New Contract

mikestrek

I couldn't agree more. I have received those "Signing bonus" in the past and long term we were cut short. I voted no but I was way out numbered by a bunch of guys that wanted some quick cash. I say we vote YES or NO without a signing bonus hanging over all of our heads.

Signing bonuses are to sell bad contracts. You want no part of them.

satellitedriver

It might also imply the company knows the PT'ers outnumber the FT'ers by a margin big enough to ratify the contract if the company waves a large sum of "beer money" in front of the PT'ers noses.
Considering the huge turn over of PT'ers, the company knows these people aren't gonna be around very long so they (PT'ers) are the people to romance and pump full of pizza and soda pop.
As far as "investing" the bonus..........it will be gone after a couple of weekends of "setting them up" at the local bar.
What you say might be true.
Then why has the teamsters consistently screwed over the part timers in the contracts? If their vote carries so much weight, the union should try and improve their working conditions.
IMHO, both the company and the union do not take good care of the foundation(the partimers) we fulltimers stand on.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of the points in the more P/Ters vs, the FTers Debate is this: While the Part Timers outnumber the Full Timers, there are less of them that join the Union, so they don't vote in enough numbers. It would be interesting to see exactly what percentage of PTers do join the Union. I didn't join the first couple of years because I wasn't planning on staying at UPS as a career. This is definitely one of the biggest problems that UPS has, and that is paying and retaining quality workers. The PT pay is ridicules, it should be raised a couple of dollars an hour to be competitive in the marketplace.

Pollocknbrown

One of the points in the more P/Ters vs, the FTers Debate is this: While the Part Timers outnumber the Full Timers, there are less of them that join the Union, so they don't vote in enough numbers. It would be interesting to see exactly what percentage of PTers do join the Union. I didn't join the first couple of years because I wasn't planning on staying at UPS as a career. This is definitely one of the biggest problems that UPS has, and that is paying and retaining quality workers. The PT pay is ridicules, it should be raised a couple of dollars an hour to be competitive in the marketplace.

Isn't joining the union not exactly optional?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Isn't joining the union not exactly optional?

I'm in a Right to Work state. That means that you don't have to join the union if you don't want to. And you still get the same pay and benefits as a "bargaining unit", as UPS like to call us. I started in my Hub in 1975, joined the IBT in 1978, then went into Package in 1984. The way we are worked, I think that it is a wise choice to join the Teamsters to cover our backs.

Pollocknbrown

I'm in a Right to Work state. That means that you don't have to join the union if you don't want to. And you still get the same pay and benefits as a "bargaining unit", as UPS like to call us. I started in my Hub in 1975, joined the IBT in 1978, then went into Package in 1984. The way we are worked, I think that it is a wise choice to join the Teamsters to cover our backs.

Would make sense, My state isn't a Right to work state, so I'd have no idea what your talking about. Not like it matters, i would join from the get go anyways just to get it out ofthe way.

tom d

Hi, I"m new to this site. I am looking for information about your pensions. I am a member of local 804 in NY and have been a package driver for thirty six years. I have been through many contracts and strikes with UPS.. This is no doubt the worst contract I have ssen. Our pension hasn"t change since the 2002 contract and will probably not be increased until this one ends. How much of a pension do you receive for 25 and 55 and 30 regardless.

tom d

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hi, I"m new to this site. I am looking for information about your pensions. I am a member of local 804 in NY and have been a package driver for thirty six years. I have been through many contracts and strikes with UPS.. This is no doubt the worst contract I have ssen. Our pension hasn"t change since the 2002 contract and will probably not be increased until this one ends. How much of a pension do you receive for 25 and 55 and 30 regardless.

tom d
http://makeupsdeliver.org/news.php?extend.84
I hope this helps tom, just got this info tonight. Here in 705 we receive $108 a month for every year of service, no cap on years of service, or $100 a month for every year of service plus a $1000 a year retirement bonus, 30 years=$30,000 bonus.