkhead door.

Rainman

Its all good.
If you are delivering a bulk stop out of the back why would you need to have the bulkhead door open?

18 seconds may not sound like a lot of time but it should be more than enough to open the door, select the package(s) and close the door. I disagree with closing the door within that time just to stay off a report----that would waste more time than it would save.
If you have a good load, yes. If your loader is like the one I've had lately, no.

youllbefine

We have guys being an hour under still getting called in to the office for being over on the 18 seconds and also their walk back time

wayfair

swollen member
This is correct, (the 18 second rule). It does exist and shows up on the ORION reports. I was looking at them a few days ago. There is also the four (4) second rule - has to do with the time from clicking the start on the car, to the vehicle moving? Or something similar to that, another in the start-stop routine.

were you getting paid to look at those reports?

Boulevard859710

We have been on Orion for a year. A couple of weeks ago we we're told there was a new report that was going to be hot. If you have 1 package for a stop you have 18 seconds to open your bulk head door, find the package and close your bulk head door. At the end of the day the report will talley up how many times you failed at doing this. On top of this the report will show how long your bulk head door was open all day. If you are at the bottom of the list you will be talked to.
The big offenders are told that if they can't find the package within 18 seconds close the door then reopen it because this resets the clock.
If you have a bulk stop to deliver out the back, keep the bulkhead door closed. (I think this one is a safety issue if it is hot outside not having ventilation.)
Someone needs to make a movie about this job with Orion.
Yet more bull:censored2: we have to deal with.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Not true.

Well, if the led light is on, it's on. The head lights work with the engine off yes? Not trying to just argue the point, but I've already seen discipline threatened to an individual that generated a "recording in motion" when the car was shut off and coasting, (i know, it's very dumb) because they thought telematics was turned off when the engine was. It was not. If it's generating bulkhead info when the car is turned off its not a surprise. UPS has said from day one that they intended to add more measurements and reports as time went on. I know, it's also dumb.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is actually nothing wrong with metrics if used moderately just like there is nothing wrong with eating pizza once in a while. But UPS is using metrics much like the obese man who attacks the local pizza buffet. Both are slowly but surely killing themselves.

The progression is simple and inevitable. In layman's terms it is known as a "negative feedback loop."

New technology has given UPS the ability to measure an ever-increasing number of job elements.

Once a job element can be measured, it will be managed.

Once that job element starts being managed, it will be micro-managed.

An ever-increasing level of micro-management will inevitably lead to a loss in efficiency, which will trigger the development of even newer technology that can measure even more job elements, in a process which will continue ad infinitum.

ArcherUTR

If you are delivering a bulk stop out of the back why would you need to have the bulkhead door open?

18 seconds may not sound like a lot of time but it should be more than enough to open the door, select the package(s) and close the door. I disagree with closing the door within that time just to stay off a report----that would waste more time than it would save.

Yeah, you try finding some 8000 shelf stops during your next day air run.

Or getting your dolly out for 25 stops.

Mandate to call all misloads in by 2pm.

Irregs, pissing in a bottle, shelf selection, getting into your cooler, missing packages...

ArcherUTR

If they cant post anything that can be used for discipline...and they post everyone's ORION and Telematics compliance numbers...it would follow that those numbers cant be used for discipline.

So lets say that this morning I got a warning letter for being habitually late. Just sayin'. They post our times and our performance numbers on a form on a bulletin board. This one form is performance rather than telematics.

Next to your name is an 'L' if you punched in after the start time in your board. Is this a logical followup to your conclusion.

Cementups

Box Monkey
So lets say that this morning I got a warning letter for being habitually late. Just sayin'. They post our times and our performance numbers on a form on a bulletin board. This one form is performance rather than telematics.

Next to your name is an 'L' if you punched in after the start time in your board. Is this a logical followup to your conclusion.

Change your start time to when you punched in then.
You also are not guaranteed your 8 if you "punch in late"

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The rule is that they cant post anything that can potentially be used for discipline against an employee. So I think its great that they post stuff like ORION and Telematics compliance for all to see.
Could you point me to this rule please.

The only thing UPS cannot post is covered in Article 10 Section 2 of the Master.

The Employer will not post or make available for viewing in the work place any employee’s social security number or home telephone number. In areas where bidding systems require both a signature and a phone number, an employee will have the option of providing his/her phone number privately to the person controlling the bid.

O

OLDMAN3

When Telematics first came out they tried to use the info to crack down on selective drivers. Each of us was brought individually into the office and they asked us multiple questions about the 25+ pages of information it gathered for just one driver in just one day. Why did it take you 10 minutes to drive here? Why did it take you 8 minutes to deliver these 12 packages. Why was your bulkhead door open when you closed out that stop or sheeted that package? etc. etc. Huge waste of time so they stopped. It was an easy 15 minutes of pay each morning while it lasted. Eventually "I don't recall exactly" became my constant response.

It is all a bunch of nothing. If they dare hand me a warning letter I will grieve it and win. The intent is to make you feel they are watching you constantly, in reality they have no real clue what is actually going on out there. Virtual supervision will never be effective unless drivers become paranoid over it. Do the job the right way and don't pay any attention to how it looks on paper, it makes the job a lot more tolerable.

OPTION3

When Telematics first came out they tried to use the info to crack down on selective drivers. Each of us was brought individually into the office and they asked us multiple questions about the 25+ pages of information it gathered for just one driver in just one day. Why did it take you 10 minutes to drive here? Why did it take you 8 minutes to deliver these 12 packages. Why was your bulkhead door open when you closed out that stop or sheeted that package? etc. etc. Huge waste of time so they stopped. It was an easy 15 minutes of pay each morning while it lasted. Eventually "I don't recall exactly" became my constant response.

It is all a bunch of nothing. If they dare hand me a warning letter I will grieve it and win. The intent is to make you feel they are watching you constantly, in reality they have no real clue what is actually going on out there. Virtual supervision will never be effective unless drivers become paranoid over it. Do the job the right way and don't pay any attention to how it looks on paper, it makes the job a lot more tolerable.
My answer used to be," I was working SAFELY".....same result

Fragile

I was told to do it once by a previous center manager so I was just passing it onto you. But I had the same question you did.

Drivers get fired for this all the time around here and the continue to do it.

Don't do it. You're falsifying by hiding your lateness and changing your posted start time. Major integrity issue.